Metamaterial absorbers are widely used in sensing, cloaking, imaging, etc. Currently, most metamaterial absorbers are integrated with hard substrates, which limit their applications for non-planar and irregularsurfaces. In this paper, a flexible, foldable metamaterial absorber is proposed using a matrix-assisted catalytic printing method. The absorber is composed of periodically patterned eight-round sector copper arrays supported by a polyethylene terephthalate substrate. Experimental results show that the absorber exhibits one absorption peak near 10.2 GHz.
2. Shamonina, E. and L. Solymar, "Metamaterials: How the subject started," Metamaterials, Vol. 1, 12-18, 2007.
3. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
4. Gao, X., W. L. Yang, H. Ma, Q. Cheng, X. Yu, and T. Cui, "A reconfigurable broadband polarization converter based on an active metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 11, 6086-6095, 2018.
5. Tian, X., P. Lee, Y. Tan, T. Wu, H. Yao, M. Zhang, and J. Ho, "Wireless body sensor networks based on metamaterial textiles," Nature Electronics, Vol. 2, No. 6, 243-251, 2019.
6. Cai, T., S. Tang, B. Zheng, G. Wang, W. Ji, C. Qian, and H. Chen, "Ultrawideband chromatic aberration-free meta-mirrors," Advanced Photonics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 016001, 2020.
7. Beruete, M. and I. Jáuregui-López, "Terahertz sensing based on metasurfaces," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1900721, 2020.
8. Lu, H., B. Zheng, C. Qian, Z. Wang, Y. Yang, and H. Chen, "Frequency-controlled focusing using achromatic metasurface," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2001311, 2021.
9. Zhang, J., X. Wei, I. D. Rukhlenko, H. T. Chen, and W. Zhu, "Electrically tunable metasurface with independent frequency and amplitude modulations," ACS Photonics, Vol. 7, No. 1, 265-271, 2019.
10. Tan, Q., B. Zheng, T. Cai, C. Qian, R. Zhu, X. Li, and H. Chen, "Broadband spin-locked metasurface retroreflector," Advanced Science, 2201397, 2022.
11. Yao, H., H. Mei, W. Zhang, S. Zhong, and X. Wang, "Theoretical and experimental research on terahertz metamaterial sensor with exible substrate," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1-9, 2021.
12. Huang, M., B. Zheng, T. Cai, X. Li, J. Liu, C. Qian, and H. Chen, "Machine-learning-enabled metasurface for direction of arrival estimation," Nanophotonics, Vol. 11, No. 9, 2001-2010, 2022.
13. He, Q., S. Sun, S. Xiao, and L. Zhou, "High-efficiency metasurfaces: Principles, realizations, and applications," Advanced Optical Materials, Vol. 6, 1800415, 2018.
14. Ding, F., A. Pors, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, "Gradient metasurfaces: A review of fundamentals and applications," Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 81, 026401, 2018.
15. Di Renzo, M., A. Zappone, M. Debbah, M. S. Alouini, C. Yuen, J. De Rosny, and S. Tretyakov, "Smart radio environments empowered by reconfigurable intelligent surfaces: How it works, state of research, and the road ahead," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2450-2525, 2020.
16. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, 207402, 2008.
17. Tao, H., N. I. Landy, C. M. Bingham, X. Zhang, R. D. Averitt, and W. J. Padilla, "A metamaterial absorber for the terahertz regime: Design, fabrication and characterization," Optics Express, Vol. 16, 7181-7188, 2008.
18. Sun, P., C. You, A. Mahigir, T. Liu, F. Xia, W. Kong, and M. Yun, "Graphene-based dual-band independently tunable infrared absorber," Nanoscale, Vol. 10, No. 33, 15564-15570, 2018.
19. Zhao, X., Y. Wang, J. Schalch, G. Duan, K. Cremin, and J. Zhang, "Optically modulated ultra-broadband all-silicon metamaterial terahertz absorbers," ACS Photonics, Vol. 6, No. 4, 830-837, 2019.
20. Zou, H. and Y. Cheng, "Design of a six-band terahertz metamaterial absorber for temperature sensing application," Optical Materials, Vol. 88, 674-679, 2019.
21. Xiong, H., Q. T. Ji, Bashir, and F. Yang, "Dual-controlled broadband terahertz absorber based on graphene and dirac semimetal," Optics Express, Vol. 28, No. 9, 13884-13894, 2020.
22. Verma, V. K., S. K. Mishra, K. K. Kaushal, N. Gupta, and B. Appasani, "An octaband polarization insensitive terahertz metamaterial absorber using orthogonal elliptical ring resonators," Plasmonics, Vol. 15, No. 1, 75-81, 2020.
23. Lin, K. T., H. Lin, T. Yang, and B. Jia, "Structured graphene metamaterial selective absorbers for high efficiency and omnidirectional solar thermal energy conversion," Nature Communications, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1389, 2020.
24. Qi, L. and C. Liu, "Broadband multilayer graphene metamaterial absorbers," Optical Materials Express, Vol. 9, No. 3, 1298-1309, 2019.
25. Feng, H., Z. Xu, L. I. Kai, M. Wang, and M. Yun, "Tunable polarization-independent and angle-insensitive broadband terahertz absorber with graphene metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 29, No. 5, 7158-7167, 2021.
26. Yao, Y., Z. Liao, Z. Liu, X. Liu, J. Zhou, G. Liu, and J. Wang, "Recent progresses on metamaterials for optical absorption and sensing: A review," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 54, No. 11, 113002, 2021.
27. Guo, R., Y. Yu, Z. Xie, X. Liu, X. Zhou, and Y. Gao, "Matrix-assisted catalytic printing for the fabrication of multiscale, flexible, foldable, and stretchable metal conductors," Advanced Materials, Vol. 25, No. 24, 3343-3350, 2013.
28. Azzaroni, O., Z. Zheng, Z. Yang, and W. Huck, "Polyelectrolyte brushes as efficient ultrathin platforms for site-selective copper electroless deposition," Langmuir the Acs Journal of Surfaces & Colloids, Vol. 22, No. 16, 6730-6733, 2006.
29. Liu, X., H. Chang, Y. Li, W. T. Huck, and Z. Zheng, "Polyelectrolyte-bridged metal/cotton hierarchical structures for highly durable conductive yarns," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Vol. 2, No. 2, 529-535, 2010.
30. Wang, X., H. Hu, Y. Shen, X. Zhou, and Z. Zheng, "Stretchable conductors with ultrahigh tensile strain and stable metallic conductance enabled by prestrained polyelectrolyte nanoplatforms," Advanced Materials, Vol. 23, No. 27, 3090-3094, 2011.