The excitation of ion azimuthal surface oscillations with extraordinary polarization by light ion beam is studied analytically. Beam-plasma system consists of a cylindrical metal waveguide filled partially by cold magnetized plasma and light ion flow rotating around the plasma column. Dependencies of the beam instability growth rate on the system parameters (plasma and beam densities, value of the external axial magnetic field, radius of the plasma column, width of the gap between the plasma column and the waveguide wall, absolute value and sign of the azimuthal wave number) are analyzed numerically.
2. Kiyoshi, Y., "Industrial applications of pulse power and particle beams," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 7, No. 4, 733-741, 1989.
3. Miller, R. B., An Introduction to the Physics of Intense Charged Particle Beams, Plenum Press, New York, 1982.
4. Remnev, G. E. and V. A. Shylov, "Application of high-power ion beams for technology," Laser and Particle Beams, Vol. 11, No. 4, 707-731, 1993.
5. Gisler, G. R., "Particle-in-cell simulations of azimuthal instabil-ities in relativistic electron layers," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 30, No. 7, 2199-2208, 1987.
6. Kainer, S., et al., "Nonlinear wave interactions and evolution of a ring-beam distribution of energetic electrons," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 31, No. 8, 2238-2248, 1988.
7. Saito, H. and J. S. Wurtele, "The linear theory of the circular free-electron laser," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 30, No. 7, 2209-2220, 1987.
8. Kho, T. H., A. T. Lin, and L. Chen, "Gyrophase-coherent electron cyclotron maser," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 31, No. 10, 3120-3126, 1988.
9. Barker, R. J. and E. Schamiloglu, High-power Microwave Sources and Technologies, IEEE Press, New York, 2001.
10. Wu, J., C. Xiong, and S. Liu, "Excitation of microwave by an annular electron beam in a plasma-filled dielectric lined waveguide," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1573-1581, 1995.
11. Norreys, P. A., et al., "Observation of annular electron beam transport in multi-TeraWatt laser-solid interactions," Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Vol. 48, No. 2, L11-L22, 2006.
12. Vucovic, S., Surface Waves in Plasma and Solids, World Scientific, Singapore, 1986.
13. Girka, V. O., I. O. Girka, A. V. Girka, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Theory of azimuthal surface waves propagating in non-uniform waveguides," J. of Plasma Physics, Vol. 77, Part 4, 493-519, 2011.
14. Girka, V. O., I. O. Girka, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Excitation of azimuthal surface modes by relativistic flows of electrons in high-frequency range," Plasma Physics Reports, Vol. 37, No. 5, 447-454, 2011.
15. Girka, V. O., I. O. Girka, Y. I. Morgal, and I. V. Pavlenko, "Excitation of azimuthal surface modes by annular electron beams in the electron cyclotron frequency range," Physica Scripta, Vol. 84, 025505, 2011.
16. Girka, I. O. and P. K. Kovtun, "Azimuthal surface waves in a magnetized plasma," Technical Physics, Vol. 43, No. 12, 1424-1427, 1998.
17. Krall, N. A. and A. W. Trivelpiece, Principles of Plasma Physics, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1973.
18. Herlah, F., Strong and Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields and their Applications, Springer, Berlin, 1985.
19. Ivanov, B. I. and N. G. Shulika, "Influence of longitudinal focusing on changing the transversal emittance in accelerating the high-current proton beam," Problems of Atomic Science and Technology, No. 4, Series: Plasma Electronics and New Methods of Acceleration, No. 4, 133-138, 2004 (in Russian)..
20. Dominic Chan, K. C., G. P. Lawrence, and J. D. Schneider, "Development of RF linac for high-current applications," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, Vol. 139, No. 1-4, 394-400, 1998.
21. Malek, M. F. B. A., J. Lucas, and Y. Huang, "The engineering and construction of a pre-bunched free electron maser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 19-38, 2009.
22. Ederra, I., J. C. Iriarte, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Surface waves of finite size electromagnetic band gap woodpile structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 19-34, 2011.
23. Kumar, V., M. Mishra, and N. K. Joshi, "Study of a fluorescent tube as plasma antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 17-26, 2011.
24. Wu, M., B. Y.Wen, and H. Zhou, "Ionospheric clutter suppression in the surface wave radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1265-1272, 2009.
25. Girka, V. O. and I. O. Girka, "Emission of azimuthal surface waves from narrow waveguide slot," Soviet Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 9, 32-35, 1992.