This paper presents a modification for Bluetooth frame structure to improve its performance over both Additive White Gaussian Noise (AWGN) and fading channels. The paper investigates the effect of using different block codes on the performance of the Bluetooth system. Both Hamming and BCH codes with different lengths are studied as error control codes for the Bluetooth frame. Experimental results reveal that shorter Hamming codes have a better performance in AWGN channels. Also, the BCH (15, 7) code has a better performance for interleaved channels. All this work is devoted to Bluetooth 1.1 version.
2. Specification of Bluetooth System , Vol. 2, version 1.1, February 22, 2001.
3. Bluetooth Special Interest Group Specifications of the Bluetooth System, Version 1.1, January 2001.
4. Gehrmann, C., J. Persson, and B. Smeets, Bluetooth Security, Artech House, 2004.
5. IEEE 802.11, the working group setting the standards for wireless lens , http:// grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/11.
6. Lathi, B. P., Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems, 2nd Ed., Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1989.
7. Galli, S., D. Famolari, and T. Kodama, "Bluetooth: Channel coding considerations," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, May 17-19, 2004.
8. Conti, A., D. Dardari, G. Paolini, and O. Andrisano, "Bluetooth and IEE 802.11b coexistence: Analytical performance evaluation in fading channels," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 2, Feb. 2003.
9. Golmie, N., R. E. van Dck, and A. Soltanian, "Interference of Bluetooth and IEEE 802.11: Simulation modeling and performance evaluation ," Proceedings ACM Int. Workshop on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems , Rome, Italy, July 2001.
10. Haartsen, J. C. and S. Zurbes, "Bluetooth voice and data performance in 802.11 DS WLAN environments," Ericsson Report, May 1999.
11. Howitt, I., "WLAN and WPAN coexistence in UL band," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 50, No. 4, July 2001.
12. Wicker, S. B., Error Control Systems for Digital Communication and Storage Upper Saddle River, Prentice-Hall, NJ, 1995.
13. Ozarow, L., S. Shamai, and A. D. Wyner, "Information theoretic considerations for cellar mobile radio," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 43, 359-378, May 1994.