This paper presents a multifunctional metasurface based reflective polarization converter, to convert the polarization of incident electromagnetic wave in three adjacent frequency bands. In the first band linear to circular polarization conversion and in the remaining two bands linear to orthogonal polarization conversion is achieved. The designed metasurface consists of two circular split rings and a star-shaped split resonator which is fabricated on a metal-backed dielectric substrate. From the simulation results, it is evident that the orthogonal linear polarization conversion band is observed at 9.2 GHz and 12.8 GHz with a polarization conversion ratio of more than 92%. Similarly, it is identified that the same metasurface converts the incident linear polarized wave to circularly polarized wave at 7.3 GHz. Furthermore, the proposed metasurface maintains the handedness of the circularly polarized incident wave at 9.2 & 12.8 GHz frequency upon reflection. The proposed multifunctional polarization converter has a simple planar geometry and low profile which can be used in many applications, such as reflector antennas, imaging systems, remote sensors, and radiometers.
2. Alkurt, F. O., M. Karaaslan, M. Karaaslan, M. Furat, E. Unal, and O. Akgol, "Monopole antenna integrated cavity resonator for microwave imaging," Optical Engineering, Vol. 60, No. 1, 013106, 2021.
3. Nazeri, A., et al., "A reflection-only method for characterizing PEC-backed anisotropic materials using waveguide higher order modes," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 10, e.22340, 2020.
4. Mahmud, R. H., H. N. Awl, Y. I. Abdulkarim, M. Karaaslan, and M. J. Lancaster, "Filtering two-element waveguide antenna array based on solely resonators," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 121, 153232, 2020.
5. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "A perfect metamaterial absorber," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, No. 20, 1-6, 2008.
6. Ghosh, J. and D. Mitra, "Restoration of antenna performance in the vicinity of metallic cylinder in implantable scenario," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 12, 1440-1445, 2020.
7. Yang, D., H. Lin, and X. Huang, "Dual broadband metamaterial polarization converter in microwave regime," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 71-76, 2016.
8. Hao, J., Y. Yuan, L. Ran, T. Jiang, J. A. Kong, C. T. Chan, and L. Zhou, "Manipulating electromagnetic wave polarizations by anisotropic metamaterials," Physical Review Letters, 063908 –, 10, , Vol. 99, 1-4, 2007.
9. Meissner, T. and F. J. Wentz, "Polarization rotation and the third Stokes parameter: The effects of spacecraft attitude and Faraday rotation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 3, 506-515, 2006.
10. Baena, J. D., A. P. Slobozhanyuk, J. D. Ortiz, and P. A. Belov, "Linear to circular polarization converters based on self-complementary metasurfaces," IEEE 2014 8th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 43-45, Denmark, Europe, Aug.
11. Khan, M. I., Q. Fraz, and F. A. Tahir, "Ultra-wideband cross polarization conversion metasurface insensitive to incidence angle," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 121, No. 4, 045103, 2017.
12. Zhang, F., G. M. Yang, and Y. Q. Jin, "Microwave polarization converter with multilayer metasurface," IEEE 14th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, March 2020.
13. Khan, B., B. Kamal, S. Ullah, I. Khan, J. A. Shah, and J. Chen, "Design and experimental analysis of dual-band polarization converting metasurface for microwave applications," Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-13, 2020.
14. Xu, P., S. Y. Wang, and W. Geyi, "A linear polarization converter with near unity efficiency in microwave regime," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 121, No. 14, 144502, 2017.
15. Mei, Z. L., X. M. Ma, C. Lu, and Y. D. Zhao, "High-efficiency and wide-bandwidth linear polarization converter based on double U-shaped metasurface," AIP Advances, Vol. 7, No. 12, 125323, 2017.
16. Zhang, J., L. Yang, L. Li, T. Zhang, H. Li, Q. Wang, Y. Hao, M. Lei, and K. Bi, "High-efficiency polarization conversion phase gradient metasurface for wideband anomalous reflection," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 122, No. 1, 014501, 2017.
17. Gao, X., X. Han, W. P. Cao, H. O. Li, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrawideband and highefficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 8, 3522-3530, 2015.
18. Khan, B., S. Ullah, and B. Kamal, "An extended split ring resonator type metasurface for microwave applications," IEEE 2019 16th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST) , 1046-1049, Pakistan, Islamabad, Jan.
19. Lin, B., B. Wang, W. Meng, X. Da, W. Li, Y. Fang, and Z. Zhu, "Dual-band high-efficiency polarization converter using an anisotropic metasurface," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 119, No. 18, 183103, 2016.
20. Liu, D. Y., L. F. Yao, X. M. Zhai, M. H. Li, and J. F. Dong, "Diode-like asymmetric transmission of circularly polarized waves," Applied Physics A, Vol. 116, No. 1, 9-13, 2014.
21. Cheng, Y., J. Fan, H. Luo, and F. Chen, "Dual-band and high-efficiency circular polarization convertor based on anisotropic metamaterial," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 7615-7621, 2019.
22. Liu, X., J. Zhang, W. Li, R. Lu, L. Li, Z. Xu, and A. Zhang, "Three-band polarization converter based on reflective metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 924-927, 2016.
23. Khan, M. I., Z. Khalid, S. A. K. Tanoli, F. A. Tahir, and B. Hu, "Multiband linear and circular polarization converting anisotropic metasurface for wide incidence angles," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 53, No. 9, 095005, 2019.
24. Khan, M. I., Z. Khalid, and F. A. Tahir, "Linear and circular-polarization conversion in X-band using anisotropic metasurface," Scientific Reports, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1-11, 2019.
25. Zheng, Q., C. Guo, G. A. Vandenbosch, P. Yuan, and J. Ding, "Dual-broadband highly efficient reflective multi-polarisation converter based on multi-order plasmon resonant metasurface," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 9, 967-972, 2020.
26. Dutta, R., D. Mitra, and J. Ghosh, "Dual-band multifunctional metasurface for absorption and polarization conversion," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 7, 22200, 2020.
27. Noishiki, T., R. Kuse, and T. Fukusako, "Wideband metasurface polarization converter with double-square-shaped patch elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 105, 47-58, 2020.