This manuscript proposes an Ultra-Wide band (UWB) Filtering Antenna (Filtenna) with application-based notches at Wi-MAX (3.3-3.7 GHz), WLAN (5.15-5.875 GHz) and ITU (7.725-8.275 GHz) bands. Initially, a monopole antenna is designed. To enhance bandwidth and bring about impedance matching, its ground plane is modified by introducing a triangular shaped defected ground structure (DGS) under the feedline, smoothening of upper edges of the ground plane and a rectangular DGS. Later, the triple notched band is created at 3.5 GHz, 5.5 GHz and 8 GHz by utilizing the notches generated by Inverted-U shaped defected microstrip structure (DMS) on the patch, U-type DMS on feedline, and C shaped resonator adjacent to the feedline respectively. The filtenna is an omnidirectional radiation pattern antenna which works within the proposed frequency band of operation having low insertion loss and good selectivity. Also, the VSWR is found to be <2, and peak gain is found to be 4 dBi. While studying the proposed filtenna, the simulated and measured frequency responses were observed to be in almost unison as if following each other.
2. Chung, W. T., C. H. Lee, and C. Y. D. Sim, "Compact monopole antenna design for WLAN/UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2874-2878, 2009.
3. Xiao, J. X., M. F. Wang, and G. J. Li, "A ring monopole antenna for UWB application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 179-182, 2010.
4. Sefidi, M., Y. Zehforoosh, and S. Moradi, "A monopole antenna for wireless communication systems and UWB application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 55, 1856-1860, 2013.
5. Chiu, C. W. and C. S. Li, "A CPW-fed band notched slot antenna for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1587-1592, 2009.
6. Weng, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact ultra wideband antennas with single band notched characteristic using simple ground stubs," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 523-529, 2011.
7. Tsai, L. C. and W. J. Chen, "A UWB antenna with band notched filters using slot-type split ring resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, 2595-2598, 2016.
8. Feng, D., H. Zhai, L. Xi, K. Zhang, and D Yang, "A new filter antenna using improved stepped impedance hairpin resonator," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2934-2938, 2017.
9. Tsai, L. C., "A ultra wideband antenna with dual-band band-notch filters," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1861-1866, 2017.
10. Zarrabi, F. B., A. M. Shire, M. Rahimi, and N. P. Gandji, "Ultra-wideband tapered patch antenna with fractal slot for dual notch application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1344-1348, 2014.
11. Habib, M. A., A. Bostani, A. Djaiz, M. Nedil, M. C. E. Yagoub, and T. A. Denidni, "Ultra wideband CPW-fed aperture antenna with WLAN band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 106, 17-31, 2010.
12. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an Inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
13. Tu, Z., W. Li, and Q. Chu, "Single-layer differential CPW-fed notch band tapered-slot UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1296-1299, 2014.
14. Hosain, M. M., S. Kumari, and A. K. Tiwary, "Sunflower shaped fractal filtenna for WLAN and ARN application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 346-354, 2020.
15. Santasri, K. and M. Debjani, "A planar microstrip-fed tri-band filtering antenna for WLAN/WiMAX application," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 233-237, 2015.
16. Rehman, S. U. and M. A. S. Alkanhal, "Design and system characterization of ultra wideband antennas with multiple band rejection," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 17988-17996, 2017.
17. Nouri, A. and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact UWB band notched printed monopole antenna with defected ground structure," IEEE Anten. and Wirel. Propagat. Lett., Vol. 10, 1178-1181, 2011.
18. Puri, S. C., S. Das, and M. G. Tiwary, "UWB monopole antenna with dual-band-notched characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 1-8, 2019.
19. Gao, G., L. He, B. Hu, and X. Cong, "Novel dual band-notched UWB antenna with T-shaped slot and CSRR structure," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 1584-1590, 2015.
20. Lin, C.-C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-band notched ultra wideband (UWB) antenna using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 102-109, 2012.
21. Yadav, A., S. Agrawal, and R. P. Yadav, "SSR and S-shape slot loaded triple band notched UWB antenna," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 79, 192-198, 2017.
22. Rahman, M., W. T. Khan, and M. Imran, "Penta-notched UWB antenna with sharp frequency edge selectivity using combination of SSR, CSRR and DGS," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 93, 116-122, 2018.
23. Hussein, H. M. G., "New compact micro strip patch filtenna structures with partitioned ground for 3G/4G applications," International Journal of Engineering & Technology, Vol. 12, 113-117, 2012.
24. Zaghloul, R. H. and H. M. G. Hussein, "A new compact multi resonance H-patch filtenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1718-1719, 2013.
25. Hussein, H. M. G., M. S. Ali, and A. R. Fouad, "A novel compact ultra-wideband monopole micro-strip filtenna," Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 13, 1106-1111, 2013.
26. Zaghloul, R. H. and H. M. G. Hussein, "Novel compact micro-strip filtenna structures," International Refereed Journal of Engineering and Science (IRJES), Vol. 3, 104-114, 2014.
27. Zaghloul, R. H. and H. M. G. Hussein, "Novel compact CPW filtenna structures," International Journal of Advanced Engineering Applications, Vol. 7, 15-25, 2014.
28. Hussein, H. M. G. and R. H. Zaghloul, "A new compact stripline patch filtenna module," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 12, 1-14, 2016.
29. Waqas, A. and D. Budimir, "UWB filtennas with dual band notch for WiMAX and WLAN bands using circular and square resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 1-3, 2016.
30. Li, W. T., Y. Q. Hei, H. Subbaraman, X. W. Shi, and R. T. Chen, "Novel printed filtenna with dual notches and good out-of-band characteristics for UWB-MIMO applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, 1-3, 2016.