The approximate distribution of the current density induced on the tape surface by guided electromagnetic waves supported by an infinite open tape helix is estimated from an exact solution of a homogenous boundary value problem for Maxwell's equations. It is shown that the magnitude of the surface current density component perpendicular to the winding direction is at least three orders of magnitude smaller than that of the surface current density component parallel to the winding direction everywhere on the tape surface. Also, the magnitude and phase distribution for the surface current density components parallel and perpendicular to the winding direction are seen to be nearly uniform at all frequencies corresponding to real values of the propagation constant.
2. Chodorov, M. and E. L. Chu, "Cross-wound twin helices for traveling-wave tubes," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 26, No. 1, 33-43, 1955.
3. Watkins, D. A., Topics in Electromagnetic Theory, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1958.
4. Zhang, K. A. and D. Li, "Electromagnetic Theory for Microwaves and Optoelectronics," Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg, 2008.
5. Basu, B. N., "Electromagnetic Theory and Applications in Beamwave Electronics," World Scientific, Singapore, 1996.
6. D'Agostino, S., F. Emma, and C. Paoloni, "Accurate analysis of helix slow-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 45, No. 7, 1605-1613, 1998.
7. Tsutaki, K., Y. Yuasa, and Y. Morizumi, "Numerical analysis and design for high-performance helix traveling wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 32, No. 9, 1842-1849, 1985.
8. Chernin, D., T. M. Antonsen, and B. Levush, "Exact treatment of the dispersion and beam interaction impedance of a thin tape helix surrounded by a radially stratified dielectric ," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 46, No. 7, 1472-1483, 1999.
9. Kalyanasundaram, N. and G. Naveen Babu, "Dispersion of electromagnetic waves guided by an open tape helix II," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 19, 133-150, 2010.
10. Kalyanasundaram, N. and G. Naveen Babu, "Dispersion of electromagnetic waves guided by an open tape helix I," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 16, 311-331, 2009.
11. Katznelson, Y., An Introduction to Harmonic Analysis, 3rd Ed., Cambridge University Press, 2004.