Recently, modern wireless communication applications are extended to call high frequency bands including millimeter waves for 5G systems. Therefore, the propagation properties of such waves in different media have attracted many researchers. In this work, the results of the S-parameters measurements of mortar with four thicknesses are obtained using a nondestructive free space measurement technique for the frequency bands from 8 GHz up to 32 GHz. The obtained results of the dielectric properties and loss factors for the prepared mortar samples are realized. The variation in both the reflection and transmission coefficients and the dielectric properties with curing time conditions of mortar structure is examined. The dielectric properties of water are realized using the proposed method to subtract the effects of water contents from the prepared mortar samples. The effects of the sample thickness and relaxation frequency are considered. The obtained measurements are compared to the simulated results based on a full wave simulation software package of CSTMWS algorithms. Finally, excellent agreements are achieved between the simulated and measured results.
2. Lin, Z., X. Du, H. Chen, B. Ai, Z. Chen, and D. Wu, "Millimeter-wave propagation modeling and measurements for 5G mobile networks," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 26, No. 1, 72-77, February 2019.
3. ACI Committee 301-10, "Specification for structural concrete,", Reported by ACI Committee 301, 2010.
4. Bois, K. J., A. D. Benally, P. S. Nowak, and R. Zoughi, "Cure-state monitoring and w=c ratio determination of fresh Portland cement-based materials using near field microwave techniques," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 47, 628-637, June 1999.
5. Koymen, O. H., et al., "Indoor mmWave channel measurements: Comparative study of 2.9GHz and 29GHz," Proc. IEEE GLOBECOM, 1-6, December 2015.
6. Trabelsi, S., A. W. Kraszewski, and S. Nelson, "Nondestructive microwave characterization for determining the bulk density and moisture content of shelled corn," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 9, 1548-1556, 1998.
7. Feng, W., et al., "When mmWave communications meet network densification: A scalable interference coordination perspective," IEEE JSAC, Vol. 35, No. 7, 1459-71, 2017.
8. Elwi, T. A. and Y. Alnaiemy, "Electromagnetic characterizations of cement using free space technique for the application of buried object detection," Diyala Journal for Pure Science, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1-10, July 2015.
9. Elwi, T. A., "Printed microwave metamaterial-antenna circuitries on nickel oxide polymerized palm fiber substrates," Nature Scientific Reports, Vol. 9, No. 2174, 1-14, January 2019.
10. Elwi, T. A., "On the percentage quantization of the moisture content in the iraqi petroleum productions using microwave sensing," Al-Ma’mon College Journal, No. 28, 262-277, December 2016.
11. Jamil, M., et al., "Mater struct,", Vol. 46, 77, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-012-9886-2.
12., , www.cst.com.
13. Elwi, T. A., A. J. Salim, A. N. Alkhafaji, J. K. Ali, and A. S. A. Jalal, "Complex constitutive characterizations of materials in the X-band using a non-destructive technique," Special Issue of the 8th International Advances in Applied Physics and Materials Science Congress (APMAS 2018), ACTA Physica Polonica A, Vol. 135, No. 4, 567-570, August 2019.
14. Elwi, T. A., "Printed microwave metamaterial-antenna circuitries on nickel oxide polymerized palm fiber substrates," Nature Scientific Reports, Vol. 9, No. 2174, 1-14, January 2019.
15. Elwi, T. A. and Y. Alnaiemy, "Electromagnetic characterizations of cement using free space technique for the application of buried object detection," Diyala Journal for Pure Science, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1-10, July 2015.
16. Goncalves, F. J. F., A. G. M. Pinto, R. C. Mesquita, E. J. Silva, and A. Brancaccio, "Freespace materials characterization by reflection and transmission measurements using frequency-byfrequency and multi-frequency algorithms," Electronics, Vol. 7, 260, 2018.