In this paper, a novel technique for improving the torque characteristics of the Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor is proposed using rotor shape optimization. The main objective is to decrease the torque ripple while increasing average torque. The improvement process is performed for the maximum torque-angle operating point, and then studies are carried out for other currents and angles. Defining a multi-element grid on rotor surface regions in which each element could be either iron or air, the best practical rotor surface topology could be obtained to improve the overall torque characteristics of IPMSM. The best motor performance is achieved using practical rotor shapes obtained from a cluster of points in average torque versus torque ripple plane. Finally, for torque ripple cancellation, two or three alternate rotor configurations with optimized average torque and out of phase torque pulsation have been selected. This selection will guarantee improved average torque while mitigating torque pulsation by a significant margin. Using this method, a rotor topology obtained in which torque ripple is reduced by 80% with slightly improved average torque.
2. Yoon, M. H., D. Y. Kim, S. I. Kim, and J. P. Hong, "An asymmetric rotor design of interior permanent magnet synchronous motor for improving torque performance," Journal of Magnetics, Vol. 20, No. 4, 387-393, 2015.
3. Li, G. J., B. Ren, Z. Q. Zhu, Y. X. Li, and J. Ma, "Cogging torque mitigation of modular permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. X, 2015.
4. Jiang, J. W., B. Bilgin, Y. Yang, A. Sathyan, H. Dadkhah, and A. Emadi, "Rotor skew pattern design and optimization for cogging torque reduction," IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, 2015.
5. Hwang, K. Y., J. H. Jo, and B. I. Kwon, "A study on optimal pole design of spoke-type IPMSM with concentrated winding for reducing the torque ripple by experiment design method," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4712-4715, Oct. 2009.
6. Han, S. H., T. M. Jahns, W. L. Soong, M. K. Güven, and M. S. Illindala, "Torque ripple reduction in interior permanent magnet synchronous machines using stators with odd number of slots per pole pair," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 1, 118-127, Mar. 2010.
7. Yamazaki, K., M. Kumagai, T. Ikemi, and S. Ohki, "A novel rotor design of interior permanent magnet synchronous motors to cope with both maximum torque and iron loss reduction,", IEEE, 2013.
8. Kim, D. Y., J. K. Nam, and G. H. Jang, "Reduction of magnetically-induced vibration of a spoke-type IPM motor using magneto-mechanical coupled analysis and optimization," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 9, Sep. 2013.
9. Lim, S., S. Min, and J. Hong, "Level-set-based optimal stator design of interior permanent-magnet motor for torque ripple reduction using phase-field model," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 3020-3023, Oct. 2011.
10. Abbasian, M. A., M. Moallem, and B. Fahimi, "Double-Stator Switched Reluctance Machines (DSSRM): Fundamentals and magnetic force analysis," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 3, 589-597, 2010.
11. Yamazaki, K., Y. Kanou, Y. Fukushima, S. Ohki, and A. Nezu, "Reduction of magnet eddy-current loss in interior permanent-magnet motors with concentrated windings," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 46, No. 6, 2434-2441, Nov.-Dec. 2010.
12. Alotto, P., M. Barcaro, N. Bianchi, and M. Guarnieri, "Optimization of interior PM motors with machaon rotor flux barriers," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, 958-961, May 2011.
13. Ishikawa, T., M. Yamada, and N. Kurita, "Design of magnet arrangement in interior permanent magnet synchronous motor by response surface methodology in consideration of torque and vibration," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 5, May 2011.
14. Kim, H. S., Y. M. You, and B. Kwon, "Rotor shape optimization of interior permanent magnet BLDC motor according to magnetization direction," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2193-2196, May 2013.
15. Fei, E. W. and P. C. K. Luk, "Torque ripple reduction of a direct-drive permanent-magnet synchronous machine by material-efficient axial pole pairing," IEEE Transactions Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2601-2611, 2011.
16. Suja, F. R. and P. Melba Mary, "Minimization of torque ripples in permanent magnet synchronous motor-overview," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No. 10, Oct. 2013.
17. Richnow, D. J., D. Gerling, and P. Stenzel, "Torque ripple reduction in permanent magnet synchronous machines with concentrated windings and pre-wound coils," 2014 17th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), Hangzhou, China, Oct. 22-25, 2014.
18. Zhu, W., S. Pekarek, B. Fahimi, and B. J. Deken, "Investigation of force generation in a permanent magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 22, No. 3, 557-565, Sep. 2007.
19. Jiang, W., S. Pekarek, B. Fahimi, and B. J. Deken, "Investigation of force generation in a permanent magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 22, No. 3, Sep. 2007.
20. Jiang, W., M. Moallem, B. Fahimi, and S. Pekarek, "Qualitative investigation of force density components in electromechanical energy conversion process," IECON, 2006.
21. Ghadamyari, M. A., M. Moallem, B. Fahimi, and M. McDonough, "Micro-analysis of electromagnetic force distribution in a simple actuator," 19th International Conference on Computation of Electromagnetic Fields (COMPUMAG), 2013.
22. Kiomarsi, A., M. Moallem, and B. Fahimi, "Mitigation of torque ripple in interior permanent magnet motors via optimal shape design," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, No. 11, Nov. 2006.
23. Gu, L., M. Moallem, E. Bostanci, S. Wang, and P. Devendra, "Extended field reconstruction method for modeling of interior permanent magnet synchronous machines," IEEE Transportations Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), 2016.