In this paper, a portable frequency domain electromagnetic system CEM-2 is presented for shallow metal targets detection. This paper discusses the detection principle of frequency domain electromagnetic system, introduces hardware implementation, presents test results of each module, and gives the system's imaging results in field tests. Sinusoidal pulse width modulation technique is employed in this system to produce single-frequency or multi-frequencies synthetic electromagnetic signals with signal to noise ratio of about 85 dB. After integration, the CEM-2 system's in-phase noise level is about 90 ppm while the quadrature response is about 100 ppm. The experiment results of CEM-2 agree well with the simulation ones both from signatures and amplitudes. The experiment for detecting targets of different sizes and materials conducted in field indicates that CEM-2 system can be used to distinguish metallic and ferrous objects.
2. Sharma, S. P., et al., "Integrated very low-frequency EM, electrical resistivity, and geological studies on the LantaKhola landslide, North Sikkim, India," Landslides, Vol. 7, No. 7, 43-53, Feb. 2010.
3. Manstein, Y. and A. Manstein, "EMI sensor NEMFIS: Method, equipment and case stories of archaeological prospection," Archéosciences, Vol. 33, No. 1, 321-324, Oct. 2009.
4. Zhdanov, M. S., "Electromagnetic methods in the frequency and time domains," Methods in Geochemistry & Geophysics, 649-693, Dec. 2009.
5. McNeill, J. D., "Electromagnetic terrain conductivity measurement at low induction numbers," Geonics Ltd, Technical Note TN-6, 1980.
6. McNeill, J. D., "Archaeological mapping using the Geonics EM38B to map Terrain Magnetic Susceptibility," Geonics Ltd, Technical Note TN-35, 2013.
7. Won, I. J., et al., "GEM-2: A new multi-frequency electromagnetic sensor," Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 129-138, Aug. 1996.
8. Won, I. J., et al., "GEM-3: A monostatic broadband electromagnetic induction sensor," Journal of Environmental & Engineering Geophysics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 53-64, Mar. 1997.
9. Huang, H., B. Sanfilipo, and I. J. Won, "Planetary exploration using a small electromagnetic sensor," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience & Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 7, 1499-1506, Aug. 2005.
10. Bradshaw, J., U. Madawala, and N. Patel, "Techniques for conditioning bit-stream signals for single-phase power electronics applications," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 3, 1414-1423, Mar. 2012.
11. Gommé, L., G. Vandersteen, and Y. Rolain, "A high-speed on-chip pseudo-random binary sequence generator for multi-tone phase calibration," Measurement Science & Technology, Vol. 22, No. 7, 75901-75914, Jul. 2011.
12. Renge, M., H. Suryawanshi, and M. Chaudhari, "Digitally implemented novel technique to approach natural sampling SPWM," EPE Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, 13-20, Jan. 2010.