Although the design of multiband band-pass filters (MBPFs) has been thoroughly studied in the literature, the synthesis of high-order and multiple pass-band filters with controllable transmission zeros (TZs) and high band-to-band isolation is hardly feasible. In this paper, we present a novel design strategy to cope with this issue. Adopting a star-like topology, the proposed design method is based on the parallel association of N-1 band-stop stepped-impedance stubs to form an N pass-bands resonator. We show that such a simple design principle allows the accurate control of TZs positions. The principle and theory of these associated band-stop resonators (ABSRs) based filter are exposed, and their efficiency is shown through the synthesis, design, simulation, and measurement of quad-band and quint-band band-pass filters. Very good in-band filter performance and very high band-to-band isolation are achieved for both filters without the need for complex optimization process. These results make the ABSRs an attractive solution to achieve multiple band responses with advanced specifications.
2. Weng, M.-H., S.-K. Liu, H.-W. Wu, and C.-H. Hung, "A dual-band bandpass filter having wide and narrow bands simultaneously using multilayered stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 139-147, 2010.
3. Lv, D.-D., L. Meng, and Z. Zou, "Miniaturized HMSIW dual-band filter based on CSRRs and microstrip open-stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 97-102, 2018.
4. Xu, J., W. Wu, and C. Miao, "Compact microstrip dual-/tri-/quad-band bandpass filter using open stubs loaded shorted stepped-impedance resonator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 61, 3187-3199, 2013.
5. Wu, H.-W. and R.-Y. Yang, "A new quad-band bandpass filter using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 4, 203-205, Apr. 2011.
6. Zhang, Y., L. Gao, and X. Y. Zhang, "Compact quad-band bandpass filter for DCS/WLAN/WiMAX/5G Wi-Fi application," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 10, 645-647, May 2015.
7. Chen, C., "Design of a compact microstrip quint-band filter based on the tri-mode stub-loaded stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 7, 357-359, Jul. 2012.
8. Wu, Y., L. Cui, Z. Zhuang, W. Wang, and Y. Liu, "A simple planar dual-band bandpass filter with multiple transmission poles and zeros," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II: Exp. Briefs, Vol. 65, 56-60, 2018.
9. Wu, Y., E. Fourn, P. Besnier, and C. Quendo, "Direct synthesis of multiband bandpass filters with generalized frequency transformation methods," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 69, 3820-3831, 2021.
10. Quendo, C., et al., "Planar tri-band filter based on dual behavior resonator," Proc. Eur. Microw. Conf., 269-272, Oct. 2005.
11. Garcia, R. G., R. L. Sanchez, D. Psychogiou, and D. Peroulis, "Multi-stub-loaded differential mode planar multiband bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems - II: Express Briefs, Vol. 65, No. 3, 271-275, 2018.
12. Hsu, K. W., J. H. Lin, and W. H. Tu, "Compact sext-band bandpass filter with sharp rejection response," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, 593-595, 2014.