This paper presents an analytical formula to evaluate even- and odd-mode characteristics of infinitely parallel coplanar waveguides (CPW) with the same dimensions in each CPW, given name as periodic coplanar waveguides (PCPW). The analysis yields a closed-form expression based on the quasi-TEM assumption and conformal mapping transformation. Calculated results show that both the even- and odd-mode characteristic impedances are in good agreements with the results generated by numerical solvers and available experimental data. The results are important especially for highly demand on miniaturization of circuit design to place multiple CPWs in parallel.
2. Davis, M. E., E. W. Williams, and A. C. Celestini, "Finite-oundary corrections to the coplanar waveguide analysis (short papers)," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 21, No. 9, 594-596, 1973.
3. Veyres, C. and V. Fouad Hanna, "Extension of the application of conformal mapping techniques to coplanar lines with finite dimensions," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 1, 1980.
4. Jackson, R. W., "Considerations in the use of coplanar waveguide for millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech.,, Vol. 34, No. 12, 1450-1456, 1986.
5. Ghione, G. and C. U. Naldi, "Coplanar waveguides for MMIC applications: Effect of upper shielding, conductor backing, finite-extent ground planes, and line-to-line coupling," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 35, No. 3, 260-267, 1987.
6. Khan, O. D., A. Z. Elsherbeni, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Characteristics of cylindrical multiconductor transmission lines above a perfectly conducting ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 15, 191-220, 1997.
7. Zemanian, A. H., "A finite-difference procedure for the exterior problem inherent in capacitance computations for VLSI interconnections," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 35, No. 7, 985-992, 1988.
8. Zemanian, A. H., R. P. Tewarson, C. P. Ju, and J. F. Jen, "Three-dimensional capacitance computations for VLSI/ULSI interconnections," IEEE Trans. on Computer-aided Design Integrated Circuits Systems, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1319-1326, 1989.
9. Schwindt, R. and C. Nguyen, "Spectral domain analysis of three symmetric coupled lines and application to a new bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1183-1189, 1994.
10. Drake, E., F. Medina, and M. Horno, "Quick computation of [C] and [L] matrices of generalized multiconductor coplanar waveguide transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2328-2335, 1994.
11. Plaza, G., F. Mesa, and M. Horno, "Quick computation of [C], [L], [G], and [R] matrices of multiconductor and multilayered transmission systems," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 43, No. 7, 1623-1626, 1995.
12. Yamamoto, S., T. Azakami, and K. Itakura, "Coupled strip transmission line with three center conductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 14, No. 10, 446-461, 1966.
13. Peter Linner, L. J., "A method for the computation of the characteristic immittance matrix of multiconductor striplines with arbitrary widths," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 22, No. 11, 930-937, 1974.
14. Wen, C. P., "Coplanar-waveguide directional couplers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 18, No. 6, 318-322, 1970.
15. Cheng, K. K. M., "Analysis and synthesis of coplanar coupled lines on substrates of finite thicknesses," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, No. 4, 636-639, 1996.
16. Cheng, K. K. M., "Characteristic parameters of symmetrical triple coupled CPW lines," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 8, 685-687, 1997.
17. Wolff, I., Coplanar Microwave Integrated Circuits, Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, 2006.
18. Shiue, G.-H., J.-H. Shiu, and P.-W. Chiu, "Analysis and design of crosstalk noise reduction for coupled striplines inserted guard trace with an open-stub on time-domain in high-speed digital circuits," IEEE Trans. on Comp., Packag. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 1, No. 10, 1573-1582, 2011.
19. Cheng, , Y.-S., W.-D. Guo, C.-P. Hung, R.-B. Wu, and D. de Zutter, "Enhanced microstrip guard trace for ringing noise suppression using a dielectric superstrate," IEEE Trans. on Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 961-968, 2010.
20. Martin, F. , F. Falcone, J. Bonache, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, and M. Sorolla, "Analysis of the reflection properties in electromagnetic bandgap coplanar waveguides loaded with reactive elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 27-48, 2003.
21. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
22. Erli, C. and S. Y. Chou, "Characteristics of coplanar transmission lines on multilayer substrates: Modeling and experiments," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 45, No. 6, 939-945, 1997.
23. Carlsson, E. and S. Gevorgian, "Conformal mapping of the field and charge distributions in multilayered substrate CPWs," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1544-1552, 1999.
24. Ghione, G. and M. Goano, "Revisiting the partial-capacitance approach to the analysis of coplanar transmission lines on multilayered substrates," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2007-2014, 2003.
25. Chang, C.-N., Y.-C. Wong, C. H. Chen, and , "Full-wave analysis of coplanar waveguides by variational conformal mapping technique," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 38, No. 9, 1339-1344, 1990.
26. Jansen, R. H., "Hybrid mode analysis of end effects of planar microwave and millimetrewave transmission lines," IEE Proc. H Microw. Optics and Antennas, Vol. 128, No. 2, 77-86, 1981.
27., "COMSOL Multiphysics,", v4.2a Ed., 2011.