Simultaneous multiple beam generation by phased array antennas have great importance in recent time, e.g., multiple access satellite communication systems, MIMO (multiple input and multiple output), target tracking radars etc. Here in this article a novel yet simple wideband multiple beam formation network (BFN) has been proposed. Unlike the conventional phase shifter based system, this scheme is based on true time-delay units which is potential for wideband application.
2. Butler, J. L. and R. Lowe, "Beam forming matrix simplifies design of electronically scanned antennas," Electronic Design, Vol. 9, 170-173, Apr. 12, 1961.
3. Levy, R., "High power X-band butler matrix simplifies," Microwave J., Vol. 27, 153, Apr. 1984.
4. Willington, J. R., Analysis, design and performance of a microstrip butler matrix, Proc. European Microwave Conference, Brussels, Belgium, Sept. 1973.
5. Blass, J., "Multi-directional antenna — A new approach to stacked beams," IRE Nat. Conv. Record, Pt. 1, 48--60, 1960.
6. Mosca, S., F. Bilotti, A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "A novel design method for blass matrix beam-forming network," IEEE Trans. for Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 225-232, Feb. 2002.
7. Steyskal, H. and J. F. Rose, Digital beam forming for radar, IEE Proc., Vol. 127, Pt. F, No. 4, Aug. 1980.
8. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "A novel tapered beamforming window for uniform concentric circular arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 409-415, 2006.
9. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "Improving the cellular coverage from a high altitude platform by novel tapered beamforming technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1721-1731, 2007.
10. Liu, W. and R. Langley, "Adaptive wideband beamforming with combined spatial/temporal subband decomposition," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 2007.
11. Liao, G. S., H. Q. Liu, and J. Li, "A subspace-based robust adaptive capon beamforming," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 4, 374-379, Mar. 26--29, 2006.
12. Singh, A. Kr., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "A novel digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006.
13. Fakoukakis, F. E., S. G. Diamantis, A. P. Orfanides, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006.
14. Wilkinson, E. J., "An N-way hybrid power divider," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 8, 116-118, Jan. 1960.
15. Lim, S., S.-W. Lee, C.-S. Kim, J.-S. Park, D. Ahn, and S.-W. Nam, "A 4 : 1 unequal wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 3, 124-126, Mar. 2001.
16. Lim, J.-S., G.-Y. Lee, Y.-C. Jeong, D. Ahn, and K.-S. Choi, A 1 : 6 unequal wilkinson power divider, 36th European Microwave Conference Proceedings, 200-203, Manchester, Sept. 2006.
17. Gu, Y.-J., Z.-G. Shi, K. S. Chen, and Y. Li, "Robust adaptive beamforming for a class of Gaussian steering vector mismatch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 315-328, 2008.
18. Sanyal, S. K., Q. M. Alfred, T. Chakravarty, "A novel schematic for calibration of large phased array antenna using programmable time-delay units," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 81-91, 2006.
19. Sanyal, S. K., Q. M. Alfred, and T. Chakravarty, "A novel beamswitching algorithm for programmable phased array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 187-196, 2006.
20. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006.
21. Song, M. and T. Hong, "Sum and difference multiple beam modulation transmitted by multimode horn antenna for inverse monopulse direction-finding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 367-380, 2008.
22. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002.
23. Ismail, T. H., M. J. Mismar, and M. M. Dawoud, "Linear array pattern synthesis for wide band sector nulling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 91-101, 1999.
24. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006.
25. Sotiriou, A. I., P. K. Varlamos, P. T. Trakadas, and C. Capsalis, "Performance of a six-beam switched parasitic planar array under one path Rayleigh fading environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 89-106, 2006.
26. Sotiriou, A. I., P. T. Trakadas, and C. Capsalis, "Uplink carrier-to-interference improvement in a cellular communication system when a six-beam switched parasitic array is implemented," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 303-321, 2008.
27. Yuan, H.-W., S.-X. Gong, P.-F. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Wide scanning phased array antenna using printed dipole antennas with parasitic element ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 187-193, 2008.