The improvement in the power density in the double stator configurations is feasible with increase in the electrical loading of the electrical machines. This type of newer configuration is finding significant applications in improvising energy generation, more commonly for renewable energy generation. Various double stator configurations with non-arc permanent magnet machines for power density are modelled and analyzed in this paper. Finite Element Method (FEM) is used to simulate for the generation capability including the electromagnetics parameters such as flux linkage and open circuit voltage. A new slotted rotor structure is evolved based on the magnetic flux flow control inside the machine. The proposed structure is then fabricated in the laboratory and tested for operating characteristics with load circuit. The proposed machine produces a maximum power of 600 W at speed of 2000 rpm with 75% of maximum efficiency with the micro-hydro generation unit.
2. Feng, C., S. Cui, and S. Chen, "Performance analysis of double-stator starter generator for the hybrid electric vehicle," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 1, 484-487, 2005.
3. Chau, K. T., Y. B. Li, and J. Z. Jiang, "Design and analysis of a stator-doubly-fed-doubly-salient permanent-magnet machine for automotive engines," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 42, 3470-3472, 2006.
4. Liu, C., K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, and L. Jian, "Design a new outer-rotor permanent magnet hybrid machine for wind power generation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, 1494-1497, 2008.
5. Norhisam, M., M. Norafiza, and C. Y. Sia, "Double stator type permanent magnet generator," Proceeding of 2009 Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD), 316-319, 2009.
6. Wang, Y., S. Niu, and W. Fu, "Electromagnetic performance analysis of novel flux-regulatable permanent magnet machines for wide constant-power speed range operation," Energies, Vol. 8, 13971-13984, 2015.
7. Norhisam, M., S. Ridzuan, R. N. Firdaus, C. V. Aravind, H. Wakiwaka, and M. Nirei, "Comparative evaluation on power-speed density of portable permanent magnet generator for agriculture applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 345-363, 2012.
8. Zheng, P., Q. Wu, J. Bai, C. Tong, and Z. Song, "Analysis and experiment of a novel brushless double rotor machine for power-split hybrid electrical vehicle applications," Energies, Vol. 6, 3209-3223, 2009.
9. Vaithilingam, C. A., N. Misron, M. R. Zare, I. Aris, and M. H. Marhaban, "Computation of electromagnetic torque in a double rotor switched reluctance motor using flux tube methods," Energies, Vol. 5, 4008-4026, 2012.
10. Norhisam, M., R. Suhairi, M. Norafiza, M. A. M Radzi, I. Aris, M. Nirei, and H. Wakiwaka, "Comparison on performance of a single phase and three phase double stator type permanent magnet generator," Asia-Pacific Symposium on Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, 231-234, Kuala Lumpur, 2010.
11. Norhisam, M., M. Norafiza, and C. Y. Sia, "Double stator type permanent magnet generator," Proceeding of 2009 Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD 2009), 316-319, UPM Serdang, Malaysia, Nov. 16-18, 2009.
12. Norhisam, M., M. Norafiza, M. Nirei, H. Wakiwaka, M. Syafiq, and I. Aris, "Comparison on performance of a single and double stator of a slot-less permanent magnet generator," 21st Symposium on Elctromagnetis and Dynamics, 561-564, 2009.
13. Raja, N. F., M. Norhisam, A. V. Chockalingam, M. Nirel, and W. Hiroyuki, "Improvement of energy density in single stator interior permanent magnet using double stator topology," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2014, 15 pages, Article ID 787382, 2014.
14. Zhang, D., S. Niu, K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, and C. Liu, "Design and analysis of a double-stator cup-rotor PM integrated-starter-generator," Conference Record of the 2006 IEEE Industry Applications Conference Forty-First IAS Annual Meeting, 20-26, 2006.
15. Niu, S., K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, and C. Liu, "Design and control of a new double-stator cup-rotor permanent-magnet machine for wind power generation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, 2501-2503, 2007.
16. Niu, S., S. L. Ho, and W. N. Fu, "A novel direct-drive dual-structure permanent magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, 2036-2039, 2010.
17. Wang, Y., M. Cheng, Y. Fan, and K. T. Chau, "A double-stator permanent magnet brushless machine system for electric variable transmission in hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 1-5, 2010.
18. Feng, C., S. Cui, and C. Kang, "Performance analysis of double-stator starter generator for the hybrid electric vehicle," 12th Symposium on Electromagnetic Launch Technology, 499-502, 2004.
19. Alam, S. S., N. A. Omar, M. S. B. Ahmad, H. R. Siddiquei, and S. M. Nor, "Renewable energy in malaysia: Strategies and development," Environmental Management and Sustainable Development, Vol. 2, 51-66, 2013.
20. Firdaus, R. N., R. Suhairi, S. Farina, K. A. Karim, and Z. Ibrahim, "Improvement of power density spoke type permanent magnet generator," IEEE PEDS, 197-201, 2015.
21. Kim, S., II, J. Cho, S. Park, T. Park, and S. Lim, "Characteristics comparison of a conventional and modified spoke-type ferrite magnet motor for traction drives of low-speed electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 49, 2516-2523, 2013.
22. Kim, K.-C. and J. Lee, "The dynamic analysis of a spoke-type permanent magnet generator with large overhang," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 41, 3805-3807, 2005.
23. Wang, J., W. Wang, G. W. Jewell, and D. Howe, "Design of a miniature permanent-magnet generator and energy storage system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1383-1390, 2005.
24. Boughrara, K., R. Ibtiouen, and N. Takorabet, "Analytic calculation of magnetic field and electromagnetic performances of spoke type IPM topologies with auxiliary magnets," International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM), Vol. 7, 51-57, 2014.
25. Hirata, K., Y. Kagami, M. Yanosaka, Y. Ishihari, and T. Todaka, "Thrust calculation of linear pulse motors using a combined technique employing the finite element method and the permeance analysis method," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 28, No. 2, 1394-1397, 1992.
26. Delforge, C. and B. Lemaire-Semail, "Induction machine modeling using finite element and permeance network methods," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2092-2095, 1995.
27. Wang, X., Q. Li, S. Wang, and Q. Li, "Analytical calculation of air-gap magnetic field distribution and instantaneous characteristics of brushless DC motors," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 18, No. 3, 424-432, 2002.