A detailed study on the performance of square loop High impedance Surface (HIS) on lossy dielectric with its Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) Property changing to narrow band absorber and then to Perfect Electric Conductor (PEC) depending on the loss in the dielectric is presented in this paper. An equivalent circuit modelling is used to theoretically explain how this transition is happening. This observed narrow band absorption (0.08 GHz) on the thin (0.016λ) lossy dielectric is scalable to different operating frequencies by varying the dimension of the geometry. The simulation studies on the effect of different geometrical, dielectric and incident wave parameters on the absorption property of this lossy HIS are also dealt with in this paper. Experimental investigation is in good agreement with simulated result and equivalent circuit modelling.
2. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Closed-form analysis of reflection losses in microstrip reflectarray antennas," IEE Tran. Antennas and Prop., Vol. 60, No. 10, 650-4660, Oct. 2012.
3. Lee, K.-C., C.-W. Huang, and M.-C. Fang, "Radar target recognition by projected features of frequency-diversity RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 121-133, 2008.
4. Li, N.-J., C.-F. Hu, L.-X. Zhang, and J.-D. Xu, "Overview of RCS extrapolation techniques to aircraft targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 249-262, 2008.
5. Knott, E. F., M. T. Tuley, and J. F. Shaeffer, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publishing, Inc., Raleigh, NC, USA, 2004.
6. Paquay, M., J.-C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEE Tran. Antennas and Prop., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, 2007.
7. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez-Lopez, and F. Las-Heras Andres, "A novel approach for RCS reduction using a combination of artificial magnetic conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 147-159, 2010.
8. Salisbury, W. W., "Absorbent body for electromagnetic waves,", U.S. Patent 2 599 944, Jun. 10, 1952.
9. Fante, R. L. and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the salisbury screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 10, 1443-1454, Oct. 1988.
10. Li, M., S. Q. Xiao, Y.-Y. Bai, and B.-Z. Wang, "An ultrathin and broadband radar absorber using resistive FSS," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 748-751, 2012.
11. Shang, Y., Z. Shen, and S. Xiao, "On the design of single-layer circuit analog absorber using double-square-loop array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 12, 6022-6029, Dec. 2013.
12. Zhang, G. R., P. H. Zhou, H. B. Zhang, L. B. Zhang, J. L. Xie, and L. J. Deng, "Analysis and design of triple-band high-impedance surface absorber with periodic diversified impedance," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 114, 164103, 2013.
13. Tang, W. and Z. Shen, "Simple design of thin and wideband circuit analogue absorber," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 12, 689-691, Jun. 2007.
14. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Electromagnetic absorbers on high impedance surfaces: From ultra narrowband to ultra wideband absorption," Advanced Electromagnetics, Vol. 1, No. 3, 7, Oct. 2012.
15. Sujatha, M. N. and K. J. Vinoy, "Analysis of absorption characteristics of stacked patch arrays on moderately lossy dielectric layers," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 119, 1143-1148, 2015.
16. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
17. Simovski, C. R., P. Maagt, and I. V. Melchakova, "High impedance surfaces having resonance with respect to polarization and incident angle," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 53, No. 3, 908-914, 2005.
18. Hashemi, S. M., S. A. Tretyakov, M. Soleimani, and C. R. Simovski, "Dual-polarized angularly stable high-impedance surface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4101-4108, 2013.
19. Tretyakov, S., Analytical Modeling in Applied Electromagnetics, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2003.
20. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Hand Book, McGraw Hill, New York, 1951.
21. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Equivalent circuit model for arrays of square loops," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 7, 294-296, 1982.
22. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Efficient analysis of frequency selective surfaces by a simple equivalent circuit approach," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Mag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 35-48, 2012.
23. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "An equivalent-circuit modelling of high impedance surfaces employing arbitrarily shaped FSS," Proc. Int. Conf. on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, ICEEA, 852-855, Turin, Sep. 14-18, 2009.
24. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Risnen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, 2008.