In this paper, a novel miniaturized circularly polarized (CP) antenna for BeiDou Satellite Navigation System (BDS) applications is presented. The proposed antenna is composed of three substrates with the same size, which are combined by four shorting pins. Parasitic strips are used to reduce the size, and the radiation patch is fed by two coupling feeding patches with the same amplitude and 90° phase difference. The overall dimension of the proposed antenna is only 18 mm x 18 mm x 23.5 mm (about 0.08λ0 x 0.08λ0 x 0.1λ0), and its weight is about 25 grams. The performance study with different geometric parameters has been conducted. A prototype based on optimized dimensions has been fabricated and measured, and the tested results exhibit a good impedance matching bandwidth ranging from 1.2 to 1.35 GHz centered at 1.268 GHz. This antenna also has stable hemispherical radiation patterns and good CP characteristics. Good agreement between analytical and experimental results is obtained.
2. Zheng, K.-K. and Q.-X. Chu, "A small symmetric slit shaped and annular slotted BeiDou antenna with stable phase center," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 146-149, 2018.
3. Shi, H., et al., "Miniaturized circularly polarized patch antenna using coupled shorting strip and capacitive probe feed," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 98, 235-240, 2019.
4. He, M., et al., "A small-size dual-feed broadband circularly polarized U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 898-901, 2015.
5. Ferreira, R., J. Joubert, and J. W. Odendaal, "A compact dual-circularly polarized cavity-backed ring-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 65, 364-368, 2017.
6. Ameen, M. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Metamaterial-based wideband circularly polarised antenna with rotated V-shaped metasurface for small satellite applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, 365-366, 2019.
7. Huang, Y.-H., Y. Wang, Y.-L. Zou, and J.-L. Guo, "A miniature circularly polarized air-borne antenna with wide angle coverage," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 497-500, 2017.
8. Li, R.-Q., Y.-X. Guo, B. Zhang, and G.-H. Du, "A miniaturized circularly polarized implantable annular-ring antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2566-2569, 2017.
9. Luo, Y., Q.-X. Chu, and L. Zhu, "A miniaturized wide-beamwidth circularly polarized planar antenna via two pairs of folded dipoles in a square contour," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, 3753-3759, 2015.
10. Lin, W. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Electrically small, low-profile, huygens circularly polarized antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 66, 636-643, 2018.
11. Zhang, B.-C., C. Jin, and Z.-X. Shen, "Low-profile broadband absorber based on multimode resistor-embedded metallic strips," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., 1-9, 2019.
12. Reddy, V. V. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Compact circularly polarized asymmetrical fractal boundary microstrip antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 118-121, 2014.
13. So, K. K., H. Wong, K. M. Luk, and C.-H. Chan, "Miniaturized circularly polarized patch antenna with low back radiation for GPS satellite communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, 5934-5938, 2015.
14. Gupta, S. and G. Mumcu, "Circularly polarised printed antenna miniaturised using complementary split-ring resonators and reactive pin loading," IET Microw. Antennas & Propaga., Vol. 9, 118-124, 2019.
15. Sun, C., H.-L. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "Analysis and design of a low-cost dual-band compact circularly polarized antenna for GPS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 64, 365-370, 2016.
16. Wong, H., et al., "Virtually shorted patch antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1213-1216, 2010.
17. Liao, S.-W. and Q. Xue, "Miniaturized VHF/UHF dual-band circularly polarized four-element sequential-rotation array antenna based on alternately overlapped bent radiation-coupled dual-L antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 66, 4924-4929, 2018.
18. Juan, Y., W.-C. Yang, and W.-Q. Che, "Miniaturized low-profile circularly polarized metasurface antenna using capacitive loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 67, 3527-3532, 2019.
19. Liu, C.-R., Y.-D. Zhang, and X.-G. Liu, "Circularly polarized implantable antenna for 915 MHz ISM-band far-field wireless power transmission," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, 373-376, 2018.