Feature extraction is a challenging problem in radar target identification. In this paper we attempt to exploit the sparse property of the scattering signature with a undercomplete dictionary for target identification, and establish a feature extraction scheme based on the undercomplete dictionary. Furthermore, as an application, we present a feature vector, named as the atom dictionary feature, which is extracted from the scattering signatures over a wide-angle sector. Numerical simulation results show that the proposed atom dictionary feature can improve the performance of radar target identification due to the exploitation of the sparse property of the scattering signature.
2. Lee, J. H. and H. T. Kim, "Radar target discrimination using transient response reconstruction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 5, 655-669, 2005.
3. Lee , J. H. and H. T. Kim, "Hybrid method for natural frequency extraction: Performance improvement using Newton-Raphson method ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 8, 1043-1055, 2005.
4. Wang, S., X. Guan, X. Ma, D. Wang, and Y. Su, "Calculating the poles of complex radar targets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2065-2076, 2006.
5. Turhan-Sayan, G., "Real time electromagnetic target classification using a novel feature extraction technique with PCA-based fusion," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 766-776, Feb. 2005.
6. Dudley, D. G., P. A. Nielsen, and D. F. Marshall, "Ultrawideband electromagnetic target identification," Ultra-wideband, Short-pulse Electromagnetics, 457-474, Plenum, New York, 1993.
7. Kim, K.-T., D.-K. Seo, and H.-T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using the MUSIC algorithm and invariant features ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 325-337, Mar. 2002.
8. Choi, I.-S., D.-K. Seo, J.-K. Bang, H.-T. Kim, and E. J. Rothwell, "Radar target recognition using one-dimensional evolutionary programming-based CLEAN," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 763-784, 2003.
9. Lee, C. P., D.-M. Chiang, and R. Carriere, "A GTD-based parametric model for radar scattering," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 10, 1055-1066, October 1995.
10. McClure, M. R. and L. Carin, "Matching pursuits with a wavebased dictionary," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, 2912-2927, December 1997.
11. Li, H. J. and S. H. Yang, "Using range profiles as feature vectors to identify aerospace targets," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, 261-268, Mar. 1993.
12. Li, H. J. and V. Chiou, "Aerospace target identification-Comparison between the matching score approach and the neural network approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 6, 873-893, 1993.
13. Choi, I.-S., J.-H. Lee, and H.-T. Kim, "Efficient reduction of data storage for correlative target recognition using impulse radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 6, 745-753, 2001.
14. Seo, D.-K., K.-T. Kim, I.-S. Choi, and H.-T. Kim, "Wide angle radar target recognition using subclass concept ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 231-248, 2004.
15. Du, L., H. W. Liu, Z. Bao, and M. D. Xing, "Radar HRRP target recognition based on higher order spectra," IEEE Trans. Signal Process, Vol. 53, 2359-2368, July 2005.
16. Lee, K. C. and J. S. Ou, "Radar target recognition by using linear discriminant algorithm on angular-diversity RCS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2033-2048, 2007.
17. Jung, J. H., H. T. Kim, and K. T. Kim, "Comparisons of four feature extraction approaches based on Fisher's linear discriminant criterion in radar target recognition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 251-265, 2007.
18. Lee, K.-C., C.-W. Huang, and M.-C. Fang, "Radar target recognition by projected features of frequency-diversity RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 121-133, 2008.
19. Champeney, D. C., A Handbook of Fourier Theorems, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1987.
20. Mallat, S., "A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition: The wavelet decomposition," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 11, 674-693, July 1989.
21. Mallat, S. and Z. Zhang, "Matching pursuits with time-frequency dictionaries," IEEE Trans. On Signal Processing, Vol. 41, 3397-3415, Dec. 1993.
22. Engan, K. S. O. Aase and J. H. Husoy, "Method of optical directions for frame design," Proc. ICASSP, 2443-2446, Phoenix, AZ, 1999.
23. Wang, D., X. Ma, and Y. Su, "Radar target identification using a likelihood ratio test and matching pursuit technique," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 153, 509-515, Dec. 2006.