We have studied the optical properties, band structures and group velocities, of one dimensional photonic crystal (1-D PC) containing negative index materials using translational matrix method (TMM). The 1-D PC containing negative index materials is a periodic arrangement of positive index material (PIM) and negative index material (NIM). The observed group velocity of such structure is larger than the speed of light in certain range of normalized frequency which shown abnormal behaviors. The group velocity of the PC containing negative index materials have found larger than the speed of light. The values of the group velocity become zero, negative and positive for normalized frequencies. The structure containing negative index materials can be used to trap the photons inside the PC i.e., light localization occurs without introducing the defects.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photon in certain disordered dielectric superlattice," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486-2489, 1987.
3. Guida, G., A. de Lustrac, and A. Priou, "An introduction to photonic band gap (PBG) materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 1-20, 2003.
4. Rojas, J. A. M., J. Alpuente, J. Pineiro, and R. Sanchez, "Rigorous full vectorial analysis of electromagnetic wave propagation in 1D Inhomogeneous media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 89-105, 2006.
5. Banerjee, A., S. K. Awasthi, U. Malaviya, and S. P. Ojha, "Design of a nano-layered tunable optical filter," J. of Modern Optics, Vol. 53, 1739-1752, 2006.
6. Aissaoui, M., J. Zaghdoudi, M. Kanzari, and B. Rezig, "Optical properties of the quasi-periodic one-dimensional generalized multilayer fibonacci structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 69-83, 2006.
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekh1, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4778, 1996.
9. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 3966-3970, 2000.
10. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.
11. Zhang, Y., T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in a slab with negative permittivity and Negative permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 271-286, 2002.
12. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, 4184-4188, 2000.
13. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 72-75, 2001.
14. Ramakrishna, S. A., "Physics of negative index materials," Report Prog. Phys., Vol. 68, 449-525, 2005.
15. Zhang, Z. M. and C. J. Fu, "Unusual photon tunneling in the presence of a layer with a negative refractive index," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 1097-1102, 2002.
16. Wu, L., S. He, and L. Shen, "Band structure for a one-dimensional photonic crystal containing left handed materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, 235103-12, 2003.
17. Jiang, H., H. Chen, H. Li, Y. Zhang, J. Zi, and S. Zhu, "Properties of one dimensional photonic crystals containing single-negative materials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 69, 066607-10, 2004.
18. Bria, D., B. Djafari-Rouhani, A. Akjouj, L. Dobrzynski, J. P. Vigneron, E. H. ElBoudouti, and A. Nougaoui, "Band structure and omni directional photonic band gaps in lamellar structure with left handed materials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 69, 066613-12, 2005.
19. Shadrivov, I. V., A. A. Sukhorukov, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Complete band gaps in one dimensional left handed periodic structure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 193903-4, 2005.
20. Wu, R. X., Wave polarization and left-handed materials in metallic magnetic thin films, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 459-463, Hangzhou, China, 2005.
21. Shu, W. and J. M. Song, "Complete mode spectrum of a grounded dielectric slab with double negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 103-123, 2006.
22. Singh, S. K., J. P. Pandey, K. B. Thapa, and S. P. Ojha, "Structural parameters in the formation of omnidirectional high reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 53-78, 2007.
23. Nicolae, C., R. M. Osgood, Jr., S. Zhang, and S. R. T. Brueck, "Zero average refractive index band gap in PC superlattices," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 506-512, 2006.
24. Jiang, H., H. Chen, and S. Zhu, "Localized gap-edge fields of one dimensional PC with an ε negative and a μ negative defect," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 79, 0466601-8, 2006.
25. Nanda, L., A. Basu, and S. A. Ramakrishna, "Delay times and detector times for optical pulses traveling plasma and negative refractive media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 74, 036601-7, 2006.
26. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988.
27. Dowling, J. P. and C. M. Bowden, "Anomalous index of refraction in photonic bandgap materials," J. Mod Optics, Vol. 41, 345-352, 1994.
28. Sakoda, K., "Optical Properties of Photonic Crystal," Springer Verlag Press, 2001.
29. Jeong, D. Y., Y. H. Ye, and Q. M. Zhang, "Effective optical properties associated with wave propagation in photonic crystal of finite length along the propagation direction," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 92, 4194-4206, 2002.