A low-profile, electrically compact, and cost-effective antenna for wireless communication is presented. The antenna comprises self-complementary dipole elements on each side of the resonator surface. The dipole is excited using co-axial feed for an efficient impedance matching. An electrically compact antenna has dimensions of 0.13λ × 0.26λ at the lower frequency. The dipole covers 1.57 GHz and 3.65 GHz frequencies offering the measured impedance bandwidth in the order of 1.83% and 2.30% respectively. The self-complementary structure of the dipole having multiple coupling elements permits adequate tuning of the antenna on target frequencies. The resonant modes of the antenna can be tuned by merely modifying the position of the complementary structure on each side of the dipole. The engineered slots in the dipole permit further fine-tuning. The antenna presents gain in the order of 0.71 dBi and 1.27 dBi and stable radiation patterns for the two frequencies.
2. Kedze, K. E., H. Wang, S. X. Ta, and I. Park, "Wideband low-proﬁle printed dipole antenna incorporated with folded strips and corner-cut parasitic patches above the ground plane," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 15537-15546, 2019.
3. Singh, A., J. Meena, N. Baghel, and S. Mukherje, "Design of printed dipole antenna for enhanced coverage eﬃciency," 2020 URSI Regional Conference on Radio Science (URSI-RCRS), 1-6, IEEE, February 2020.
4. Ma, T. G. and S. K. Jeng, "A printed dipole antenna with tapered slot feed for ultrawide-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3833-3836, 2005.
5. Liu, N. W., L. Zhu, W. W. Choi, and X. Zhang, "“Wideband shorted patch antenna under radiation of dual-resonant modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2789-2796, 2017.
6. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Wideband periodic endﬁre antenna with bowtie dipoles," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 314-317, 2008.
7. Khandelwal, M. K., B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Kumar, "Defected ground structure: Fundamentals, analysis, and applications in modern wireless trends," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2017.
8. Patel, U. P. and T. K. Upadhyaya, "Design and analysis of compact μ-negative material loaded wideband electrically compact antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 79, 11-22, 2019.
9. Kishore, N., A. Prakash, and V. S. Tripathi, "A reconﬁgurable ultra wide band antenna with defected ground structure for ITS application," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 72, 210-215, 2017.
10. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Asymmetrically CPW-fed hourglass shaped UWB monopole antenna with defected ground plane," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 94, No. 3, 1685-1699, 2017.
11. Zeng, J. and K. M. Luk, "A simple wideband magnetoelectric dipole antenna with a defected ground structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1497-1500, 2018.
12. Upadhyaya, T. K., A. Desai, and R. H. Patel, "Design of printed monopole antenna for wireless energy meter and smart applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 27-33, 2018.
13. Tseng, C. F. and C. L. Huang, "A wideband cross monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2464-2468, 2009.
14. Patel, H. and T. K. Upadhyaya, "Printed multiband monopole antenna for smart energy meter/WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 43-51, 2020.
15. Shuai, C. Y. and G. M. Wang, "A novel planar printed dual-band magneto-electric dipoleantenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 10062-10067, 2017.
16. Liu, N. W., L. Zhu, W. W. Choi, and X. Zhang, "A low-proﬁle aperture-coupled microstrip antenna with enhanced bandwidth under dual resonance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1055-1062, 2017.
17. Upadhyaya, T., A. Desai, R. Patel, U. Patel, K. P. Kaur, and K. Pandya, "Compact transparent conductive oxide based dual band antenna for wireless applications," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Fall (PIERS — FALL), 41-45, Singapore, Nov. 19–22, 2017.
18. Lu, W. J., Q. Li, S. G. Wang, and L. Zhu, "Design approach to a novel dual-mode wideband circular sector patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 10, 4980-4990, 2017.
19. Patel, R., T. Upadhyaya, and A. Desai, "Capacitive couplings compact antenna for LTE/WiMAX/WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 12, 2977-2983, 2018.
20. Rezaeieh, S. A. and A. M. Abbosh, "Compact planar loop-dipole composite antenna with director for bandwidth enhancement and back radiation suppression," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 8, 3723-3728, 2016.
21. Zahid, M. N., J. Jiang, U. Raﬁque, and D. Eric, "Modiﬁed planar square-loop antenna for electronic article surveillance radio frequency identiﬁcation applications," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 10, 1161-1166, 2020.
22. Lu, W. J., G. M. Liu, K. F. Tong, and H. B. Zhu, "Dual-band loop-dipole composite unidirectional antenna for broadband wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2860-2866, 2014.
23. Rezaeieh, S. A., A. Zamani, K. S. Bialkowski, and A. M. Abbosh, "Unidirectional slot-loaded loop antenna with wideband performance and compact size for congestive heart failure detection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 10, 4557-4562, 2015.
24. Khanjari, S.P., S.Jarchi, and M. Mohammad-Taheri, "Compact andwidebandplanarloop antenna with microstrip to parallel strip balun feed using metamaterials," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152883, 2019.
25. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Negative refractive index materialinspired 90-deg electrically tilted ultra wideband resonator," Optical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 10, 107104, 2014.
26. Kedze, K. E., H. Wang, and I. Park, "Compact broadband omnidirectional radiation pattern printed dipole antenna incorporated with split-ring resonators," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 49537-49545, 2018.
27. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Novel stacked μ-negative materialloaded antenna for satellite applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 229, 2016.
28. Desai, A. and T. Upadhyaya, "Transparent dual band antenna with μ-negative material loading for smart devices," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 11, 2805-2811, 2018.
29. Geetharamani, G. and T. Aathmanesan, "“A metamaterial inspired tapered patch antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Wireless Personal Communications, 1-13, 2020.
30. Wang, Y. D., J. H. Lu, and H. M. Hsiao, "Novel design of semi-circular slot antenna with tripleband operation for WLAN/WIMAX communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1531-1534, 2008.
31. Azaro, R., E. Zeni, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Innovative design of a planar fractal-shaped GPS/GSM/Wi-Fi antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 3, 825-829, 2008.