An extremely close integration of a dual band sub-6 GHz 4G antenna with a 28 GHz 5G antenna is proposed in this article. Firstly, a dual band 4G LTE (Long term Evolution) antenna is designed on an inexpensive substrate. The proposed antenna operates in the 2.5 GHz and 3.5 GHz LTE bands. The antenna has dimensions of 63 x 5.6 x 0.5 mm3, indicating an electrically small design. As the width of the antenna is less than 7 mm, it could be easily mounted on commercial mobile devices. The patterns for both the bands are almost omnidirectional as desired by the low frequency antennas. The proposed antennas do not carry any additional miniaturization or tuning circuitry hence simplifying fabrication process. Secondly, an angled dipole with Yagi topology is proposed, which works in the 28 GHz mmWave 5G band. The angled dipole has dimensions 28.3 x 5.6 x 0.5 mm3, which is also electrically compact and has a high front to back ratio. The microwave and millimetre wave antennas are placed orthogonally for minimal mutual coupling. The characteristics of both the antennas are not affected by the presence of the other element. Detailed results are shown in this article.
2. Rappaport, T. S., et al., "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5G cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013.
3. Kurvinen, J., H. Kahkonen, A. Lehtovuori, J. Ala-Laurinaho, and V. Viikari, "Co-designed mmwave and LTE handset antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 3, 1545-1553, March 2019.
4. Idrees Magray, M., G. S. Karthikeya, K. Muzaffar, and S. K. Koul, "Corner bent integrated design of 4G LTE and mmwave 5G antennas for mobile terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 84, 167-175, 2019.
5. Hussain, R., A. T. Alreshaid, S. K. Podilchak, and M. S. Sharawi, "Compact 4G MIMO antenna integrated with a 5G array for current and future mobile handsets," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 2, 271-279, February 2017.
6. Idrees Magray, M., G. S. Karthikeya, K. Muzaffar, and S. K. Koul, "Compact co-design of conformal 4G LTE and mmwave 5G antennas for mobile terminals," IETE Journal of Research, 2019.
7. Sharawi, M. S., M. Ikram, and A. Shamim, "A two concentric slot loop based connected array MIMO antenna system for 4G/5G terminals," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6679-6686, December 2017.
8. Li, X., X. Shi, W. Hu, P. Fei, and J. Yu, "Compact triband ACS-fed monopole antenna employing open-ended slots for wireless communication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 388-391, 2013.
9. Rajkumar, R. and U. K. Kommuri, "A compact ACS-fed mirrored l-shaped monopole antenna with SRR loaded for multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 64, 159-167, 2016.
10. Jarufe, C., et al., "Optimized corrugated tapered slot antenna for mm-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 3, 1227-1235, March 2018.
11. Muzaffar, K., M. I. Magray, G. S. Karthikeya, and S. K. Koul, "High gain broadband vivaldi antenna for 5G applications," 2019 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 496-497, Granada, Spain, 2019.
12. Kota, K. and L. Shafai, "Gain and radiation pattern enhancement of balanced antipodal Vivaldi antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 303-304, March 3, 2011.
13. Febvre, P. and M. Donelli, "An inexpensive reconfigurable planar array for Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 71-81, 2012.
14. Moriyama, T., M. Manekiya, and M. Donelli, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
15. Rocca, P., M. Donelli, G. Oliveri, F. Viani, and A. Massa, "Reconfigurable sum-difference pattern by means of parasitic elements for forward-looking monopulse radar," IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 7, No. 7, 747-754, 2013.