In this paper, a chiral metamaterial (CMM) with complementary U-shaped structure assembly is proposed. The microwave experimental and simulated results of the proposed complementary structure exhibit giant optical activity. The experimental results are in good agreement with the numerical ones. The retrieval results reveal that negative refractive indices for right-handed and left-handed circularly polarized waves could be easily realized due to strong chirality. The mechanism of the chiral behaviors of resonance frequencies will be illustrated by simulated current distributions. Further, the complementary U-shaped structure assembly also exhibits stronger circular dichroism, giant optical activity, and negative index at near-infrared region by simulations.
2. Smith D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
3. Shelby , R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
4. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, No. 18, 3966-3969, 2000.
5. Schurig, , D., , J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
6. Ziolkowski, R. W. and A. Erentok, "Metamaterial-based efficient electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antenn. and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2113-2130, 2006.
7. Mirza, I. O., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Phase modulation using dual split ring resonators," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 7, 5089-5097, 2009.
8. Zhang, S., W. Fan, K. J. Malloy, S. R. Brueck, N. C. Panoiu, and R. M. Osgood, "Near-infrared double negative metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, No. 13, 4922-4930, 2005.
9. Shalaev, V. M., W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H. K. Yuan, A. K. Sarychev, V. P. Drachev, and A. V. Kildishev, "Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 3356-3358, 2005.
10. Paul, O., C. Imhof, B. Reinhard, R. Zengerle, and R. Beigang, "Negative index bulk metamaterial at terahertz frequencies," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 9, 6736-6744, 2008.
11. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695-706, 2003.
12. Pendry, J. B., "A chiral route to negative refraction," Science, Vol. 306, No. 5700, 1353-1355, 2004.
13. Rogacheva, A. V. , V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, and N. I. Zheludev, "\Giant gyrotropy due to electromagnetic-field coupling in a bilayered chiral structure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 17, 2006.
14. Liu, H., D. A. Genov, D. M. Wu, Y. M. Liu, Z. W. Liu, C. Sun, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Magnetic plasmon hybridization and optical activity at optical frequencies in metallic nanostructures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 7, 073101(4), 2007.
15. Li, , T. Q., H. Liu, T. Li, S. M. Wang, F. M. Wang, R. X. Wu, P. Chen, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Magnetic resonance hybridization and optical activity of microwaves in a chiral metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 92, No. 13, 131111(3), 2008.
16. Decker, , M., S. Linden, M. Wegener, "Coupling effects in low-symmetry planar split-ring resonator arrays," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 10, 1579-1581, 2009.
17. Wang, B., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Wide-angle and polarization-independent chiral metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, No. 3, 033108, 2009.
18. Singh, R. J., E. Plum, W. L. Zhang, and N. I. Zheludev, "Highly tunable optical activity in planar achiral terahertz metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 13, 13425-13430, 2010.
19. Wang, B. , T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials: Simulations and experiments," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114003(1), 2009.
20. Zhang, S., Y.-S. Park, J. Li, X. Lu, W. Zhang, and X. Zhang, "Negative refractive index in chiral metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 2, 023901(4), 2009.
21. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 3, 035407(6), 2009.
22. Zhou, J., J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 12, 121104(4), 2009.
23. Dong, J., J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. Soukoulis, "Bi-layer crosschiral structure with strong optical activity and negative refractiveindex," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 14172-14179, 2009.
24. Li, Z., R. Zhao, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, K. B. Alici， E. Colak, H. Caglayan, E. Ozbay, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four ‘’U" split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 8, 081901(3), 2010.
25. Decker, M., R. Z., C. M. Soukoulis, S. Linden, and M. Wegener, "Twisted split-ring-resonator photonic metamaterial with huge optical activity," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 10, 1593, 2010.
26. Zhao, R. , L. Zhang, J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Conjugated gammadion chiral metamaterial with uniaxial optical activity and negative refractive index," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, No. 3, 035105(4), 2011.
27. Li, Z., K. B. Alici, E. Colak, and E. Ozbay, "Complementary chiral metamaterials with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 161907, 2011.
28. Li, J., F. Q. Yang, and J. F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
29. Wu, Z., J. Zhu, H. Lu, and B Zeng, "A double-layer metamaterial with negative refractive index originating from chiral configuration," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 1, 163-166, 2011.
30. Zarifi, D., M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "A novel dual-band chiral metamaterial structure with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 251-263, 2012.
31. Li, Z., K. B. Alici, H. Caglayan, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Composite chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index and high values of the figure of merit," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 16, 6146-6156, 2012.
32. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Comparison of chiral metamaterial designs for repulsive Casimir force," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, No. 32, 235126, 2010.
33. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., Wiley, 1999.
34. Falcone, F. , T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, M. Beruete, R. R. Marques, F. F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Babinet principle applied to the design of metasurfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 19, 197401(4), 2004.
35. Zentgraf , T., T. P. Meyrath, A. Seidel, S. Kaiser, and H. Giessen, "Babinet's principle for optical frequency metamaterials and nanoantennas," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 3, 033407(4), 2007.
36. Liu, N., S. Kaiser, and H. Giessen, "Magnetoinductive and electroinductive coupling in plasmonic metamaterial molecules," Adv. Mater., Vol. 20, No. 23, 4521-4525, Deerfield Beach, Florida, 2008.
37. Xiong, X. , W. H. Sun, Y. J. Bao, M. Wang, R. W. Peng, C. Sun, X. Lu, J. Shao, Z. F. Li, and N. B. Ming, "Construction of a chiral metamaterial with a U-shaped resonator assembly," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, No. 7, 075119, 2010.
38. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metama-terials: Retrieval of the effective parameters with and without substrate," Opt. Express, Vol. 8, No. 14, 14553-14567, 2010.
39. Kwon, D., D. H. Werner, A. V. Kildishev, V. M. Shalaev, and , "Material parameter retrieval procedure for general bi-isotropic metamaterials and its application to optical chiral negative-index metamaterial design," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 16, 11822-11829, 2008.
40. Depine, R. A. and A. A. Lakhtakia, "New condition to identify isotropic dielectric-magnetic materials displaying negative phase velocity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 4, 315-316, 2004.