The number of composite insulators used in power transmission lines increases year by year. To detect and assess the aging status accurately concerns the security and stability of the power system. In order to achieve nondestructive testing of the sheds of composite insulators, a unilateral mini Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) sensor is proposed in this paper. The design of the magnet body and the optimization of the RF coil are presented. The Carr-Purcell-Meiboom-Gill (CPMG) sequence was employed to record the 1H relaxation curves of the sheds of three composite insulators from 110 kv lines with different service years. The curves were fitted to both single exponential function and inverse Laplace transformation functions. The results demonstrate that an increase of service year of the insulator results in a decrease of the effective transverse relaxation time (T2eff). It is indicated that the sensor has a potential to assess the aging status of the composite insulators.
2. Hackam, R., "Outdoor HV composite polymeric insulators," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 6, No. 5, 557-585, 1999.
3. Cui, J. L. and Z. Y. Su, "The application and prospect of silicone rubber composite insulators in China," China Power, Vol. 32, No. 1, 38-41, 1999.
4. Yong, J., et al., "The application and prospect of silicone rubber composite insulators in China," China Electric Power, Vol. 32, No. 1, 38-41, 1990.
5. Amin, M., M. Akbar, and M. Salman, "Composite insulators and their aging: An overview," Science in China Series E: Technological Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 6, 697-713, 2007.
6. Song, W., et al., "The development of online detection technology of composite insulators ," High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 5, 30-32, 2005.
7. Hui, H., et al., "Research on the evaluation methods of the operating status and aging characteristics of composite insulators," Shaanxi Electric Power, Vol. 40, No. 1, 64-66, 2012.
8. Tu, Y. P., et al., "The evaluation methods of aging characteristics of operating composite insulators," High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 10, 2522-2527, 2012.
9. Yan, B. and Z. H. Wang, "The analysis of the aging properties of silicone rubber composite insulators materials," Insulation Materials, Vol. 4, 58-60, 2009.
10. STRI Guide 92/1, "Hydrophobicity classification guide,", Swedish Transmission Research Institute, 1992.
11. Yang, Z. G., et al., "Design and application of leakage current measurement system for polluted insulator," Electric Power Science and Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 14-18, 2010.
12. Chen, W. G., W. P. Wang, and Q. Xia, "Research on multi-fractal characteristics of leakage current for contamination discharge of insulators," Transactions of China Electro-technical Society, Vol. 28, No. 1, 50-56, 2013.
13. Kumagai, S. and N. Yoshimura, "Leakage current characterization for estimating the conditions of ceramic and polymeric insulating surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 11, No. 4, 681-690, 2004.
14. Bai, H., et al., "Hydrophobicity evaluation of composite insulators using the dynamic contact angle," High Voltage Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 12, 3021-3027, 2010.
15. Tong, Y. L., "Study on the aging characteristic of composite insulator based on TSC,", North China Electric Power University Master’s Degree Thesis, Jun. 2011.
16. Liang, Y., L. J. Ding, and C. R. Li, "Primary research on the diagnosis of aging silicone rubber insulator using thermally stimulation current," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 27, No. 21, 7-12, 2007.
17. Zhang, H., Y. P. Tu, and Y. L. Tong, "Study on aging characteristics of silicone rubber shades of composite insulators based on TSC test," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 32, No. 19, 169-174, 2012.
18. Blumich, B., S. Anferova, F. Casanova, K. Kremer, J. Perlo, and S. Sharma, "Unilateral NMR: Principles and applications to quality control of elastomer products," Testing and Measuring, Vol. 7-8, 346-349, 2004.
19. Blumich, B., J. Perlo, and F. Casanova, "Mobile single-sided NMR," Progress in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Vol. 52, 197-269, 2008.
20. Xu, Z., S. J. Zhao, and P. Guo, "A portable sensor used for assessing the aging status of silicone rubber insulator," Applied Magnetic Resonance, Vol. 44, 1405-1417, 2013.
21. Xu, , Z., , K. K. Meng, and J. Y. Cheng, "Highly uniform singled-sided portable NMR sensor and its application in assessing the aging level of silicone rubber insulators," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetic Mechanics, Vol. 47, 777-790, 2015.
22. Hoult, D. I. and R. E. Richards, "The signal-to-noise ratio of the nuclear magnetic resonance experiment," Journal of Magnetic Resonance, Vol. 24, No. 1, 71-85, 1976.
23. Haacke, E. M., et al., Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Physical Principles and Sequence Design, A John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1999.
24. Hurlimann, M. D., "Well logging," Encyclopedia of Magnetic Resonance, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2012.
25. Provencher, S. W., "A constrained regularization method for inverting data represented by linear algebraic or integral equations," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 27, 213-227, 1982.