Present work deals with the microwave absorption characteristics of BaFe12O19 of interest as radar absorbing material (RAM). There are very few reported works available where particle size has been critically analyzed for absorbing characteristics at microwave frequencies, therefore, in this paper microwave absorption properties of the BaFe12O19 with different particle sizes were investigated. The results showed that the particle size had significant influence on the dielectric and absorption properties of the composites in the 8.2-12.4 GHz frequency range. BaFe12O19 powder of different particle sizes were synthesized by varying the annealing time and it was observed that the real part of permittivity of the composite increases from 5.18 (average value) to 7.50 (average value) and imaginary part increases from an average value of 0.20 to an average value of 2.33, whereas the real part of permeability increases from 0.95 (average value) to 1.11 (average value) and imaginary part of permeability was measured in the range of 0.02 to 0.07. These changes in permittivity and permeability affects microwave absorption application. It is observed that the maximum bandwidth for average particle size of 240 nm is 3.02 GHz and with the increase in average particle size, microwave absorption properties increased.
2. Singh, P., V. K. Babbar, A. Razdan, S. L. Srivastava, V. K. Agrawal, and T. C. Goel, "Dielectric constant, magnetic permeability and microwave absorption studies of hot-pressed Ba-CoTi hexaferrite composites in X-band," Journal of Material Science, Vol. 41, 7190-7196, 2006.
3. Mu, G., N. Chen, X. Pan, H. Shen, and M. Gu, "Preparation and microwave absorption properties of Barium ferrite nanorods," Materials Letters, Vol. 62, 840-842, 2008.
4. Ohlan, A. , K. Singh, N. Gandhi, A. Chandra, S. K. Dhawan, and , "Microwave absorption properties of NiCoFe2O4-graphite embed- ded poly (o-phenetidine) nanocomposites," AIP Advances, Vol. 1, 032157, 2011.
5. Ozgiir, U., Y. Alivov, and H. Morkoc, "Microwave ferrites, Part 1: Fundamental properties," Journal of Material Science: Materials Electronics, Vol. 20, 789-834, 2009.
6. Hlavacek, V. and J. A. Puszynski, "Chemical engineering aspects of advanced ceramic materials," Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research,, Vol. 35, 349-377, 1996.
7. Liu, M., X. Shen, F. Song, J. Xiang, and R. Liu, "Effect of heat treatment on particle growth and magnetic properties of electrospun Sr0.8La0.2Zn0.2Fe11.8O19 nano fibers," Journal of SolGel Science and Technology, Vol. 59, 553-560, 2011.
8. Bezerra, , C. W. B., L. Zhang, H. Liu, K. Lee, A. L. B. Marques, E. P. Marques, H. Wang, and J. Zhang, "A review of heat-treatment effects on activity and stability of PEM fuel cell catalysts for oxygen reduction reaction," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 173, 891-908, 2007.
9. Meshram, M., N. K. Agrawal, B. Sinha, and P. S. Misra, "Characterization of (Co-Mn-Ti) substituted M-type Barium hexagonal ferrite based microwave absorber at X-band," IEEE Proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory,, 746-749, 2003.
10. Tang, X., Y. Yang, and K. Hu, "Structure and electromagnetic behavior of BaFe12-2x(Ni0.8Ti0.7)xO19-0.8x in the 2-12 GHz frequency range," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 477, 488-492, 2009.
11. Kumar, A., V. Agarwala, and D. Singh, "Effect of Mg-substitution on microwave absorption of BaFe12O19," Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 585, 62-66, 2012.
12. Qiua, , J., M. Gu, and H. Shen, "Microwave absorption properties of Al- and Cr-substituted M-type barium hexaferrite," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 295, 263-268, 2005.
13. Qiu, J., Y. Wang, and M. Gu, "Effect of Cr substitution on microwave absorption of BaFe12O19," Materials Letter, Vol. 60, 2728-2732, 2006.
14. Panda, R. N., J. C. Shih, and T. S. Chin, "Magnetic properties of nano-crystalline Gd- or Pr-substituted CoFe2O4 synthesized by the citrate precursor technique," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Material, Vol. 257, 79-86, 2003.
15. Tyagi, S., H. B. Baskey, R. C. Agarwala, V. Agarwala, and T. C. Shami, "Development of hard/soft ferrite nanocomposite for enhanced microwave absorption," Ceramics International, Vol. 37, 2631-2641, 2011.
16. Tyagi, S., H. B. Baskey, R. C. Agarwala, V. Agarwala, and T. C. Shami, "Reaction kinetic, magnetic and microwave absorption studies of SrFe12O19/CoFe2O4 ferrite nanocrystals," Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, Vol. 64, 271-277, 2011.
17. Zhang, H., M. Wu, X. Yao, and L. Zhang, "Complex permittivity, permeability, and microwave absorption of Barium ferrite by citrate sol-gel process," Rare Metals, Vol. 22, 125-130, 2003.
18. Holland, T. J. B. and S. A. T. Redfern, "Unit cell refinement from powder di®raction data: The use of regression diagnostics," Mineralogical Magazine, Vol. 61, 65-67, 1997.
19. Meza, V. A., X. Gratens, and R. F. Jardim, "Preparation and general physical properties of polycrystalline PrBa2Cu3O77-y obtained from sol-gel precursors," Brazilian Journal of Physics, Vol. 32, 731-738, 2002.
20. Sharma, R., R. C. Agarwala, and V. Agarwala, "Development of radar absorbing nano crystals by microwave irradiation," Materials Letters, Vol. 62, 2233-2236, 2008.
21. Taylor, P., "Ostwald ripening in emulsions," Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 75, 107-163, 1998.
22. Bahadoor, A., Y. Wang, and M. N. Afsar, "Complex permittivity and permeability of barium and strontium ferrite powders in X, Ku, and K-band frequency ranges ," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 97, 10F105-1-10F105-3, 2005.
23. Giannakopoulou, T., L. Kompotiatis, A. Kontogeorgakos, and G. Kordas, "Microwave behavior of ferrites prepared via sol-gel method," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 246, 360-365, 2002.
24. Zhang, H., Z. Liu, C. Ma, Y. Xi, L. Zhang, and M. Wu, "Complex permittivity, permeability, and microwave absorption of Zn- and Ti-substituted barium ferrite by citrate sol-gel process," Materials Science and Engineering B, Vol. 96, 289-295, 2002.
25. Zou, H., S. Li, L. Zhang, S. Yan, H. Wu, S. Zhang, and M. Tian, "Determining factors for high performance silicone rubber microwave absorbing materials," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 323, 1643-1651, 2011.
26. Zhou, Z., L. Chu, and S. Hu, "Microwave absorption behaviors of tetra-needle-like ZnO whiskers," Materials Science and Engineering B, Vol. 126, 93-96, 2006.