In this paper, two new hybrid excited vernier machines with surface and interior V-shaped PM arrays are proposed. By integrating the vernier structure and field excitation windings together, the proposed machines not only retain the merit of high torque of permanent magnet vernier, but also offer flexible flux adjustment to enable a wide speed range with the introduction of field windings. Different from existing hybrid excited vernier machines having magnets on the rotor, the proposed machines is designed with all excitation sources on the stator. Therefore, temperature rise of magnets of the proposed machines is much easier to control, which in turn reduce the risk of irreversible demagnetization of magnets and enhance the reliability. The electromagnetic performances of the two proposed machines are comprehensively analyzed and quantitatively compared by using the time-stepping finite-element method, verifying the theoretical analysis.
2. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Electrical machines and drives for electric, hybrid, fuel cell vehicles," Proceeding of IEEE, Vol. 95, No. 4, 746-765, 2007.
3. Chau, K. T., C. C. Chan, and C. Liu, "Overview of permanent-magnet brushless drives for electric and hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2246-2257, 2008.
4. Liu, G., M. Shao, W. Zhao, J. Ji, Q. Chen, and Q. Feng, "Modeling and analysis of halbach magnetized permanent-magnets machine by using lumped parameter magnetic circuit method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 41, 177-188, 2015.
5. Dorrell, D. G., A. M. Knight, L. Evans, and M. Popescu, "Analysis and design techniques applied to hybrid vehicle drive machines - Assessment of alternative IPM and induction motor topologies," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3690-3699, 2012.
6. Toba, A. and T. A. Lipo, "Generic torque-maximizing design methodology of surface permanent-magnet vernier machine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, No. 6, 1539-1546, 2000.
7. Liu, G., J. Yang, W. Zhao, J. Ji, Q. Chen, and W. Gong, "Design and analysis of a new fault-tolerant permanent-magnet vernier machine for electric vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 11, 4176-4179, 2012.
8. Li, X., K. T. Chau, M. Cheng, B. Kim, and R. D. Lorenz, "Performance analysis of a flux-concentrating field-modulated permanent-magnet machine for direct-drive applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1-11, 2015.
9. Li, J., K. T. Chau, J. Z. Jiang, C. Liu, and W. Li, "A new efficient permanent-magnet vernier machine for wind power generation," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 1475-1478, 2010.
10. Xu, L., G. Liu, W. Zhao, J. Ji, H. Zhou, W. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Quantitative comparison of integral and fractional slot permanent magnet vernier motors," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 30, No. 4, 1483-1495, 2015.
11. Jian, L., J. Liang, Y. Shi, and G. Xu, "A novel double-winding permanent magnet flux modulated machine for stand-alone wind power generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 142, 275-289, 2013.
12. Liu, C. and K.-T. Chau, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of double-rotor flux-modulated permanent-magnet machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 81-97, 2012.
13. Li, D., R. Qu, and T. A. Lipo, "High power factor vernier permanent magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 6, 3664-3674, 2014.
14. Jian, L. and K. T. Chau, "A coaxial magnetic gear with Halbach permanent-magnet arrays," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 25, No. 2, 319-328, 2010.
15. Li, X., K.-T. Chau, M. Cheng, and W. Hua, "Comparison of magnetic-geared permanent-magnet machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 177-198, 2013.
16. Du, Y., K. T. Chau, M. Cheng, Y. Fan, Y. Wang, W. Hua, and Z. Wang, "Design and analysis of linear stator permanent magnet vernier machines," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4219-4222, 2011.
17. Gaussens, B., E. Hoang, M. Lécrivain, P. Manfe, and M. Gabsi, "A hybrid-excited flux-switching machine for high-Speed dc-alternator applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 6, 2976-2989, 2014.
18. Hua, W., G. Zhang, and M. Cheng, "Flux-regulation theories and principles of hybrid-excited flux-switching machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 9, 5359-5369, 2015.
19. Liu, C., J. Zhong, and K. T. Chau, "A novel flux-controllable vernier permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4238-4241, 2011.
20. Zhu, X., L. Quan, D. Chen, M. Cheng, Z. Wang, and W. Li, "Design and analysis of a new flux memory doubly salient motor capable of online flux control," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 3220-3223, 2011.
21. Wang, Q., S. Niu, S. L. Ho, W. N. Fu, and S. Zuo, "Design and analysis of novel magnetic flux-modulated mnemonic machines," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 9, No. 7, 469-477, 2015.
22. Cheng, M., W. Hua, J. Zhang, and W. Zhao, "Overview of stator-permanent magnet brushless machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 11, 5087-5101, 2011.
23. Cheng, M., W. Hua, X. Zhu, W. Zhao, and H. Jia, "A simple method to improve the sinusoidal static characteristics of doubly-salient PMmachine for brushless AC operation," IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, ICMES, 665-669, 2007.