Affected by multipath propagation as well as the receiving conditions of an actual array, a distributed source model considering array uncertainties/errors is more consistent with the realistic scenarios. In this paper, a new direction finding method for coherently distributed (CD) sources in the presence of array gain-phase errors is proposed. By exploiting partly calibrated uniform linear arrays (ULA), the gain-phase errors are first estimated according to the relationship of elements of array covariance matrix, and then a two-step iterative procedure is introduced to achieve a joint estimation of nominal DOA and angular spread from sparse recovery perspective. Performance analysis and related Cramér-Rao bound (CRB) are also provided. Numerical examples show that the proposed method can provide improved resolution and estimation accuracy, and performs almost independently of gain-phase errors.
2. Zoubir, A. and Y. Wang, "Efficient DSPE algorithm for estimating the angular parameters of coherently distributed sources," Signal Processing, Vol. 88, No. 4, 1071-1078, 2008.
3. Meng, Y., P. Stoica, and K. M. Wong, "Estimation of the directions of arrival of spatially dispersed signals in array processing," Proc. IEE Radar, Sonar, Navigat., Vol. 143, 1-9, 1996.
4. Wan, L., et al., "DOA estimation for coherently distributed sources considering circular and noncircular signals in massive MIMO systems," IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, 41-49, 2017.
5. Tian, Y., H. Yue, and X. Rong, "Multi-parameters estimation of coherently distributed sources under coexistence of circular and noncircular signals," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 24, No. 6, 1254-1257, 2020.
6. Tian, Q., T. Qiu, and R. Cai, "DOA estimation for CD sources by complex cyclic correntropy in an impulsive noise environment," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 24, No. 5, 1015-1019, 2020.
7. Boujemaa, H., "Extension of COMET algorithm to multiple diffuse source localization in azimuth and elevation," European Transactions on Telecommunications, Vol. 16, No. 6, 557-566, 2005.
8. Hu, A., et al., "An ESPRIT-based approach for 2-D localization of incoherently distributed sources in massive MIMO systems," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 8, No. 5, 996-1011, 2014.
9. Zheng, Z., et al., "Efficient beanspace-based algorithm for two-dimensional DOA estimation of incoherently distributed sources in massive MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 12, 11776-11789, 2018.
10. Xu, H., Y. Tian, and S. Liu, "Linear-shrinkage-based DOA estimation for coherently distributed sources considering mutual coupling in massive MIMO systems," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 126, 1-6, 2020.
11. Liu, A., et al., "An eigenstructure method for estimating DOA and sensor gain-phase errors," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 12, 5944-5956, 2011.
12. Cao, S., Z. Ye, D. Xu, and X. Xu, "A Hadamard product based method for DOA estimation and gain-phase error calibration," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, 1224-1233, 2013.
13. Pesavento, M., A. B. Gershman, and K. M. Wong, "Direction finding in partly calibrated sensor arrays composed of multiple subarrays," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 9, 2103-2115, 2002.
14. Tian, Y., J. Shi, H. Yue, and X. Rong, "Calibrating nested sensor arrays for DOA estimation utilizing continuous multiplication operator," Signal Processing, Vol. 176, 1-11, 2020.
15. Lin, M. and L. Yang, "Blind calibration and DOA estimation with uniform circular arrays in the presence of mutual coupling," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 315-318, 2006.
16. Liu, H., et al., "A sparse-based approach for DOA estimation and array calibration in uniform linear array," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 16, No. 15, 6018-6027, 2016.
17. Bresler, Y., "Maximum likelihood estimation of a linearly structured covariance with application to antenna array processing," Proc. 4th Annual ASSP Workshop Spectrum Estimation Model., 172-175, Minneapolis, MN, USA, Aug. 1988.
18. Arlot, A. and A. Cellsse, "A survey of cross-validation procedures for model selection," Statistics Survery, Vol. 4, 40-79, Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS), 2010.
19. Herman, M. A. and T. Strohmer, "General deviants: An analysis of perturbations in compressed sensing," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 342-349, 2010.