This paper gives a comprehensive study on the modeling and design challenges of Through Silicon Vias (TSVs) in high speed three dimensional (3D) system integration. To investigate the propagation characteristics incurred by operations within the ultra-broad band frequency range, we propose an equivalent circuit model which accounts for rough sidewall effect and high frequency effect. A closed-form expression for TSV metal oxide semiconductor (MOS) capacitance in both depletion and accumulation regions is proposed. The coupling of TSV arrays and near and far field effect on crosstalk analysis are performed using 3D EM field solver. Based on the TSV circuit model, we optimize the TSVs' architecture and manufacturing process parameters and develop effective design guidelines for TSVs which could be used to resolve the signal integrity issues arising at high frequency data transmission in 3D ICs.
2. Swaminathan, M., "Electrical design and modeling challenges for 3D system integration," Design Conference 2012, 2012.
3. Banerjee, K., S. J. Souri, P. Kapur, and K. C. Saraswat, "3-D ICs: A novel chip design for improving deep-submicrometer interconnect performance and systems-on-chip integration," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 89, No. 5, 602-633, 2001.
4. Koyanagi, M., H. Kurino, K.-W. Lee, K. Sakuma, N. Miyakawa, and H. Itani, "Future system-on-silicon LSI chips," IEEE Micro., Vol. 18, No. 4, 17-22, 1998.
5. Zhang, L., H. Y. Li, S. Gao, and C. S. Tan, "Achieving stable Through-Silicon Via (TSV) capacitance with oxide fixed charge," IEEE Elect. Device Lett., Vol. 32, No. 5, 668-670, 2011.
6. Salah, K., H. Ragai, Y. Ismail, and A. E. Rouby, "Equivalent lumped element models for various n-port Through Silicon Vias networks," Proc. 16th ASP-DAC, 176-183, 2011.
7. Ehsan, M. A., Z. Zhou, and Y. Yi, "Electrical modeling and analysis of sidewall roughness of Through Silicon Vias in 3D integration," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. EMC, 52-56, Aug. 2014.
8. Bandyopadhyay, T., R. Chatterjee, D. Chung, M. Swaminathan, and R. Tummala, "Electrical modeling of Through Silicon and Package Vias," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. 3D Syst. Integr., 1-8, Sep. 2009.
9. ITU-D, "Measuring the information society 2011," International Telecommunications Union (ITU), 2011.
10. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), "National broadband plan,", http://www.broadband.gov-/plan/executive-summary/, 2011.
11. Pi, Z. and F. Khan, "An introduction to millimeter-wave mobile broadband systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 6, 101-107, 2011.
12. Liu, D., U. Pfeiffer, J. Gryzb, and B. Gaucher, Advanced Millimeter Wave Technologies: Antennas, Packaging, and Circuits, J. Wiley & Sons, 2009.
13. Oprysko, M., "Building millimeter-wave circuits in silicon," Proc. IEEE Radio and Wireless Conf. on Adv. in RF and High Speed Syst. Integr., 2004.
14. Nakamura, T., H. Kitada, Y. Mizushima, N. Maeda, K. Fujimoto, and T. Ohba, "Comparative study of side-wall roughness effects on leakage currents in through-silicon via interconnects," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. 3D Syst. Integr., 1-4, Jan./Feb. 2012.
15. Ndip, I., B. Curran, K. Lobbicke, S. Guttowski, H. Reichl, K. Lang, and H. Henke, "High-frequency modeling of TSVs for 3-D chip integration and silicon interposers considering skin-effect, dielectric quasi-TEM and slow-wave modes," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 10, 1627-1641, Oct. 2011.
16. Yi, Y. and Y. Zhou, "Differential Through-Silicon-Vias modeling and design optimization to benefit 3D IC performance," Proc. IEEE 22nd Conf. EPEPS, 195-198, Oct. 2013.
17. Yi, Y. and Y. Zhou, "A novel circuit model for multiple Through-Silicon-Vias (TSVs)," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. 3DIC, 1-4, Sep. 2013.
18. Yi, Y., Y. Zhou, X. Fu, and F. Shen, "Modeling differential Through-Silicon-Vias (TSVs) with voltage dependent and nonlinear capacitance," J. of Selectd. Area. Microelect., Vol. 3, No. 6, 27-36, Jun. 2013.
19. Xu, C., H. Li, R. Suaya, and K. Banerjee, "Compact AC modeling and performance analysis of Through-Silicon Vias in 3-D ICs," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3405-3417, 2010.
20. Engin, A. E. and S. R. Narasimhan, "Modeling of crosstalk in Through Silicon Vias," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compatibil., Vol. 55, No. 1, 149-158, Feb. 2013.
21. Xie, B., M. Swaminathan, K. J. Han, and J. Xie, "Coupling analysis of Through-Silicon Via (TSV) arrays in silicon interposers for 3D systems," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. EMC, 16-21, Aug. 2011.
22. Han, K. J., M. Swaminathan, and T. Bandyopadhyay, "Electromagnetic modeling of Through-Silicon Via (TSV) interconnections using cylindrical modal basis functions," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 804-817, 2010.
23. Ramo, S., J.Whinnery, and T. Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1994.
24. Ndip, I., K. Zoschke, K. Lobbicke, M. J. Wolf, S. Guttowski, H. Reichl, K.-D. Lang, and H. Henke, "Analytical, numerical-, and measurement-based methods for extracting the electrical parameters of Through Silicon Vias (TSVs)," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 3, 504-515, Mar. 2014.
25. Tsang, L., H. Braunisch, R. Ding, and X. Gu, "Random rough surface effects on wave propagation in interconnects," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 839-856, Nov. 2010.
27. Katti, G., M. Stucchi, K. de Meyer, and W. Dehaene, "Electrical modeling and characterization of through-silicon-via for three dimensional ICs," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 57, No. 1, 256-262, Jan. 2010.
28. Sze, S. M., Physics of Semiconductor Devices, Wiley, New York, 1981.
29. Wang, G., R. W. Dutton, and C. S. Rafferty, "Device level simulation of wave propagation along metal-insulator-semiconductor interconnects," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1127-1136, Apr. 2002.
30. Bandyopadhyay, T., K. J. Han, D. Chung, R. Chatterjee, M. Swaminathan, and R. Tummala, "Rigorous electrical modeling of Through Silicon Vias (TSVs) with MOS capacitance effects," IEEE Trans. CPMT, Vol. 1, No. 6, 893-903, Jun. 2011.
31. Katti, G., M. Stucchi, J. V. Olmen, K. de Meyer, and W. Dehaene, "Through-Silicon-Via capacitance reduction technique to benefit 3-D IN performance," IEEE Electron Dev. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 6, 549-551, Jun. 2001.
32. He, X., W. Wang, and Q. Cao, "Crosstalk modeling and analysis of Through-Silicon-Via connection in 3D integration," PIERS Proceedings, 857-861, Taipei, Mar. 25-28, 2013.