We show theoretically that the absorption of one dimensional metal-organic periodic structure (1D MOPS) can be enhanced due to organic constituents. We have used simple transfer matrix method to calculate the absorption, transmittance and reflectance of the 1D MOPS systems. The absorption, transmittance and reflectance of 1D MOPS containing periodic of Ag/N,N'-bis-(1-naphthyl)-N,N'diphenyl-1,1'biphenyl-4,4'diamine (NPB) structure are calculated taking optical constant of NPB  and Ag . The enhanced absorption of the considered structure is obtained in the visible and in the near infrared regions. Besides this we have also studied the absorption, transmittance and reflectance of the 1D MOPS with air and glass substrates. We find that the absorption is enhanced with variation of thickness of organic layer (NPB). Such absorption enhancement in 1D MOPS could allow many potential applications in photo-thermal technology, thermo photo-voltaic and blackbody emission.
2. Palik, E. D., Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids I, II, III, Academic Press Ltd., 1998.
3. Bloemer, M. J. and M. Scalora, "Transmissive properties of Ag/MgF2 photonic band gaps," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 72, 1676-1678, 1998.
4. Larciprete, M. C., C. Sibilia, S. Paoloni, M. Bertolotti, F. Sarto, and M. Scalora, "Accessing the optical limiting properties of metallo-dielectric photonic band gap structures," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 5013-5017, 2003.
5. Lepeshkin, N. N., A. Schweinsberg, G. Piredda, R. S. Bannink, and R. W. Boyd, "Enhanced non-linear optical response of one-dimensional metal dielectric photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, 123902-123905, 2004.
6. Xu, P. and Z. Y. Li, "Study of frequency band gaps in metal-dielectric composite materials," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 37, 1718-1724, 2004.
7. Scalora, M., M. J. Bloemer, A. S. Pethel, J. P. Dowling, C. M. Bowden, and A. S. Manka, "Transparent, metallo-dielectric, one-dimensional, photonic band gap structures," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 83, 2377-2383, 1998.
8. Feng, S., J. M. Elson, and P. L. Overfelt, "Optical properties of multilayer metal-dielectric nano films with all evanescent modes," Optic Express, Vol. 13, 4113-4124, 2005.
9. Maroz, A., A. Tip, and J. M. Combes, "Absorption in periodic layered structures," Synth. Met., Vol. 116, 481-484, 2001.
10. Tarot, A. C., S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Numerical studies of metallic PBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 133-157, 2003.
11. Yu, J., Y. Shen, X. Liu, R. Fu, J. Zi, and Z. Zhu, "Absorption in one dimensional metallo-dielectric photonic crystals," J. Phys.: Conden. Matter, Vol. 16, L51-L56, 2004.
12. Xi, Y. G., X. Wang, X. H. Hu, X. H. Liu, and J. Zi, "Modification f absorption of a bulk material by photonic crystal," Chines. Phys. Lett., Vol. 19, 1819-1821, 2003.
13. Dong, J. W., G. Q. Liung, Y. H. Chen, and H. Z. Wa, "Robust absorption broad band in one-dimensional metallic-dielectric quasi-periodic structure," Optic Express, Vol. 14, 2014-2019, 2006.
14. Srivastava, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Photonic band gaps in one-dimensional Metallic star waveguide structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 359-362, 2008.
15. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988.
16. Guida, G., A. De Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonoc band gap (PBG) materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003.