A single-layer via-less rectangular patch antenna for automotive applications in C-band is proposed. To match the needs of a vehicular dedicated short range communication protocol, the resonant edge of the antenna is enlarged to narrow the beam-width in the H-plane, while at the same time a pair of thin slots serve as inhibitors for the higher modes, permitting adequate matching and polarization purity. The proposed single patch antenna presents a realized gain about 6.85 dB, H-plane beam-width narrower than ±32˚, E-plane beam-width larger than ±45.5˚, and return loss exceeding 20 dB with a 3 dB bandwidth of 500 MHz, with a minimum at 5810 MHz, hence suitable for coexistence of different communication standard in the C-band. Furthermore, its compact dimension permits the direct integration within a radio front-end.
2. Cidronali, A., S. Maddio, M. Passafiume, and G. Manes, "Car talk: Technologies for vehicle-to- roadside communications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 17, No. 11, 40-60, 2016.
3. Inserra, D., W. Hu, and G. Wen, "Planar antenna array design considerations for RFID electronic toll collection system," 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, IEEE, 2016.
4. Joshi, M. P. and V. J. Gond, "Design and analysis of microstrip patch antenna for WLAN and vehicular communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 163-176, 2019.
5. Inserra, D., W. Hu, and G. Wen, "Antenna array synthesis for RFID-based electronic toll collection," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 9, 4596-4605, 2018.
6. Maddio, S., G. Pelosi, M. Righini, and S. Selleri, "A compact series array for vehicular communication in the C-band," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1337-1338, IEEE, 2019.
7. Haran, M., G. Dilip Kumar, A. Ferris Garvin, and S. Ramesh, "Hexagonal microstrip patch antenna for early stage skin cancer identification," Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Vol. 79, No. 7, 555-566, 2020.
8. Ebenezer Abishek, B., A. Raaza, S. Ramesh, S. Jerritta, and V. Rajendran, "Circularly polarized circular slit planar antenna for vehicular satellite applications," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 34, No. 9, 1340-1345, September 2019.
9. Garg, R., Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
10. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, et al., Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Vol. 1 IET, 1989.
11. Agastra, E., G. Pelosi, S. Selleri, and R. Taddei, "Taguchi's method for multi-objective optimization problems," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 3, 357-366, 2013.
12. Pelosi, G., S. Selleri, and R. Taddei, "A novel multiobjective Taguchi's optimization technique for multibeam array synthesis," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1836-1840, 2013.