A Metamaterial Terahertz perfect absorber is proposed in this letter. The structure comprises Vanadium oxide (VO2) resonator hexagonal rings placed on top of a silicon dioxide (SiO2) substrate in a concentric pattern on a metal ground layer, with 1 THz and 6 THz operating frequency. Numerical studies are done by an electromagnetic solver. The results show almost perfect absorption, with 112% average absorption at different incident polarization angles, in the range of 1.64 to 6.1 THz. The optimization is carried out on physical dimensions for maximum absorption results. The proposed design can be used as a highly efficient absorber in applications like solar energy harvesting, cloaking, sensing, imaging technology, and EMC projects.
2. Siegel, P. H., "Terahertz technology in biology and medicine," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2438-2447, 2004.
3. Jansen, C., S. Wietzke, O. Peters, M. Scheller, N. Vieweg, M. Salhi, N. Krumbholz, C. Jördens, T. Hochrein, and M. Koch, "Terahertz imaging: Applications and perspectives," Applied Optics, Vol. 49, No. 19, E48-E57, 2010.
4. Wanke, M. C., E. W. Young, C. D. Nordquist, M. J. Cich, A. D. Grine, C. T. Fuller, J. L. Reno, and M. Lee, "Monolithically integrated solid-state terahertz transceivers," Nature Photonics, Vol. 4, No. 8, 565-569, 2010.
5. Chen, T., D. Liang, and W. Jiang, "A tunable terahertz graphene metamaterial sensor based on dual polarized plasmon-induced transparency," IEEE Sensors Journal, 2022.
6. Cen, W., T. Lang, Z. Hong, J. Liu, M. Xiao, J. Zhang, and Z. Yu, "Ultrasensitive flexible terahertz plasmonic metasurface sensor based on bound states in the continuum," IEEE Sensors Journal, 2022.
7. Shan, Y., L. Chen, C. Shi, Z. Cheng, X. Zang, B. Xu, and Y. Zhu, "Ultrathin flexible dual band terahertz absorber," Optics Communications, Vol. 350, 63-70, 2015, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030401815002734.
8. Al-Badri, K. S. L., Y. I. Abdulkarim, F. Özkan Alkurt, and M. Karaaslan, "Simulated and experimental verification of the microwave dual-band metamaterial perfect absorber based on square patch with a 450 diagonal slot structure," Journal of Electro- magnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 35, No. 11, 1541-1552, 2021, [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1080/09205071.2021.1905560.
9. Abdulkarim, Y. I., F. F. Muhammadsharif, M. Bakr, H. N. Awl, M. Karaaslan, L. Deng, and S. Huang, "Hypersensitized metamaterials based on a corona-shaped resonator for efficient detection of glucose," Applied Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2021, [Online]. Available: https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/11/1/103.
10. Abdulkarim, Y. I., L.-W. Deng, J.-L. Yang, Ş. Colak, M. Karaaslan, S.-X. Huang, L.-H. He, and H. Luo, "Tunable left-hand characteristics in multi-nested square-split-ring enabled metamaterials," Journal of Central South University, Vol. 27, No. 4, 1235-1246, Apr. 2020, [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-020-4363-5.
11. Xu, Z. and Z. Song, "VO2-based switchable metasurface with broadband photonic spin hall effect and absorption," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, 1-5, 2021.
12. Ren, Y. and B. Tang, "Switchable multi-functional VO2-integrated metamaterial devices in the terahertz region," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 39, No. 18, 5864-5868, 2021.
13. Zhang, Y., P. Wu, Z. Zhou, X. Chen, Z. Yi, J. Zhu, T. Zhang, and H. Jile, "Study on temperature adjustable terahertz metamaterial absorber based on vanadium dioxide," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 85154-85161, 2020.
14. Liu, M., H. Y. Hwang, H. Tao, A. C. Strikwerda, K. Fan, G. R. Keiser, A. J. Sternbach, K. G.West, S. Kittiwatanakul, J. Lu, S. A. Wolf, F. G. Omenetto, X. Zhang, K. A. Nelson, and R. D. Averitt, "Terahertz-field-induced insulator-to-metal transition in vanadium dioxide metamaterial," Nature, Vol. 487, No. 7407, 345-348, Jul. 2012, [Online]. Available: https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11231.
15. Song, Z., K.Wang, J. Li, and Q. H. Liu, "Broadband tunable terahertz absorber based on vanadium dioxide metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 26, No. 6, 7148-7154, Mar. 2018, [Online]. Available: http://opg.optica.org/oe/abstract.cfm?URI=oe-26-6-7148.
16. Wang, S., C. Cai, M. You, F. Liu, M. Wu, S. Li, H. Bao, L. Kang, and D. H. Werner, "Vanadium dioxide based broadband THz metamaterial absorbers with high tunability: Simulation study," Opt. Express, Vol. 27, No. 14, 19436-19447, Jul. 2019, [Online]. Available: http://opg.optica.org/oe/abstract.cfm?URI=oe-27-14-19436.
17. Song, Z., M. Wei, Z. Wang, G. Cai, Y. Liu, and Y. Zhou, "Terahertz absorber with reconfigurable bandwidth based on isotropic vanadium dioxide metasurfaces," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2, 1-7, 2019.
18. Bai, J., S. Zhang, F. Fan, S. Wang, X. Sun, Y. Miao, and S. Chang, "Tunable broadband THz absorber using vanadium dioxide metamaterials," Optics Communications, Vol. 452, 292-295, 2019, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030401819306492.
19. Dao, R.-N., X.-R. Kong, H.-F. Zhang, and X.-R. Su, "A tunable broadband terahertz metamaterial absorber based on the vanadium dioxide," Optik, Vol. 180, 619-625, 2019, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030402618319284.
20. Song, Z., M. Jiang, Y. Deng, and A. Chen, "Wide-angle absorber with tunable intensity and band-width realized by a terahertz phase change material," Optics Communications, Vol. 464, 125494, 2020, [Online]. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0030401820301346.
21. Huang, J., J. Li, Y. Yang, J. Li, J. li, Y. Zhang, and J. Yao, "Active controllable dual broadband terahertz absorber based on hybrid metamaterials with vanadium dioxide," Opt. Express, Vol. 28, No. 5, 7018-7027, Mar. 2020. [Online]. Available: http://opg.optica.org/oe/abstract.cfm?URI=oe-28-5-7018.