A miniaturized printed log-periodic fractal dipole antenna is proposed. Tree fractal structure is introduced in an antenna design and evolves the traditional Euclidean log-periodic dipole array into the log-periodic second-iteration tree-dipole array (LPT2DA) for the first time. Main parameters and characteristics of the proposed antenna are discussed. A fabricated proof-of-concept prototype of the proposed antenna is etched on a FR4 substrate with a relative permittivity of 4.4 and volume of 490 mm × 245 mm × 1.5 mm. The impedance bandwidth (measured VSWR < 2) of the fabricated antenna with approximate 40% reduction of traditional log-periodic dipole antenna is from 0.37 to 3.55 GHz with a ratio of about 9.59 : 1. Both numerical and experimental results show that the proposed antenna has stable directional radiation patterns and apparently miniaturized effect, which are suitable for various ultra-wideband applications.
2. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2242-2251, 2009.
3. Gayathri, R., T. U. Jisney, D. D. Krishna, M. Gopikrishna, and C. K. Aanandan, "Band-notched inverted-cone monopole antenna for compact UWB systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 20, 1170-1171, 2008.
4. Ye, L.-H. and Q.-X. Chu, "Improved band-notched UWB slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 25, 1283-1285, 2009.
5. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "A PSO-driven spline-based shaping approach for ultra wideband (UWB) antenna synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2613-2621, 2008.
6. Gibbins, D., M. Klemm, I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "A comparison of a wide-slot and a stacked patch antenna for the purpose of breast cancer detection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 665-674, 2010.
7. Dastranj, A., A. Imani, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Printed wide-slot antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3097-3102, 2008.
8. Deng, C. and Y. J. Xie, "Design of resistive loading Vivaldi antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 240-243, 2009.
9. Chung, K. H., S. H. Pyun, and J. H. Choi, "Design of an ultrawide-band TEM horn antenna with a microstrip-type balun," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3410-3413, 2005.
10. Venkatesan, V. and K. T. Selvan, "Rigorous gain measurements on wide-band ridge horn," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 3, 592-594, 2006.
11. Zhou, Z. W., S. W. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "A novel broadband printed dipole antenna with low cross-polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 11, 3091-3093, 2007.
12. Campbell, C. K., I. Traboulay, M. S. Suthers, and H. Kneve, "Design of a strip line log periodic dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 25, No. 5, 718-721, September 1977.
13. Sundaram, A., M. Maddela, and R. Ramadoss, "Koch-fractal folded-slot antenna characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 219-222, 2007.
14. Petko, J. S. and D. H. Werner, "Miniature reconfigurable three-dimensional fractal tree antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1945-1956, 2004.
15. Murad, N. A., M. Esa, M. Fairus, M. Yusoff, S. Hajar, and A. Ali, "Hilbert curve fractal antenna for rfid application," International RF and Microwave Conference Proceedings, 182-186, Putrajaya, Malaysia, September 12-14, 2006.
16. Wu, Q., R. H. Jin, and J. P. Geng, "A single-layer ultrawideband microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 1, 211-214, 2010.