In underwater wireless optical communication links, the suspended particles in the water can lead to multi-path transmission of the light, causing the temporal dispersion and attenuation of beam pulse. The scattering phase function is a key parameter to model angle scattering in the Monte Carlo simulation and can be approximated by the commonly used Henyey-Greenstein (HG) phase function, but in turbid sea water environment, the HG phase function cannot match well with the measured value of the particle phase function. In this work, instead of using the HG phase function, we make use of the Petzold's measured data value of the scattering phase function in turbid sea water. We propose a numerical solution for the computing of the scattering angle based on the measured particle phase function and present the difference of effect on temporal dispersion between the measurement and HG phase function. Numerical results show that our model is more accurate than the widely used HG model. An analytic double Gamma function is used to fit the Monte Carlo simulation results, and a good fit is found between the double Gamma function and the Monte Carlo simulations.
2. Anguita, D., D. Brizzolara, and G. Parodi, "Building an underwater wireless sensor network based on optical communication: Research challenges and current results," Int. Conf. On Sensor Technologies and Applications (SENSORCOMM), 476-479, Athens Gree, Aug. 2009.
3. Zhang, H. and Y. Dong, "Impulse response modeling for general underwater wireless optical MIMO links," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 54, No. 2, 56-61, 2016.
4. Cohenour, B. M. and L. J. Mullen, "Channel response measurements for diffuse non-line-sight (NLOS) optical communication links underwater," Proc. 2011 IEEE Oceans Conf., 1-5, 2011.
5. Gabriel, C., M. Khalighi, S. Bourenane, P. Leon, and V. Rigaud, "Channel modeling for underwater optical communication," Proc. 2011 IEEE Workshop on Optical Wireless Communication, Globecom Conf., 833-837, 2011.
6. Liang, B., H. Zhu, and W. Chen, "Simulation of laser communication channel from atmosphere to ocean," ACTA Optical Sinica, Vol. 27, No. 2, 0253-2239, 2007.
7. Dalgeish, F., F. Caimi, and A. Vuorenkoski, "Efficient laser pulse dispersion codes for turbid undersea imaging and communications applications," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 7678, 1-12, 2010.
8. Jaruwatanadilok, S., "Underwater wireless optical communication channel modeling and performance evaluation using vector radiative transfer theory," IEEE Journal on Slected Areas in Communications, Vol. 26, No. 9, 1620-1627, 2008.
9. Hanson, F. and S. Radic, "High bandwidth underwater optical communication," Appl. Opt., Vol. 47, No. 2, 277-283, 2008.
10. Gabriel, C., M. Khalighi, S. Bourenane, P. Leon, and V. Rigaud, "Monte-Carlo-based channel characterization for underwater optical communication systems," J. Opt. Commun. Netw, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-12, 2013.
11. Petzold, T., "Volume scattering functions for selected ocean waters,", 70-78, SIO Ref., Scripps Institution of Oceanography Visibility Laboratory, San Diego, CA, 1972.
12. Mobley, C. D., Light and Water: Radiative Transfer in Natural Waters, Academic Press, 1994.
13. Li, J., Y. Ma, Q. Zhou, B. Zhou, and H. Wang, "Monte Carlo study on pulse response of underwater optical channel," Optical Engineering, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1-5, 2012.
14. Winker, D. M. and L. R. Poole, "Monte Carlo calculation of cloud returns for ground-based and space-based lidars," APPI. Phy. B, Vol. 60, No. 4, 341-344, 1995.
15. Yang, C. C. and K. C. Yeh, "Scattering from a multiple-layered random medium," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 2, No. 12, 2112-2119, 1985.
16. Pral, S. A., M. Keijzer, and S. L. Jacques, "A Monte Carlo of light propagation in tissue," SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 5, 102-111, 1989.
17. Mooradian, G. and M. Celler, "Temporal and angular spreading of bluegreen pulses in clouds," Applied Optics, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1572-1577, 1982.
18. Tang, S., Y. Dong, and X. Zhang, "On impulse response modeling for underwater wireless optical links," Proc. 2013 IEEE/MTS Ocean Conf., 1-4, 2013.
19. Tang, S., Y. Dong, and X. Zhang, "Impulse response modeling for underwater wireless optical communication links," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 62, No. 1, 226-234, 2014.
20. Ding, H., G. Chen, A. Majumdar, B. Sadler, and Z. Xu, "Modeling of non-line-of-sight ultraviolet scattering channels for communication," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 27, No. 9, 1535-1544, 2009.