A filtering dielectric resonator antenna (FDRA) using an inductive CPW (coplanar waveguide) feed structure is proposed. Simultaneously, a pair of slotline stubs are respectively loaded on the signal line and ground of the CPW feed structure, which is used to generate radiation nulls near the edges of the passband. Furthermore, the two radiation nulls can be controlled independently by adjusting the length of the loaded two pairs of slotline stubs. In addition, it is interesting that TE111 mode is split due to the different loading effects of slotline stubs in feed network, thereby three resonances in the passband are formed. Finally, an FDRA with quasi-elliptic function response is realized without additional filtering circuit. The prototype of the FDRA operating at 3.53 GHz was fabricated and measured to verify the design validity. The measured results show that the impedance bandwidth is 13.6% (3.29-3.77 GHz); the gain is basically stable at 5.7 dBi wihtin the passband; and the two radiation nulls are located at 3.05 GHz and 3.88 GHz, respectively.
2. Shome, P. P., T. Khan, and S. K. Koul, "Filtenna designs for radio-frequency front-end systems: A structural-oriented review," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 63, No. 5, 72-84, Oct. 2021.
3. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, and Y. M. Mantar, "Recent advances in dielectric-resonator antenna technology," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 3, 35-48, Jun. 1998.
4. Petosa, A. and A. Ittipiboon, "Dielectric resonator antennas: A historical review and the current state of the art," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 5, 91-116, Oct. 2010.
5. Hu, P. F., Y. M. Pan, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband filtering dielectric resonator antenna with wide stopband," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2079-2084, Apr. 2017.
6. Sahoo, A. K., R. D. Gupta, and M. S. Parihar, "Circularly polarised filtering dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 9, 1514-1518, 2018.
7. Ballav, S., G. A. Sarkar, and S. K. Parui, "High-selective filtering dielectric resonator antenna by integrating band-rejection resonators in Feedline," Sādhanā, Vol. 46, No. 2, 1-8, Feb. 2021.
8. Tang, H., C. Tong, and J. X. Chen, "Differential dual-polarized filtering dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 8, 4298-4302, Aug. 2018.
9. Hu, P. F., Y. M. Pan, and X. Y. Zhang, "A compact filtering dielectric resonator antenna with wide bandwidth and high gain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3645-3651, Aug. 2016.
10. Gao, Y., Y. C. Jiao, and Z. B. Weng, "A filtering dielectric resonator antenna with high band-edge selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 63-71, 2020.
11. Liu, Y. T., K. W. Leung, and J. Ren, "Linearly and circularly polarized filtering dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 6, 3629-3640, Jun. 2019.
12. Hu, P. F., Y. M. Pan, and K. W. Leung, "Wide-/dual-band omnidirectional filtering dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 5, 2622-2627, May 2018.
13. Wang, C. Y., Z. W. Han, and H. W. Liu, "A novel single-feed filtering dielectric resonator antenna using slotline stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 11, 3426-3430, Nov. 2021.
14. Pan, Y. M., P. F. Hu, and K. W. Leung, "Compact single-/dual-polarized filtering dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4474-4484, Sept. 2018.
15. Kumar, P., S. Dwari, and S. Singh, "Conductor backed CPW-fed dual-mode excited high gain cylindrical cavity DRA for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or drone data-link applications at C band," IETE Technical Review, Vol. 36, No. 5, 463-474, Sept. 2019.
16. Ghosh, B., Y. M. M. Antar, and A. Petosa, "CPW feed to rectangular DRA," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 3, 210-216, May 2005.
17. Ballav, S. and S. K. Parui, "A wideband dielectric resonator antenna array using air-bridgeless coplanar waveguide power divider," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 9, e21858, May 2019.
18. Messaoudene, I., T. A. Denidni, and A. Benghalia, "A hybrid integrated ultra-wideband/dual- band antenna with high isolation," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 341-346, Mar. 2016.
19. Masood, R. and S. A. Mohsin, "Optimization of the S-parameter response of a coplanar waveguide series short stub for broadband applications," IEEE International Conference on Communications and Electronics, 384-388, Dec. 2010.
20. Dib, N. I., L. P. B. Katehi, and G. E. Ponchak, "Theoretical and experimental characterization of coplanar waveguide discontinuities for filter applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 5, 873-882, May 1991.
21. Al Salameh, M. S., Y. M. M. Antar, and G. Seguin, "Coplanar-waveguide-fed slot-coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, 1415-1419, Oct. 2002.
22. Ballav, S., G. A. Sarkar, and S. K. Parui, "High-selective filtering dielectric resonator antenna by integrating band-rejection resonators in feedline," Sādhanā, Vol. 46, No. 2, 1-8, Apr. 2021.