This paper proposes a novel wideband filter based on a quintuple-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) resonator. Two metallic vias loading a rectangular SIW cavity diagonal line are used to excite five resonant modes. A pair of the complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) etched on the top plane to further control the degenerating modes. A quintuple-mode filter is implemented based on this resonator. One transmission zero (TZ) at the lower frequency side and three TZs at the upper frequency side were obtained to improve the filter selectivity. A seven-order filter with wide stopband rejection is investigated under the use of a pair of microstrip low-pass filters (LPFs). The proposed SIW cavity filter has been designed, manufactured, and measured as an experimental example to verify the proposed concept. Simulation and measurement results agree with 49.8% of fractional bandwidth at 5.3 GHz central frequency.
2. Chu, P., et al., "In-line ports dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with flexible responses," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 28, No. 10, 882-884, 2018.
3. Liu, Z., G. Xiao, and L. Zhu, "Triple-mode bandpass filters on CSRR-loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavities," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 7, 1099-1105, 2016.
4. Liu, Q., D. Lv, D. Zhou, and D. Zhang, "Balanced triple-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 15, 843-845, 2019.
5. Chen, R. S., S. Wong, L. Zhu, and Q. Chu, "Wideband bandpass filter using U-slotted substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) cavities," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 25, No. 1, 1-3, Jan. 2015.
6. Huang, X., L. Zhou, Y. Yuan, L. Qiu, and J. Mao, "Quintuple-mode W-band packaged filter based on a modified quarter-mode substrate-integrated waveguide cavity," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 9, No. 11, 2237-2247, 2019.
7. Ammari, H., M. L. Riabi, F. Grine, and M. T. Benhabiles, "Quintuple-mode wideband substrate integrated waveguide filter with elliptic dielectric loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 13-20, 2020.
8. Ammari, H., M. L. Riabi, F. Grine, M. T. Benhabiles, R. Khalef, and C. Erredir, "Novel quintuplemode wideband filter based on substrate integrated waveguide using an elliptic metallic post," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 1-2, Busan, Korea (South), 2018.
9. Lim, J.-C., C.-S. Kim, D. Ahn, Y.-C. Jeong, and S. Nam, "Design of low-pass filters using defected ground structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2539-2545, 2005.
10. Zheng, C. Y. and F. A. Xu, "Compact wideband filter designed on single one-third equilateral triangular cavity," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 1993-1996, 2016.
11. Yun, T.-S., H. Nam, J.-Y. Kim, B. Lee, J.-J. Choi, K.-B. Kim, T.-J. Ha, and J.-C. Lee, "Harmonics suppressed substrate-integrated waveguide filter with integration of low-pass filter," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 447-450, 2008.