Graphene is increasingly being used in the design of electromagnetic devices. The resistivity of graphene can be adjusted via chemical potential tuning, which truly benefits the implementation of tunable and reconfigurable devices. This paper investigates the switch-like attribute of parasitic graphene surface used in a dipole operating at 0.39 THz. Further, a novel orbital angular moment (OAM) generator with radiation reconfiguration is proposed. Spiral beams carrying variety of OAM modes can be produced easily using the generator.
2. Allen, M. J., V. C. Tung, and R. B. Kaner, "Honeycomb carbon: A review of graphene," Chemical Reviews, Vol. 110, No. 1, 132-145, 2009.
3. Cooper, D. R., B. D’. Anjou, N. Ghattamaneni, B. Harack, M. Hilke, A. Horth, N. Majlis, M. Massicotte, L. Vandsburger, E. Whiteway, and V. Yu, "Experimental review of graphene," International Scholarly Research Notices, Vol. 2012, 2012.
4. Lin, Y.-M., C. Dimitrakopoulos, K. A. Jenkins, D. B. Farmer, H.-Y. Chiu, A. Grill, and Ph. Avouris, "100-GHz transistors from wafer-scale epitaxial graphene," Science, Vol. 327, No. 5966, 662-662, 2010.
5. Wu, Y., Y. Lin, A. A. Bol, K. A. Jenkins, F. Xia, D. B. Farmer, Y. Zhu, and P. Avouris, "High-frequency, scaled graphene transistors on diamond-like carbon," Nature, Vol. 472, No. 7341, 74-78, 2011.
6. Ming, L., X. B. Yin, and X. Zhang, "Double-layer graphene optical modulator," Nano Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, 1482-1485, 2012.
7. Francescato, Y., V. Giannini, J. J. Yang, M. Huang, and S. A. Maier, "Graphene sandwiches as a platform for broadband molecular spectroscopy," ACS Photonics, Vol. 1, No. 5, 437-443, 2014.
8. Liu, H. T., Y. Q. Liu, and D. B. Zhu, "Chemical doping of graphene," Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 21, No. 10, 3335-3345, 2011.
9. Fang, Z. Y., Y. M. Wang, Z. Liu, A. Schlather, P. M. Ajayan, F. H. L. Koppens, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, "Plasmon-induced doping of graphene," Acs Nano, Vol. 6, No. 11, 10222-10228, 2012.
10. Ashkan, V. and N. Engheta, "Transformation optics using graphene," Science, Vol. 332, No. 6035, 1291-1294, 2011.
11. Perruisseau-Carrier, J., "Graphene for antenna applications: Opportunities and challenges from microwaves to THz," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 2012, 1-4, Loughborough, 2012.
12. Dragoman, M., A. A. Muller, D. Dragoman, F. Coccetti, and R. Plana, "Terahertz antenna based on graphene," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 107, No. 10, 104313, 2010.
13. Llatser, I., C. Kremers, A. Cabellos-Aparicio, J. M. Jornet, E. Alarcón, and D. N. Chigrin, "Graphene-based nano-patch antenna for terahertz radiation," Photonics and Nanostructures-Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 10, No. 4, 353-358, 2012.
14. Tamagnone, M., J. S. Gomez-Diaz, J. R. Mosig, and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Analysis and design of terahertz antennas based on plasmonic resonant graphene sheets," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 112, No. 11, 114915, 2012.
15. Tamagnone, M., J. S. Gomez-Diaz, J. R. Mosig, and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Reconfigurable terahertz plasmonic antenna concept using a graphene stack," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 101, No. 21, 214102, 2012.
16. Zhou, T., Z. Cheng, H. Zhang, M. Berre, L. Militaru, and F. Calmon, "Miniaturized tunable terahertz antenna based on graphene," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 8, 1792-1794, 2014.
17. Dragoman, M., M. Aldrigo, A. Dinescu, D. Dragoman, and A. Costanzo, "Towards a terahertz direct receiver based on graphene up to 10 THz," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 115, No. 4, 044307, 2014.
18. Jornet, J. M. and I. F. Akyildiz, "Graphene-based nano-antennas for electromagnetic nanocommunications in the terahertz band," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on IEEE Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2010.
19. Jornet, J. M. and I. F. Akyildiz, "Graphene-based plasmonic nano-antenna for terahertz band communication in nanonetworks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 31, No. 12, 685-694, 2013.
20. Tamagnone, M. and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Predicting input impedance and efficiency of graphene reconfigurable dipoles using a simple circuit model,", arXiv preprint arXiv:1402.1527, 2014.
21. Liu, P., W. Cai, L. Wang, X. Zhang, and J. Xu, "Tunable terahertz optical antennas based on graphene ring structures," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 100, No. 15, 153111, 2012.
22. Filter, R., M. Farhat, M. Steglich, R. Alaee, C. Rockstuhl, and F. Lederer, "Tunable graphene antennas for selective enhancement of THz-emission," Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 3, 3737-3745, 2013.
23. Hanson, G. W., "Dyadic Green’s functions and guided surface waves for a surface conductivity model of graphene," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, No. 6, 064302, 2008.
24. Wang, J., J. Y. Yang, I. M. Fazal, N. Ahmed, Y. Yan, H. Huang, and A. E. Willner, "Terabit free-space data transmission employing orbital angular momentum multiplexing," Nature Photonics, Vol. 6, No. 7, 488-496, 2012.
25. Bozinovic, N., Y. Yue, Y. Ren, M. Tur, P. Kristensen, H. Huang, and S. Ramachandran, "Terabit-scale orbital angular momentum mode division multiplexing in fibers," Science, Vol. 340, No. 6140, 1545-1548, 2013.
26. Barbuto, M., F. Trotta, F. Bilotti, and A. Toscano, "Circular polarized patch antenna generating orbital angular momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 23-30, 2014.
27. Mohammadi, S. M., L. K. Daldorff, J. E. Bergman, R. L. Karlsson, B. Thidé, K. Forozesh, and B. Isham, "Orbital angular momentum in radio --- A system study," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 2, 565-572, 2010.
28. Thidé, B., H. Then, J. Sj¨oholm, K. Palmer, J. Bergman, T. D. Carozzi, and R. Khamitova, "Utilization of photon orbital angular momentum in the low-frequency radio domain," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 99, No. 8, 087701, 2007.
29. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, A. Sponselli, B. Thidé, A. Bianchini, and F. Romanato, "Encoding many channels on the same frequency through radio vorticity: First experimental test," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 14, No. 3, 033001, 2012.
30. Rui, G., R. L. Nelson, and Q. Zhan, "Beaming photons with spin and orbital angular momentum via a dipole-coupled plasmonic spiral antenna," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 17, 18819-18826, 2012.
31. Zhu, J., X. Cai, Y. Chen, and S. Yu, "Theoretical model for angular grating-based integrated optical vortex beam emitters," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 8, 1343-1345, 2013.
32. Bouchard, F., H. Mand, M. Mirhosseini, E. Karimi, and R. W. Boyd, "Achromatic orbital angular momentum generator," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 16, No. 12, 123006, 2014.
33. Marrucci, L., C. Manzo, and D. Paparo, "Optical spin-to-orbital angular momentum conversion in inhomogeneous anisotropic media," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 96, No. 16, 163905, 2006.
34. Gómez-Díaz, J. S. and J. Perruisseau-Carrier, "Graphene-based plasmonic switches at near infrared frequencies," Optics Express, Vol. 21, No. 13, 15490-15504, 2013.