Implementation of a broadband Ruthroff-type transmission line transformer balun with a 1:2 step-up impedance transformation ratio is presented in this letter. The proposed Transmission Line Transformer (TLT) balun was investigated with broadside-coupled lines using three stacked microstrip lines. The proposed balun was formed by cascading one section of modified Ruthroff-type 2:1 unbalanced-to-unbalanced TLT with one section of Ruthroff-type 1:4 TLT balun in series. The achieved fractional bandwidth of the balun is 192.17% over the frequency range from 1.2 to 6.6 GHz, which covers the IEEE 802.11 a/b/g WLAN, WiMAX applications. The measured amplitude and phase imbalances are less than 1 dB and less than 4.51˚, respectively at this frequency range.
2. Wu, Y.-C., Y.-J. Hwang, C.-C. Chiong, B.-Z. Lu, and H. Wang, "An innovative joint-injection mixer with broadband IF and RF for advanced heterodyne receivers of millimeter-wave astronomy," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 68, No. 12, 5408-5422, 2020.
3. Lee, S., J. Park, and S. Hong, "Antenna switch embedded in transmission line transformers of differential PA and LNA," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 284-287, 2020.
4. Yang, Y., Y. Wu, Z. Zhuang, M. Kong, W. Wang, and C. Wang, "An ultraminiaturized bandpass filtering Marchand balun chip with spiral coupled lines based on GaAs integrated passive device technology," Journal Title Abbreviation, Vol. 48, No. 9, 3067-3075, 2020.
5. Yang, G., R. Chen, and K. Wang, "A CMOS balun with common ground and artificial dielectric compensation achieving 79.5% fractional bandwidth and < 2◦ phase imbalance," 2020 IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1319-1322, 2020.
6. Guanella, G., "New method of impedance matching in radio-frequency circuits," The Brown Boveri Review, Vol. 31, 125-127, 1944.
7. Ruthroff, C. L., "Some broad-band transformers," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 47, No. 8, 1337-1342, 1959.
8. Mack, R. A. and J. Sevick, Sevick's Transmission Line Transformers: Theory and Practice, IET, 2014.
9. Rotholz, E., "Transmission-line transformers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 29, No. 4, 327-331, 1981.
10. Chung, H.-Y., H.-K. Chiou, Y.-C. Hsu, T.-Y. Yang, and C.-L. Chang, "Design of step-down broadband and low-loss Ruthroff-type baluns using IPD technology," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 4, No. 6, 967-974, 2014.
11. Chiou, H.-K. and H.-Y. Chung, "2.5-7 GHz single balanced mixer with integrated Ruthroff-type balun in 0.18 μm CMOS technology," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 474-475, 2013.
12. Gomez-Jimenez, P., P. Otero, and E. Marquez-Segura, "Analysis and design procedure of transmission-line transformers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 1, 163-171, 2008.
13. Grebennikov, A., "Power combiners, impedance transformers and directional couplers," High Frequency Electronics, Vol. 6, No. 12, 20-38, 2007.
14. Trask, C., "Transmission line transformers: Theory design and applications," High Frequency Electronics, Vol. 4, 46-53, 2005.
15. Burasa, P., T. Djerafi, N. G. Constantin, K. Wu, and , "On-chip dual-band rectangular slot antenna for single-chip millimeter-wave identification tag in standard CMOS technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 8, 3858-3868, 2017.
16. Sobrany, R. F. and I. D. Robertson, "Ruthroff transmission line transformers using multilayer technology," 33rd European Microwave Conference Proceedings (IEEE Cat. No. 03EX723C), Vol. 2, 559-562, 2003.
17. Sahan, N., M. E. Inal, S. Demir, and C. Toker, "High-power 20-100-MHz linear and efficient power-amplifier design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2032-2039, 2008.
18. Liu, S.-P., "Planar transmission line transformer using coupled microstrip lines," 1998 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (Cat. No. 98CH36192), Vol. 2, 789-792, 1998.
19. Huang, C.-H., T.-S. Horng, C.-C. Wang, C.-T. Chiu, and C.-P. Hung, "Optimum design of transformer-type Marchand balun using scalable integrated passive device technology," IEEE Trans. on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 2, No. 8, 1370-1377, 2011.
20. Liu, X., J. Zhou, Z. Deng, and X. Luo, "Compact wideband Marchand balun with amplitude and phase compensation shield," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 448-451, 2019.
21. Ahn, H.-R. and M. M. Tentzeris, "A novel compact isolation circuit suitable for ultracompact and wideband Marchand baluns," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 10, 2299-2303, 2019.
22. Wang, Y. and J.-C. Lee, "A miniaturized Marchand balun model with short-end and capacitive feeding," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 26653-26659, 2018.