A four-element multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna based on a modified Complementary Split Ring Resonator (MCSRR) is presented in this paper for dual-band 5G smartphone applications. An inverted L-shaped radiator is used with MCSRR as an open stub in the ground, where MCSRR is responsible for dual operating bands and enhances the impedance matching. The MCSRR as an open stub in the ground plane creates a notch band that minimizes the interference in 5G wireless communication. The four elements of the antenna are placed in such a way that minimum isolation between antenna elements is obtained, 16.5 dB, without any decoupling, whereas more than 20 dB isolation is achieved by using T-shaped decupling. The antenna achieves dual 10 dB bandwidths from 3.40 GHz to 3.625 GHz and from 3.90 GHz to 4.525 GHz. Envelop correlation coefficient (ECC) is extracted from far-field results to analyse the MIMO antenna performance in practical design consideration.
2. Hampton, J. R., Introduction to MIMO Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2013.
3. Biswas, A. and V. R. Gupta, "Design and development of low profile MIMO antenna for 5G new radio smartphone applications," Wirel. Pers. Commun., Vol. 111, No. 3, 1695-1706, 2020.
4. Huang, J., et al., "A quad-port dual-band MIMO antenna array for 5G smartphone applications," Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, 542-547, 2021.
5. Huang, J., G. Dong, Q. Cai, Z. Chen, L. Li, and G. Liu, "Dual-band MIMO antenna for 5G/WLAN mobile terminals," Micromachines, Vol. 12, No. 5, 489-495, 2021.
6. Wong, K.-L., Y.-H. Chen, and W.-Y. Li, "Decoupled compact ultra-wideband MIMO antennas covering 3300 ~ 6000MHz for the fifth-generation mobile and 5GHz-WLAN operations in the future smartphone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 10, 2345, 2018.
7. Chakraborty, S., et al., "A 4-element MIMO antenna with orthogonal circular polarization for sub-6 GHz 5G cellular applications," SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, 1, 2020.
8. Wong, K.-L., C.-C. Wan, and L.-Y. Chen, "Self-decoupled compact metal-frame LTE MIMO antennas for the smartphone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2018.
9. Ullah, R., S. Ullah, B. Kamal, and R. Ullah, "A four-port multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna for future 5G smartphone applications," 2019 International Conference on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE), 1-5, IEEE, 2019.
10. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372, 2011.
11. Kumar, A., "Compact 4 x 4 CPW-fed MIMO antenna with Wi-Fi and WLAN notch for UWB applications," Radio Electronics and Communications Systems, Vol. 64, No. 2, 92, 2021.
12. Elshirkasi, A. M., A. A. Al-Hadi, M. F. Mansor, R. Khan, and P. J. Soh, "Envelope correlation coefficient of a two-Port MIMO terminal antenna under uniform and Gaussian angular power spectrum with user's hand effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 123-136, 2019.