So far, several methods to reduce the cogging torque of permanent magnet motors have been introduced. Implementation and evaluation of these methods have usually been done on radial flux types of motors. Nowadays, as axial flux permanent magnet motors have more advantages over radial ones, they are more attractive. Therefore, in this paper analytical modeling and calculation of the most effective method impact in reducing the cogging torque in axial flux permanent magnet motors will be studied. In fact, in this method the radial edges of the magnets will be curved to have a significant impact on reducing this unwanted component. This paper introduces a new concept to model this method. Finally, the accuracy of the proposed method will be verified by finite element analysis.
2. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and H. W. Ping, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
3. Gulec, M. and M. Aydin, "Influence of magnet grouping in reduction of cogging torque for a slotted double-rotor axial-flux PM motor," International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, 812-817, 2012.
4. Gieras, J. F. and M. Wing, Permanent Magnet Motor Technology: Design and Applications, 3rd Ed., CRC Press, 2010.
5. Aydin, M., Z. Q. Zhu, T. A. Lipo, and D. Howe, "Minimization of cogging torque in axial-flux permanent-magnet machines: Design concepts," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 43, No. 9, 3614-3622, Sep. 2007.
6. Bianchini, C., F. Immovilli, A. Bellini, and M. Davoli, "Review of design solutions for internal permanent-magnet machines cogging torque reduction," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 10, 2685-2693, 2012.
7. Kudrjavtsev, O. and A. Kilk, "Cogging torque reduction methods," IEEE Electric Power Quality and Supply Reliability Conference, 251-254, 2014, ISBN 978-1-4799-5020-1.
8. Aydin, M., "Magnet skew in cogging torque minimization of axial gap permanent magnet motors," Proceedings of the International Conference on Electrical Machines, 1-6, 2008.
9. Chabchoub, M., I. Ben Salah, G. Krebs, R. Neji, and C. Marchand, "PMSM cogging torque reduction: Comparison between different shapes of magnet," First International Conference on Renewable Energies and Vehicular Tecnology, 206-211, 2012.
10. Parviainen, A., "Design of axial-flux permanent-magnet low-speed machines and performance comparison between radial-flux and axial-flux machines,", Doctoral Thesis, Lappeenranta, Finland, Apr. 19, 2005.
11. Parviainen, A., M. Niemelä, and J. Pyrhönen, "Modeling of axial flux permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 40, No. 5, 1333-1340, 2004.
12. Fei, W. and P. C. K. Luk, "Cogging torque reduction techniques for axial-flux surface-mounted permanent-magnet segmented-armature-torus machines," IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 485-490, 2008.