A new uniplanar electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) power/ground planes is proposed with broadband suppression of simultaneously switching noise (SSN) from 370MHz to 4.9 GHz. Meander line bridge is used to increase the inductance between the two neighboring units, which can make the proposed power/ground structure suppress the SSN at low frequencies effectively. Excellent SSN suppression performance is validated both numerically and experimentally. Good agreement is seen. The proposed uniplanar EBG power/ground planes structure can be widely used in high speed integrated circuits.
2. Smith, L. D., "Simultaneous switching noise and power plane bounce for CMOS technology," Proc. IEEE 8th Top. Meet. Electr. Perform. Electron. Packag. , 163-166, San Deigo, CA, Oct. 1999.
3. Wu, T.-L., Y.-H. Lin, and S.-T. Chen, "A novel power planes with low radiation and broadband suppression of ground bounce noise using photonic bandgap structures ," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 7, 337-339, July 2004.
4. Wu, T.-L., C.-C.Wang, Y.-H. Lin, T.-K. Wang, and G. Chang, "A novel power plane with super-wideband elimination of ground bounce noise on high speed circuits," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 3, 174-176, Mar. 2005.
5. Chang, C. C., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Analysis and applications of uniplanar compact photonic bandgap structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 211-235, 2003.
6. Simovski, C. R., "High-impedance surfaces based on self-resonant grids, analytical modeling and numerical simulations ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 239-256, 2003.
7. Ziolkowski, R. W., "FDTD simulations of reconfigurable electromagnetic bandgap structures for millimeter wave applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 159-183, 2003.
8. Yuan, H.-W., S.-X. Gong, X. Wang, and W.-T. Wang, "Scattering analysis of a printed dipole antenna using PBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 189-195, 2008.