In this paper we investigate a new design of high sensitivity photonic crystal temperature sensor (PCTS). A square lattice of silicon (Si) rods immersed in air matrix is used as a basic structure. The designed sensor consists of two inline quasi-waveguides which are coupled to a resonant cavity (RC). The sensing principle is based on Si refractive index change caused by the variation of the temperatures over a range from 0 to 80˚C. This variation leads to an important shift in the resonance wavelength. The performance of the suggested temperature sensor has been analyzed and studied using finite-difference time domain (FDTD) method. The results show that our designed structure offers a high sensibility of 93, 61 pm/˚C and quality factor of 2506.5. Its structure is very compact with total size 115.422 µm2, which is suitable for nanotechnology based sensing applications.
2. Jindal, S., S. Sobti, M. Kumar, S. Sharma, and M. K. Pal, "Nanocavity-coupled photonic crystal waveguide as highly sensitive platform for cancer detection," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 16, No. 10, 3705-3710, 2016.
3. Pal, S., A. R. Yadav, M. A. Lifson, J. E. Baker, P. M. Fauchet, and B. L. Miller, "Selective virus detection in complex sample matrices with photonic crystal optical cavities," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, Vol. 44, 229-234, 2013.
4. Thenmozhi, H., M. Mani Rajan, V. Devika, D. Vigneswaran, and N. Ayyanar, "D-glucose sensor using photonic crystal fiber," Optik, Vol. 145, 489-494, 2017.
5. Hsiao, F. and C. Lee, "Computational study of photonic crystals nano-ring resonator for biochemical sensing," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 10, No. 7, 1185-1191, 2010.
6. Kumar, A., T. S. Saini, and R. K. Sinha, "Design and analysis of photonic crystal biperiodic waveguide structure based optofluidic-gas senso ," Optik, Vol. 126, No. 24, 5172-5175, 2015.
7. Zhang, Y., Y. Zhao, and Q. Wang, "Multi-component gas sensing based on slotted photonic crystal waveguide with liquid infiltration," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 184, 179-188, 2013.
8. Ammari, M., F. Hobar, and M. Bouchemat, "Photonic crystal microcavity as a highly sensitive platform for RI detection," Chinese Journal of Physics, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1415-1419, 2018.
9. Wang, X., Q. Tan, C. Yang, N. Lu, and G. Jin, "Photonic crystal refractive index sensing based on sandwich structure," Optik, Vol. 123, No. 23, 2113-2115, 2012.
10. Arunkumar, R., T. Suganya, and S. Robinson, "Design and analysis of photonic crystal elliptical ring resonator based pressure sensor," Int. J. Photon. Opt. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 1, 30-33, 2017.
11. Olyaee, S. and A. A. Dehghani, "High resolution and wide dynamic range pressure sensor based on two-dimensional photonic crystal," Photonic Sensors, Vol. 2, No. 1, 92-96, 2012.
12. Shanthi, K. V. and S. Robinson, "Two-dimensional photonic crystal based sensor for pressure sensing," Photonic Sensors, Vol. 4, No. 3, 248-253, 2014.
13. Rajasekar, R. and S. Robinson, "Nano-pressure and temperature sensor based on hexagonal photonic crystal ring resonator," Plasmonics, Vol. 14, No. 1, 3-15, 2018.
14. Hocini, A. and A. Harhouz, "Modeling and analysis of the temperature sensitivity in two-dimensional photonic crystal microcavity," Journal of Nanophotonics, Vol. 10, No. 1, 016007, 2016.
15. Fu, H., H. Zhao, X. Qiao, Y. Li, D. Zhao, and Z. Yong, "Study on a novel photonic crystal temperature sensor," Optoelectronics Letters, Vol. 7, No. 6, 419-422, 2011.
16. Mallika, C. S., I. Bahaddur, P. C. Srikanth, and P. Sharan, "Photonic crystal ring resonator structure for temperature measurement," Optik, Vol. 126, No. 20, 2252-2255, 2015.
17. Boruah, J., Y. Kalra, and R. K. Sinha, "Demonstration of temperature resilient properties of 2D silicon carbide photonic crystal structures and cavity modes," Optik, Vol. 125, No. 5, 1663-1666, 2014.
18. Chen, Y.-H., W.-H. Shi, L. Feng, X.-Y. Xu, and M.-Y. Shang-Guan, "Study on simultaneous sensing of gas concentration and temperature in one-dimensional photonic crystal," Superlattices and Microstructures, Vol. 131, 53-58, 2019.