The interference behaviors of a vector optical field with both radially and azimuthally variant states of polarization (SoP) through the Young's two-slits are theoretically studied. The optical field distribution with periodic stripes in the far field results from the interference of the vector optical field through the Young's two-slits with different initial SoP distributions. It is found that the far-field distribution can be manipulated by the incident vector optical field with the initial phase and SoP distributions. Particularly, the distribution of radially-variant SoP in the cross-section of the incident optical field provides an additional freedom to control the interference patterns of the x-component, y-component and total intensity distribution in far field. This approach provides a new method to further expand the functionality of an optical system by considering the distribution of SoP in field cross-section.
2. Chen, R. P., Z. Chen, K. H. Chew, P. G. Li, Z. Yu, J. Ding, and S. He, "Structured caustic vector vortex optical field: Manipulating optical angular momentum flux and polarization rotation," Scientific Reports, Vol. 5, 10628, 2015.
3. Waller, E. H. and G. Freymann, "Independent spatial intensity, phase and polarization distribution," Optics Express, Vol. 21, 28167-28174, 2013.
4. Chen, R. P., K. H. Chew, B. Gu, and G. Zhou, "Effect of a spiral phase on a vector beam with hybrid polarization states," Journal of Optics, Vol. 17, 065605, 2015.
5. Bomzon, Z., V. Kleiner, and E. Hasman, "Computer-generated space-variant polarization elements with subwavelength metal stripes," Optics Letters, Vol. 26, 33-35, 2001.
6. Chen, R., K. Agarwal, J. R. Colin, Sheppard, and X. D. Chen, "Imaging using cylindrical vector beams in a high numerical-aperture microscopy system," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, 3111-3114, 2013.
7. Visser, J., E. R. Elier, and G. Nierhuis, "Polarization entanglement in a crystal with three fold symmetry," Physical Review A, Vol. 66, 033814, 2002.
8. Dorn, R., S. Quabis, and G. Leuchs, "Sharper focus for a radially polarized beam," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 91, 233901, 2003.
9. Tian, B. and J. Pu, "Tight focusing of a double-ring-shaped azimuthally polarized beam," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 2014-2016, 2011.
10. Gu, B., Y. Pan, L. J. Wu, and Y. P. Cui, "Tight focusing properties of spatial-variant linearly-polarized vector beams," Journal of Optics, Vol. 43, 18-27, 2013.
11. Hu, K. L., Z. Y. Chen, and J. X. Pu, "Tight focusing properties of hybridly polarized vector beams," Journal of Optical Society of America A, Vol. 29, 1099-1101, 2012.
12. Deng, D., Q. Guo, L. Wu, and X. Yang, "Propagation of radially polarized elegant light beams," Journal of Optical Society of America B, Vol. 24, 636-643, 2007.
13. Wang, X. L., J. P. Ding, W. J. Ni, C. S. Guo, and H. T. Wang, "Generation of arbitrary vector beams with a spatial light modulator and a common path interferometric arrangement," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, 3549-3551, 2007.
14. Wang, X. L., Y. N. Li, J. Chen, C. S. Guo, J. P. Ding, and H. T. Wang, "A new type of vector fields with hybrid states of polarization," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 10786-10795, 2010.
15. Chen, H., J. J. Hao, B. F. Zhang, J. Xu, J. P. Ding, and H. T. Wang, "Generation of vector beam with space-variant distribution of both polarization and phase," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 3179-3181, 2011.
16. Han, W., Y. F. Yang, W. Cheng, and Q. W. Zhan, "Vectorial optical field generator for the creation of arbitrarily complex fields," Optics Express, Vol. 21, 20692-20793, 2013.
17. Lerman, G. M., L. Stern, and U. Levy, "Generation and tight focusing of hybridly polarized vector beams," Optics Express, Vol. 18, 27650-27657, 2010.
18. Li, S. M., Y. Li, X. L. Wang, L. J. Kong, K. Lou, C. Tu, Y. Tian, and H. T. Wang, "Taming the collapse of optical fields," Scientific Reports, Vol. 2, 1007, 2012.
19. Chen, R. P., L. X. Zhong, K. H. Chew, T. Y. Zhao, and X. Zhang, "Collapse dynamics of a vector vortex optical field with inhomogeneous states of polarization," Laser Physics, Vol. 25, 075401, 2015.
20. Chen, R. P. and G. Li, "The evanescent wavefield part of a cylindrical vector beam," Optics Express, Vol. 21, 22246-22254, 2013.
21. Setala, T., J. Tervo, and A. T. Frberg, "Stokes parameters and polarization contrasts in Young's interference experiment," Optics Letters, Vol. 31, 208-210, 2006.
22. Li, Y. N., X. L. Wang, H. Zhao, L. J. Kong, K. Lou, B. Gu, C. G. Tu, and H. T. Wang, "Young's two-slit interference of vector light fields," Optics Letters, Vol. 37, 1790-1792, 2012.
23. Wootters, W. W. and W. H. Zurek, "Complementarity in the double-slit experiment: Quantum nonseparability and quantitative statement of Bohr's principle," Phys. Rev. D, Vol. 19, 473-484, 1979.
24. Svensson, B. E. Y., "Pedagogical review of quantum measurement theory with an emphasis on weak measurements," Quanta, Vol. 2, 18-49, Quanta.
25. Cai, F., J. Yu, and S. He, "Vectorial electric field Monte Caro simulations for focused laser beams (800 nm–2220 nm) in a biological sample," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 667-681, 2013.
26. Imran, A. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Diffraction of plane wave by two parallel slits in an infinitely long impedance plane using the method of Kobayashi potential," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 107-123, 2006.
27. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, 7th Ed., Cambridge U. Press, 1999.