We report a reduction in crosstalk between a transmitting antenna and an adjacent receiving antenna due to the use of radiation patterns with different orbital angular momentum (OAM). This crosstalk reduction is based on the orthogonality between different OAM modes. To generate OAM beams, patch array antennas are designed using High frequency simulation software (HFSS). The designed antennas are fabricated and characterized. An experiment is carried out to determine the amount of crosstalk reduction achieved due to the OAM nature of the signals transmitted. The variation of this crosstalk reduction with the distance between the transmitting and receiving antennas is also studied. The results obtained are verified through theoretical analysis using simulations in HFSS. A maximum theoretical crosstalk reduction of 3.6 dB has been obtained, and a crosstalk reduction of 2.6 dB has been realized experimentally. The results may benefit full-duplex communication links.
2. Yao, A. M. and M. J. Padgett, "Orbital angular momentum: Origins, behavior and applications," Adv. Opt. Photonics, Vol. 3, No. 2, 161-204, May 2011. Accessed on: Sep. 7, 2020.
3. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, A. Sponselli, B. Thide, A. Bianchini, and F. Romanato, "Encoding many channels on the same frequency through radio vorticity: First experimental test," New J. Phys., Vol. 14, No. 3, 3001-3018, Mar. 2012. Accessed on: Sep. 11, 2012.
4. Tamburini, F., E. Mari, G. Parisi, F. Spinello, M. Oldoni, R. A. Ravanelli, P. Coassini, C. G. Someda, B. Thide, and F. Romana, "Tripling the capacity of a point-to-point radio link by using electromagnetic vortices," Radio Sci., Vol. 50, No. 6, 501-508, Jun. 2015. Accessed on: Sep. 7, 2020.
5. Spinello, F., E. Mari, M. Oldoni, R. A. Ravanelli, C. G. Someda, F. Tamburini, F. Romanato, P. Coassini, and G. Parisi, "Experimental near field OAM-based communication with circular patch array," Optics, 1507.06889, Jul. 2015.
6. Ashrafi, S., "Full duplex using OAM,", Patent 20200044349, [Online]. Available: Justia: Patents: US Patent Application for FULL DUPLEX USING OAM Patent Application.
7. Zhang, Y. and J. Li, "Analyses and full-duplex applications of circularly polarized OAM arrays using sequentially rotated configuration," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation , Vol. 66, No. 12, 7010-7020, Dec. 2018.
8. Choi, J. I., M. Jain, K. Srinivasan, P. Levis, and S. Katti, "Achieving single channel, full duplex wireless communication," International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2010,Online], available: https://web.stanford.edu/∼skatti/pubs/mobicom10-fd.pdf..
9. Chen, S., M. Beach, and J. McGeehan, "Division-free duplex for wireless applications," IEEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 2, 147-148, Jan. 1998. Accessed on: Sept. 6, 2020.
10. Duarte, M., "Full-duplex wireless: Design, implementation and characterization,", PhD. Dissertation, Rice Univ., Houston, Tx, 2012.
11. Duarte, M., A. Sabharwal, V. Aggarwal, R. Janna, K. K. Ramakrishnan, C. W. Rice, and N. Shankaranarayanan, "Design and characterization of a full-duplex multiantenna system for WiFi networks," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1160-1177, Mar. 2012. Accessed on: Sep. 7, 2020.
12. Jain, M., J. I. Choi, T. Kim, D. Bharadia, S. Seth, K. Srinivasan, P. Levis, S. Katti, and P. Sinha, "Practical, real-time, full duplex wireless," MobiCom, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, Sep. 19–23, 2011.
13. Sahai, A., G. Patel, C. Dick, and A. Sabharwal, "On the impact of phase noise on active cancellation in wireless full-duplex," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 62, No. 9, 4494-4510, Nov. 2013. Accessed on: Sep. 7, 2020.
14. Trinder, J. R., "Parabolic reflector,", Patent WO 2005069443, Jul. 28, 2005.
15. Schemmel, P., G. Pisano, and B. Maffei, "Modular spiral phase plate design for orbital angular momentum generation at millimetre wavelengths," Opt. Express, Vol. 22, No. 12, 14712-14726, Jun. 2014. Accessed on: Sep. 8, 2020.
16. Gao, X., S. Huang, J. Zhou, Y. Wei, C. Gao, X. Zhang, and W. Gu, "Generating, multiplexing/demultiplexing and receiving the orbital angular momentum of radio frequency signals using an optical true time delay unit," J. Opt., Vol. 15, No. 10, 5401-5407, Aug. 2013. Accessed on: Sep. 8, 2020.
17. Mahmouli, F. E. and S. Walker, "Orbital angular momentum generation in a 60 GHz wireless radio channel,", 20th TELFOR, Nov. 2012, [Online]. Available: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6419210.
18. Bai, Q., A. Tennant, and B. Allen, "Experimental circular phased array for generating OAM radio beams," Electron. Lett. , Vol. 50, No. 20, 1414-1415, Sep. 2014. Accessed on: Sep. 8, 2020.