This paper presents a computationally efficient technique for designing electrically thick differentially-driven rectangular microstrip antennas with coaxial probe feed. It concerns the use of a transmission line model for probe positioning, along with a full-wave field simulator that yields accurate results with reduced number of required full-wave simulations. An electrically thick antenna was designed with the proposed technique to operate at 2442 MHz, having its radiation patterns and input impedance measured and compared against a single-feed rectangular microstrip antenna to demonstrate the advantages of using differential feed to reduce cross-polarization in H-plane.
2. Huang, J., "Microstrip antennas: Analysis, design, and application," Modern Antenna Handbook, 157-200, C. A. Balanis (ed.), Wiley, Hoboken, 2008.
3. Chiba, T., Y. Suzuki, and N. Miyano, "Suppression of higher modes and cross polarized component for microstrip antennas," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 285-288, Albuquerque, Piscataway, 1982.
4. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, and N. Gagnon, "Suppression of unwanted probe radiation in wideband probe-fed microstrip patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 5, 355-357, Mar. 1999.
5. Fujimoto, K., "Antennas for mobile communications," Modern Antenna Handbook, 1143-1228, C. A. Balanis, Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 2008.
6. Zhang, Y. P. and J. J. Wang, "Theory and analysis of differentially-driven microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1092-1099, Apr. 2006.
7. Zhang, Y. P., "Design and experiment on differentially-driven microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2701-2708, Oct. 2006.
8. Zhang, Y. P., "Electrical separation and fundamental resonance of differentially-driven microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1078-1084, Apr. 2011.
9. Tong, Z., A. Stelzer, and W. Menzel, "Improved expressions for calculating the impedance of differential feed rectangular microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Letters, Vol. 22, No. 9, 441-443, Sep. 2012.
10. Zhang, Y. P. and Z. Chen, "The Wheeler method for the measurement of the efficiency of differentially-driven microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 6, 3436-3439, Jun. 2014.
11. Richards, W. F., Y. T. Lo, and D. D. Harrison, "An improved theory for microstrip antennas and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 38-46, Jan. 1981.
12. Ferreira, D. B., C. B. de Paula, and D. C. do Nascimento, "Design techniques for conformal microstrip antennas and their arrays," Advancement in Microstrip Antennas with Recent Applications, 3-31, A. Kishk, Ed., InTech, Rijeka, 2013, Doi: 10.5772/53019.
13. Munson, R. E., "Conformal microstrip antennas and microstrip phased arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 22, No. 1, 74-78, Jan. 1974.
14. Derneryd, A. G., "A theoretical investigation of the rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 26, No. 4, 532-535, Jul. 1978.
15. De Paula, C. B., D. B. Ferreira, and I. Bianchi, "Algorithm for the design of linearly polarized microstrip antennas," Momag Symp., Joao Pessoa, Brazil, Aug. 5-8, 2012 (in Portuguese).