In this paper, we show that the solution of linear coupled mode equations (LCME) is a good approximation to that of the nonlinear coupled mode equations (NLCME) for small times, provided that the nonlinearity is weak. We bound the difference between the two solutions using energy estimates. We illustrate our findings in numerical examples.
2. Eggleton, B. J., C. M. de Sterke, and R. E. Slusher, "Nonlinear pulse propagation in Bragg gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 1, 2980-2993, 1997.
3. Eggleton, B. J., C. M. de Sterke, and R. E. Slusher, "Bragg solitons in the nonlinear Schrodinger limit: Experiment and theory," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, 587-599, 1999.
4. Eggleton, B. J., R. E. Slusher, C. M. de Sterke, P. A. Krug, and J. E. Sipe, "Bragg grating solitons," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 1627-1630, 1996.
5. Goodman, R. H., M. I. Weinstein, and P. J. Holmes, "Nonlinear propagation of light in one-dimensional periodic structures," J. Nonlin. Sci., Vol. 11, 123-168, 2001.
6. Kashyap, R., Fiber Bragg Gratings, Academic Press, 1999.
7. Slusher, R. E., B. J. Eggleton, T. A. Strasser, and C. M. de Sterke, "Nonlinear pulse reflections from chirped fiber gratings," Opt. Express, Vol. 3, 465-475, 1998.
8. De Sterke, C. M., "Wave propagation through nonuniform gratings with slowly varying parameters," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 17, 2405-2411, 1999.
9. De Sterke, C. M. and J. E. Sipe, "Gap solitons," Progress in Optics XXXIII, Chap. III, 203-260, 1994.
10. Tsoy, E. N. and C. M. de Sterke, "Propagation of nonlinear pulses in chirped gratings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 62, No. 2, 2882-2890, 2000.