In this work, a substrate integrated waveguide slot array filtering antenna for dual band applications is presented. This novel design performs the functions of both a filter and an antenna simultaneously. The main intention of this work is to design a circuit that separates the frequencies in a dual band operation. The antenna is designed as an integration of two parts; the upper part operates at 10.2 GHz while the lower part operates at 16.4 GHz. In each part, an array of five longitudinal slots is incorporated, as well as a SIW antenna with complementary split ring resonators that operate as a band pass filter at the front end. Each slot array antenna is designed for a specific frequency band, and its function depends upon its preceding band pass filter. The two band pass filters allow only signals from the frequency bands for which they are designed, to their corresponding slot array antennas. This technique, along with properly spaced metal vias of the SIW antenna, prevents any leakage and hence reduces interference in dual band operation. Both the band pass filter and the antenna can be built on the same planar board. The antenna is fed through a microstrip to SIW taper transition. CST Microwave Studio software is used for optimization and simulation of the structure. The antenna was built on an RT Duroid 5880 and tested to investigate practical validation. The antenna has a bandwidth of 1.9 GHz, from 9.2 GHz to 11.1 GHz in the X-band, and 2.2 GHz, from 15.6 GHz to 16.9 GHz in the Ku band. The gain pattern is unidirectional in nature and has low side lobe levels of -24 dB and -21 dB at resonant frequencies. A noticeable difference that is greater than 20 dB between co-polarization and cross-polarization is observed. The dimensions of the antenna are 56 mm x 32 mm x 0.508 mm. There is an excellent similarity between the simulated and measured results.
2. Liang, G.-Z., F.-C. Chen, H. Yuan, K.-R. Xiang, and Q.-X. Chu, "A high selectivity and high efficiency filtering antenna with controllable radiation nulls based on stacked patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 70, No. 1, 708-713, 2022.
3. Zhang, Y.-M., S. Zhang, G. Yang, and G. F. Pedersen, "A wideband filtering antenna array with harmonic suppression," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 10, 4327-4339, 2020.
4. Dng, C. F., Z. Y. Zhang, and M. Yu, "Simple dual-polarized filtering antenna with enhanced bandwidth for base station applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 6, 4354-4361, 2020.
5. Yang, S. J., Y. M. Pan, L.-Y. Shi, and Z. Y. Zhang, "Millimeter-wave dual-polarized filtering antenna for 5G applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5114-5121, 2020.
6. Wang, H.-Y., G. Zhao, R.-Y. Li, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A low-profile half-mode substrate integrated waveguide filtering antenna with high frequency selectivity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 99, 35-43, 2021.
7. Xie, H. Y., B. Wu, Y.-L. Wang, C. Fan, J.-Z. Chen, and T. Su, "Wideband SIW filtering antenna with controllable radiation nulls using dual-mode cavities," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1799-1803, 2021.
8. Hua, C., X. Jin, and M. Liu, "Design of compact vertically stacked SIW end-fire filtering antennas with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 87, 67-73, 2019.
9. Altaf, A., W. Abbas, and M. Seo, "A wideband SIW-based slot antenna for D-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1868-1872, 2021.
10. Diman, A. A., et al., "Efficient SIW-feed network suppressing mutual coupling of slot antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 69, No. 9, 6058-6063, 2021.
11. Zheng, D., Y.-L. Lyu, and K. Wu, "Longitudinally slotted SIW leaky-wave antenna for low cross-polarization millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 2, 656-664, 2020.
12. El Misilmani, H. M., M. Al-Husseini, and K. Y. Kabalan, "Design of slotted waveguide antennas with low sidelobes for high power microwave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 15-28, 2015.
13. Kachhia, J., A. Patel, A. Vala, R. Patel, and K. Mahant, "Logarithmic slots antennas using substrate integrated waveguide," International Journal of Microwave Science and Technology, Vol. 2015, 1-11, 2015.
14. Farrall, A. J. and P. R. Young, "Integrated waveguide slot antennas," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, 974-975, 2004.
15. Zamzam, K. and J. Bornemann, "New wideband transition from microstrip line to substrate integrated wave guide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 62, No. 12, 2983-2989, 2014.
16. Fu, W., Z. Li, P. Liu, J. Cheng, and X. Qiu, "Modeling and analysis of novel CSRRs-loaded dual-band band pass SIW filters," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 68, No. 7, 2352-2356, 2021.
17. Soundarya, G. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact dual-band SIW band pass filter using CSRR and DGS structure resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 101, 79-87, 2021.
18. Rayala, R. K. and S. Raghavan, "Articial neural network based SIW band pass filter design using complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 115, 277-289, 2021.