In traditional over-the-horizon radar (OTHR), multipath propagation due to the multi-layer ionospheric structure always deteriorates the detection performance. The properties of multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar technique, which transmits wide beams with low gain at the transmitter and achieves receiver beam-forming to obtain narrow beams with high gain, make it an ideal choice for OTHR to detect target through multi-layer ionosphere and suppress strong clutter. This paper investigates the assumption of a two-layer ionospheric model and proposes a two-step Max-Min algorithm based on the mutual information theory to optimize MIMO-OTHR waveform so as to suppress clutter, interference and noise. The first step is to maximize the mutual information between the echo and target response from the same direction of arrival (DOA) in order to reduce the impact of noise. The second step is to minimize the mutual information between the echoes from different DOAs, in order to suppress the clutter and interference by reducing the correlation of the echoes from the different DOAs. Numerical experiments validate that this algorithm can improve range resolution and detection probability significantly. Experiment results also demonstrate that the previously harmful multipath propagation can be utilized to enhance the detection performance in MIMO-OTHR.
2. Headrick, J. M. and J. F. Thomason, "Applications of high frequency radar," Radio Science, 1045-1054, 1998.
3. Howland, P. E. and D. C. Copper, "Use of the Wigner-Ville distribution to compensate for ionospheric layer movement in high-frequency sky-wave radar system," Radar and Signal Processing, IEE Proceedings F, Vol. 140, No. 1, 29-36, Feb. 1993.
4. Olkin, J. A., W. C. Nowlin, and J. R. Bamum, "Detection of ships using OTH radar with short integration times," Proceedings of the 1997 IEEE National Radar Conference, 1-6, May 1997.
5. Krolik, J., V. Mecca, O. Kazanci, and I. Bilik, "Multipath spread-Doppler clutter mitigation for over-the-horizon radar," Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE Radar Conference, 1-5, 2008.
6. Ravan, M., R. S. Adve, and R. J. Riddolls, "MIMO fast fully adaptive processing in Over-the-Horizon radar," Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Radar Conference, 538-542, May 2011.
7. Frazer, G. J., Y. I. Abramovich, and B. A. Johnson, "Multiple-input multiple-output over-thehorizon radar: Experimental results," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 290-303, Aug. 2009.
8. Frazer, G. J., Y. I. Abramovich, and B. A. Johnson, "HF skywave MIMO radar: The HILOW experimental program," Proceedings of the 42nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 639-643, Oct. 2008.
9. Riddolls, R. J., M. Ravan, and R. S. Adve, "Canadian HF over-the-Horizon Radar experiments using MIMO techniques to control auroral clutter," Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Radar Conference, 718-723, May 2010.
10. Olkin, J. A., W. C. Nowlin, and J. Barnum, "Detection of ships using OTH radar with short integration times," Proc. IEEE Nat. Radar Conf., 1-6, Syracuse, NY, May 1997.
11. Abramovich, Y. I., G. J. Frazer, and B. A. Johnson, "Iterative adaptive Kronecker MIMO radar beamformer: Description and convergence analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 7, 3681-3691, Mar. 2010.
12. Abramovich, Y. I., G. J. Frazer, and B. A. Johnson, "Principles of mode-selective MIMO OTHR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 3, 1839-1868, Jul. 2013.
13. Luo, Y. and Z. Zhao, "Trajectory optimisation method by using independent component analysis for MIMO-OTHR target tracking," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 13, 1020-1021, 2015.
14. Pulford, G. W. and R. J. Evans, "A multipath data association tracker for over-the-horizon radar," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 4, 1165-1183, Oct. 1998.
15. Yang, Y. and R. S. Blum, "MIMO radar waveform design based on mutual information and minimum mean-square error estimation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, No. 1, 330-343, Jan. 2007.
16. Tang, B., J. Tang, and Y. Peng, "MIMO radar waveform design in colored noise based on information theory," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 9, 4684-4697, Sep. 2010.
17. Perl, J. M. and D. Kagan, "Real-time HF channel parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 34, No. 1, 54-58, Jan. 1986.
18. Watts, S., "Modeling and simulation of coherent sea clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 4, 3303-3317, Oct. 2012.
19. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "OFDM MIMO radar with mutual-information waveform design for low-grazing angle tracking," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 6, 3152-3162, Mar. 2010.
20. Chen, Y., Y. Nijsure, C. Yuen, Y. H. Chew, Z. Ding, and S. Boussakta, "Adaptive distributed MIMO radar waveform optimization based on mutual information," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, 1374-1385, Apr. 2013.
21. Frazer, G. J., Y. I. Abramovich, and B. A. Johnson, "Mode-selective OTH radar: Experimental results for one-way transmission via the ionosphere," Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Radar Conference, 397-402, May 2011.