This paper presents microstrip transmission lines for designing a microstrip open loop resonator bandpass filter and a novel dual band transmitter. Microstrip open loop resonator bandpass filter with the dumbbell DGS under feed lines enhances the harmonic suppressed at the center frequency of 2.44 GHz. An asymmetric dumbbell DGS-integrated microstrip line is applied to the dual band transmitter which performs as a frequency doubler at 6.8 GHz or a power amplifier at 2.4 GHz. For the proposed bandpass filter,it has a wide stopband characteristic with attenuation -25 dB up to 8 GHz and has an -1.25 dB insertion loss by using two dumbbell DGS. Measurements of the dual band transmitter show that in frequency double mode,fundamen tal suppression and maximum output are -41 dBc and 7.8 dBm. And in amplifier mode,second harmonic suppression,P1 dB and gain achieve -52.6 dBc,13.7 dBm and 16.5 dB, respectively.
2. Zhang, P., L. Der, D. Guo, I. Sever, T. Bourdi, C. Lam, A. Zolfaghari, J. Chen, D. Gambetta, B. Cheng, S. Gowder, S. Hart, L. Huynh, T. Nguyen, and B. Razavi, "A single-chip dualband direct-conversion IEEE 802.11 a/b/g WLAN transceiver in 0.18-μm CMOS," IEEE J Solid State Circuits, Vol. 40, No. 8, 1932-1937, 2005.
3. Chang, C.-F. and S.-J. Chung, "Bandpass filter of serial configuration with two finite transmission zeros using LTCC technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2383-2388, 2005.
4. Chung, Y., S.-S. Jeon, S. Kim, D. Ahn, J.-I. Choi, and T. Itoh, "Multifunctional microstrip transmission lines integrated with defected ground structure for RF front-end application," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1425-1432, 2004.
5. Xiao, J.-K., S.-W. Ma,S. Zhang,and Y. Li, "Novel compact split ring stepped-impedance resonators (SIR) bandpass filters with transmission zero," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 329-339, 2007.
6. Zhang, J. and X.-W. Sun, "Harmonic suppression of branch-line and rat-race coupler using complementary spilt ring resonators (CSRR) cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 73-79, 2008.
7. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and Y.-J. Wu, "Compact dual-band and tri-band filters with loaded open-loop resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2371-2378, 2007.
8. Parui, S. K. and S. Das, Performance enhancement of microstrip open loop resonator band pass filter by defected ground structures, Conf. Proc. IEEE Int. Workshop Antenna Technol. Small Smart Antennas Metamater. Applic., 483-486, 2007.
9. Zhang, F. J. W. and J. S. Zhang, "Wideband cavity-backed patch antenna for pcs/imt2000/2.4 GHz WLAN," Progress In Electromagnatics Research, Vol. 74, 39-46, 2007.
10. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstripfed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnatics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
11. Chen, X. Q., et al., "A novel dual band transmitter using microstrip defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnatics Research, Vol. 83, 1-11, 2008.
12. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Theory and experiment of novel microstrip slow-wave open-loop resonator filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 12, Part 2, 2358--2365, 1997.
13. Park, Y., Melville, R. C. Frye, M. Chen, and J. S. Kenney, "Dual-band transmitters using digitally predistorted frequency multipliers for software defined radios," IEEE MTT S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 547-550, 2004.
14. Xiao, J.-K., "Novel microstrip dual-mode bandpass filter using isoscelles triangular patch resonator with fractal-shaped structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1341-1351, 2007.
15. El-Tokhy, M. A. and H. K. Mansour, "A 2.3-MW 16.7-MHz analog matched filter circuit for DS-CDMA wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 253-264, 2008.
16. Choi, H.-J., J.-S. Lim, and Y.-C. Jeong, "A new design of Doherty amplifiers using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, 687-689, 2006.
17. Zainud-Deen, S. H., M. E. S. Badr, E. El-Deen, K. H. Awadalla, and H. A. Sharshar, "Microstrip antenna with defected ground plane structure as a sensor for landmines detection," Progress In Electromagnatics Research B, Vol. 4, 27-39, 2008.
18. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar uwb bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnatics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
19. Oskouei, H. D., K. Forooraghi, and M. Hakkak, "Guided and leaky wave characteristics of periodic defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnatics Research, Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007.
20. Park, Y., Melville, R. C. Frye, M. Chen, and J. S. Kenney, "Dual-band transmitters using digitally predistorted frequency multipliers for reconfigurable radios," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 115-122, 2005.
21. Choi, H.-J., J.-S. Lim, and Y.-C. Jeong, "A new design of Doherty amplifiers using defected ground structure," IEEE Microwave Compon. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 12, 687-689, 2006.