The quaternion multiple signal classification (Q-MUSIC) algorithm reduces the dimension of covariance matrix, which would result in performance degrading of DOA estimation. An augmented quaternion MUSIC algorithm (AQ-MUSIC) based on concentered orthogonal loop and dipole (COLD) array is presented in this paper. The proposed algorithm uses an augmented quaternion formalism to model the completely polarized signals, which allows a concise and novel way to an augmented covariance matrix. The fact reveals that more accurate DOA parameters could be extracted from an augmented covariance matrix. Even compared with the long vector MUSIC (LV-MUSIC) algorithm whose dimension of covariance matrix is the same as AQ-MUSIC, the accuracy of DOA parameter estimation is also improved. Simulation results verify the performance promotion of the proposed approach.
2. Shu, T., J. He, X. Han, X. Li, and K. Yu, "Joint DOA and degree-of-polarization estimation of partially-polarized signals using nested arrays," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 24, No. 10, 2182-2186, 2020.
3. Chen, H., W. Wang, and W. Liu, "Joint DOA, range, and polarization estimation for rectilinear sources with a COLD array," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 8, No. 5, 1398-1401, Oct. 2019.
4. Wang, W., H. Chen, J. Jin, X. Wang, L. Wan, and X. Zhang, "“Quaternion-MUSIC for near-field strictly noncircular sources with large-scale polarization array," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 94, 137-145, Nov. 2019.
5. Nehorai, A. and E. Paldi, "Vector-sensor array processing for electromagnetic source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 376-398, Feb. 1994.
6. Yue, Y., Y. Xu, Z. Liu, and L. Shen, "Parameter estimation of coexisted circular and strictly noncircular sources using diversely polarized antennas," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 22, No. 9, 1822-1825, 2018.
7. Li, J. and R. T. Compton, "Angle and polarization estimation using ESPRIT with a polarization sensitive array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1376-1383, Sept. 1991.
8. Zoltowski, M. D. and K. T. Wong, "ESPRIT-based 2-D direction finding with a sparse array of electromagnetic vector-sensors," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 48, No. 8, 2195-2204, Aug. 2000.
9. Miron, S., N. Le Bihan, and J. I. Mars, "Quaternion-MUSIC for vector-sensor array processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1218-1229, Apr. 2006.
10. Le Bihan, N., S. Miron, and J. I. Mars, "MUSIC algorithm for vector-sensors array using biquaternions," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 9, 4523-4533, Sept. 2007.
11. Gong, X., Z. Liu, and Y. Xu, "Quad-quaternion MUSIC for DOA estimation using electromagnetic vector sensors," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2008, 204, 2008.
12. Castorina, G., L. Di Donato, A. F. Morabito, T. Isernia, and G. Sorbello, "Analysis and design of a concrete embedded antenna for wireless monitoring applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 58, No. 6, 76-93, Dec. 2016.
13. Chen, H., W. Liu, W. Zhu, M. Swamy, and Q. Wang, "Mixed rectilinear sources localization under unknown mutual coupling," Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 356, No. 4, 2372-2394, 2019.
14. Chen, H., et al., "RARE-based localization for mixed near-field and far-field rectilinear sources," Digit. Signal Process., Vol. 85, 54-61, Feb. 2019.