In this work, computer-aided impedance analysis and genetic-based synthesis of a multiwall carbon nanotube impedance matching section (MWCNTIMS) are proposed. Transmission line model (TLM) of a multiwall carbon nanotube is used for the computer-aided impedance analysis. Continuous parameter genetic algorithm (CPGA) is used for the genetic-based synthesis. A simple, fast and effective impedance analysis and synthesis approach for an MWCNTIMS is presented. The results of the analysis and synthesis for different examples of MWCNTIMS are given and discussed in detail. The results show that the effect of variation of the distance from the ground plane of the outer shell is very small on the values of input resistance and input reactance. The values of input resistance and input reactance decrease while the value of inner radius or the total number of shells increases. Since the diameter increases with the increasing value of inner radius and the total number of shells, the values of input resistance and input reactance decrease with increasing diameter. While the value of nanotube length increases the values of input resistance and input reactance increase.
2. Hoenlein, W., F. Kreupel, G. S. Duesberg, A. P. Graham, M. Liebau, R. V. Seidel, and E. Unger, "Carbon nanotube applications in microelectronics," IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Technol., Vol. 27, No. 4, 629-634, 2004.
3. Song, Y. S. and J. R. Youn, "Influence of dispersion states of carbon nanotubes on physical properties of epoxy nanocomposites," Carbon, Vol. 43, No. 7, 1378-1385, 2005.
4. Rosa, I. M. D., F. Sarasini, M. S. Sarto, and A. Tamburrano, "EMC impact of advanced carbon fiber /carbon nanotube reinforced composites for next generation aerospace applications," IEEE Trans. EMC, Vol. 50, No. 3, 556-563, 2008.
5. You, K. and K. Nepal, "Design of a ternary static memory cell using carbon-nanotube -based transistors," Micro & Nano Letters, Vol. 6, No. 6, 381-385, 2011.
6. Attiya, A. M., "Nanotechnology in RF and microwave applications: Review article," 29th National Radio Science Conference (IEEE Catalog Number: CFP12427-PRT), 9-18, Cairo, Egypt, 2012.
7. Bockrath, M. W., "Carbon nanotubes: Electrons in one dimension,", Ph.D. dissertation, Univ. California, Berkeley, CA, 1999.
8. Burke, P. J., "Luttinger liquid theory as a model of the gigahertz electrical properties of carbon nanotubes," IEEE Trans. Nanotech., Vol. 1, No. 3, 129-144, 2002.
9. Burke, P. J., "An RF circuit model for carbon nanotubes," IEEE Trans. Nanotechnol., Vol. 2, No. 1, 55-58, 2003.
10. Salahuddin, S., M. Lundstrom, and S. Datta, "Transport effects on signal propagation in quantum wires," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1734-1742, 2005.
11. Li, H., W. Y. Yin, K. Banerjee, and J. F. Mao, "Circuit modeling and performance analysis of multi-walled carbon nanotube interconnects," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1328-1337, 2008.
12. Sarto, M. S. and A. Tamburrano, "Single-conductor transmission-line model of multiwall carbon nanotubes," IEEE Trans. Nanotech., Vol. 9, No. 1, 82-92, 2010.
13. Gunel, T., "Computer-aided noise analysis of a multiwall carbon nanotube," Micro & Nano Letters, Vol. 13, No. 2, 165-170, 2018.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, USA, 1998.
15. Holland, J. H., "Genetic algorithms," Scientific American, 44-50, July 1992.
16. Haupt, R. L. and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, 2nd Edition, A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., N.Y., 2014.
17. Haupt, R. L., "An introduction to genetic algorithms for electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 2, 7-15, 1995.
18. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetic," IEEE Antennas Propagation Mag., Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-25, 1997.
19. Weile, D. and E. Michielssen, "Genetic algorithm optimization applied to electromagnetics: A review," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 343-353, 1997.
20. Gunel, T. and E. Aydemir, "Application of continuous parameter genetic algorithm to the problem of synthesizing bandpass distributed amplifiers," AEU (International Journal of Electron. Commun.), Vol. 56, No. 5, 351-354, 2002.
21. Gunel, T. and I. Erer, "Application of fuzzy genetic algorithm to the problem of synthesizing circular microstrip antenna elements with thick substrates," AEU (International Journal of Electron. Commun.), Vol. 56, No. 3, 215-217, 2002.
22. Gunel, T., "A genetic approach to the synthesis of composite right/left-handed transmission line impedance matching sections," AEU (International Journal of Electron.Commun.), Vol. 61, No. 7, 459-462, 2007.