An effective method for improving the characteristics of the microstrip parallel coupled line coupler is proposed. Some grooves are oriented parallel to the strips and just next to them. It can be shown that an appropriate depth of the grooves can be used for equalizing the even- and odd-mode phase velocity in a coupled microstrip lines with proper geometrical dimensions. Sets of design graphs are derived for various depths of grooves as a parameter and with curves that implies phase velocity equalization curves. The simulated scattering parameters for couplers in conventional and proposed topology show the efficacy of the new grooved substrates.
2. Sharma, R., T. Chakravarty, and S. Bhooshan, "Design of a novel 3 dB microstrip backward wave coupler using defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 261-273, 2006.
3. Nedil, M. and T. A. Denidni, "Analysis and design of an ultra wideband directional coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 291-305, 2008.
4. Niu, J. X., X. L. Zhou, and L. S. Wu, "Analysis and application of novel structures based on split ring resonators and coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 153-162, 2007.
5. Chen, H. and Y. X. Zhang, "A novel compact planar SIX-Way power divider using folded and hybrid-expanded coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 243-252, 2007.
6. Zhang, J. and X. W. Sun, "Harmonic suppression of Branch-Line and Rat-Race coupler using complimentary split ring resonators (CSRR) cell," Progress In Electromagneticss Research Letters, Vol. 2, 73-79, 2008.
7. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide on ferrite substrate," Progress In Electromagneticss Research Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008.
8. D’Orazio, A. and N. C. Liuzzi, "A high performance C-band subharmonic modulator exploiting branch-line couplers as input/output ports," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 20, No. 4, 489-503, 2006.
9. Li, Z. and T. J. Cui, "Novel waveguide directional couplers using left-handed materials," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 21, No. 8, 1053-1062, 2007.
10. Jia, H., K. Yoshitomi, and K. Yasumoto, "Rigorous and fast convergent analysis of a rectangular waveguide coupler slotted in common wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 245-264, 2004.
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3 Ed., Addison Wesiey, 2004.
12. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks and coupling structures, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1980.
13. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-Line Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1999.
14. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. J. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slot Lines, 2 Ed., Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1996.
15. Sheleg, B. and B. E. Spielman, "Broadband directional couplers using microstrip with dielectric overlays," IEEE. Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-22, 1216-1220, 1974.
16. Podell, A., "A high directivity microstrip coupler technique," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 577-590, 1970.
17. March, S. L., "Phase velocity compansation in parallel-coupled microstrip," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Digest, 410-412, 1982.
18. Masot, F., F. Medina, and M. Horno, "Theoretical and experimental study of modified coupled strip coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 4, 347-348, Feb. 1992.