The calculation of electromagnetic (EM) fields and waves inside finite-sized structures comprised of different media can benefit from a diakoptics method such as linear embedding via Green's operators (LEGO). Unlike scattering problems, the excitation of EM waves within the bulk dielectric requires introducing sources inside the structure itself. To handle such occurrence, we have expanded the set of LEGO sub-domains - employed to formulate an EM problem - to deal with the inclusion of elementary sources. The corresponding subdomains (bricks) play the role of ``generators'' in the equivalent model. Moreover, if a source is ``turned off'', as it were, the enclosing brick can be utilized as a numerical ``probe'' to sample the EM field. In this paper, we present the integral equations of LEGO modified so as to accommodate generator/probe bricks. Numerical results are provided which demonstrate the validity and the efficiency of the approach.
2. Yuan, H.-W., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, and D.-Y. Su, "Scattering analysis of the large array antennas using the synthetic basis functions method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 309-320, 2009.
3. Li, M. K. and W. C. Chew, "Wave-field interaction with complex structures using equivalence principle algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 130-138, Jan. 2007.
4. Mittra, R. and K. Du, "Characteristic basis function method for iteration-free solution of large method of moments problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 307-336, 2008.
5. Xiao, G., J.-F. Mao, and B. Yuan, "A generalized surface integral equation formulation for analysis of complex electromagnetic systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 701-710, Mar. 2009.
6. Ylä-Oijala, P. and M. Taskinen, "Electromagnetic scattering by large and complex structures with surface equivalence principle algorithm," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 19, 105-125, Feb. 2009.
7. Lancellotti, V., B. P. de Hon, and A. G. Tijhuis, "An eigencurrent approach to the analysis of electrically large 3-D structures using linear embedding via Green's operators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 3575-3585, Nov. 2009.
8. Lancellotti, V., B. P. de Hon, and A. G. Tijhuis, "Scattering from large 3-D piecewise homogeneous bodies through linear embedding via Green's operators and Arnoldi basis functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 305-322, Apr. 2010.
9. Lancellotti, V. and A. G. Tijhuis, "Convergence properties of a diakoptics method for electromagnetic scattering from 3-D complex structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 24, 127-140, May 2012.
10. Lancellotti, V., B. P. de Hon, and A. G. Tijhuis, "Wave scattering from random sets of closely spaced objects through linear embedding via Green's operators," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 21, 434-455, Aug. 2011.
11. Rothwell, E. J. and M. J. Cloud, Electromagnetics, CRC Press, London, 2001.
12. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 30, 409-418, May 1982.