A compact printed ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with band-notched characteristic is presented. The antenna is designed to cover the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) bandwidth for UWB applications (3.1--10.6 GHz) with band-notched at frequency band (5.15--5.825 GHz). The proposed antenna is fed by microstrip line, and it consists of square radiating patch on the top layer with a slotted-parasitic patch on the bottom layer of the antenna. The slotted-parasitic patch acts as a notch filtering element to reject the frequency band (5.15--5.825 GHz) which is used by IEEE 802.11a and HIPERLAN/2. Moreover, the pulse distortions of different input pulses are investigated based on S21 parameters for two cases; face to face and side by side orientations. There is a small acceptable influence on the matching between the input and the output pulses and it is found that the pulse distortion is low. Therefore, the proposed antenna is a good candidate for UWB applications.
2. Yang, L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Ultra-wideband communications: An idea whose time has come," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 6, 26-54, 2004.
3. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Consideration for source pulses antennas in UWB radio systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1739-1748, 2004.
4. Wu, X. H., Z. N. Chen, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Note on antenna design in UWB wireless communication systems," IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, 503-507, 2003.
5. Suh, S.-Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1361-1364, 2004.
6. Chen, Z. N., T. S. P. See, and X. Qing, "Small printed ultrawideband antenna with reduced ground plane effect," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 2, 383-388, 2007.
7. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K.-F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW FED ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
8. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Rectangular slot antenna with patch stub for ultra wideband applications and phased array systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 227-237, 2005.
9. Klemm, M. and G. Troester, "EM energy absorption in the human body tissues due to UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 261-280, 2006.
10. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-FED two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
11. Sadat, S., M. Houshmand, and M. Roshandel, "Design of a microstrip square-ring slot antenna filled by an H-shape slot for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 191-198, 2007.
12. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Kharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
13. Marrocco, G., M. Migliorelli, and M. Ciattaglia, "Simultaneous time-frequency modeling of ultra-wideband antennas by twodimensional hermite processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 317-337, 2007.
14. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
15. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-FED tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
16. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
17. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel bandnotched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
18. Peyrot-Solis, M. A., J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Design of multiband UWB planarized monopole using DMS technique," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 77-79, 2007.
19. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and F. S. Chang, Compact printed band-notched ultrawideband slot antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 572-575, 2005.
20. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-405, 2004.
21. Yoon, H., H. Kim, K. Chang, Y. J. Yoon, and Y. H. Kim, A study on the UWB antenna with band-rejection characteristic, IEEE Antennas Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1784-1784, Monterey, CA, 2004.
22. Yoon, I. J., H. Kim, H. K. Yoon, Y. J. Yoon, and Y. H. Kim, "Ultra-wideband tapered slot antenna with band cutoff characteristic," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 11, 629-630, 2005.
23. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, Planar ultra wide band slot antenna with frequency band notch function, IEEE Antennas Propagation Society International Symposium, 1788-1791, Monterey, CA, 2004.